9mm vs. 40 cal

My son just got his LTC A and was thinking, against my suggestion, to grab a 40 Shield instead of the 9mm (impatient yut). Because I never pay attention to the availability and cost differences as compared to 9mm (in these high demand/low supply times), I was curious if I could get some quick feedback on the aforementioned. TIA

Right now it is far easier to find ammo in 40..not my cup of tea i prefer 45 but that said if he wants to shoot alot now 40 may be way to go but not for me.

9mm is extremely rare these days, meanwhile all gun shops I go into have a good supply of .40. It's just a bit more expensive than 9, which doesnt really matter if you cant get any 9 in the first place.

I would go with 9 , but no ammo!! I agree I rather have .45 over forty anyway! You can .40 and .45 ammo . I just bought value pack of .45 for $ 43. I believe .40 ammo is around 20 dollars depends on brand

last time i made a pickup, i took the only 4 boxes of 45acp... no 9 and usually no 45 to be found. They did have bulk boxes of 40 in stock.

40 just will take more practice perhaps but I dont think it necessarily a bad idea. I rather have it in 9mm though personally. I prefer 9 / 45 over 40.

9mm used to be about 12 a box of 50 and 15 ish a box of 40 for me anyways before the craze. I am hearing my buddy picked up steel cased 9mm 50/rnd boxes for 15 a pop this past week. Not sure where the prices lay as of right now. Good luck my friend.

I would let him know what you think once or twice but leave him to his own choice.
Nobody wants someone suggesting to them what they should be buying and carrying more than once.
If he has read up and handled both calibers then he'll be able to make his own decision.
You can always change your preference later, it's not a life sentence

I bet the majority are saying 9, get the 9, dont be an idiot do the 9, dude 9,bro 9, trust me get the nine..
Oh for fuq sake shove the nine up your ass and i'll choose the bastard 40
I remember thats how it went for me hahaha
Anyhow a father would always like the best for his son and i'm sure you mean well [smile]
And now being a father myself we'll see how i try to impart my knowledge/preference when that time comes

I personally have never held or shot any of the Shield. But do know this, I would choose the caliber that I could best consistently put on target with no issues.

I've shot the shield in 9 as well as 40, what about the m&p 40c, you can purchase an extra barrel and mag, swap Em out and have both if you want! Either way you will most likely need a trigger job with either, my 40c was horrible! Greg Durr, Durr Precision, does great work, did my 40c as well as my friends 40shield! But really shoot both if you can and whatever works for you!

Iam down with the .40 and best thing is with a simple barrel change my glock 27 becomes a 26! Can't do that with a 9! Plus my .40 cal dies will also load 10mm. Can't wait to get one of them!

Get the nine, it will stop bears and everyone knows 40s always blow up.

ummm... I've have a Sig .226 that I've had for 10+ years, put 5K rounds through (estimate) and it has yet to blow up..

Personally being in Mass, my take on it is get the biggest you can get while still fitting 10 in the mag.

Last edited:
ummm... I've have a Sig .226 that I've had for 10+ years, put 5K rounds through (estimate) and it has yet to blow up..

Personally being in Mass, my take on it is get the biggest you can get while still fitting 10 in the mag.

sorry, two running jokes on NES, one that 9mm is good for stopping bear and two is that every 40 glock is a hand grenade. Just a joke.

While I own two .40 cal handguns I tend to carry my 9mm's. I like the higher capacity, 9mm is easier to shoot, and when it comes to effectiveness if .40 is better its only marginally so. My usual carry guns are the Shield and full sized M&P.

I can't believe this hasn't made it into this thread yet:
http://www.vintagepistols.com/40isbad.html

Now that's some funny stuff right there... I think if I was buying a carry gun right now, It would be a .40 just so that I could shoot it enought to be proficient. I bought an SR9C a couple weeks ago, and really wish i had bought the SR40C that was sitting next to it, 6 feet from boxes of ammo while there wasn't a single round of 9mm to be had:confused:

Sent from an undisclosed location using twigs-n-berries

Thanks. Like many have said, it's his deal (and his money - I don't have a moat around my house - unless it keeps raining), so he can get what he wants. I thought for some reason the 40 cal ammo (as another consideration) was significantly more expensive than 9mm. One good reason for him to buy the .40 is to stay out of my 9mm stash. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom