• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm Suppressor Makeover

I have two Rebel DFNDR9 cans. For those unfamiliar, it's a tubeless 9mm modular can, consisting of 5 screw-apart baffles, and end cap, and an expansion chamber.

Looks like this:

dfndr9_rebelsilencers_flipped.png

And partially disassembled:

IMG_8492.JPG

The expansion chamber can contain either a proprietary booster assembly or a direct thread mount.

InkedIMG_8545_LI_jpg-1545050.JPG

The booster piston is not replaceable, and is threaded 1'2"-28. The direct thread adapters included with the cans are 1/2"-28 and 5/8"-24, and oh, by the way, Rebel is out of business. Pretty limiting as far as these guys go. Also, I found the booster to be far more prone to throw back gobs of shit into my face. Much more so than my other cans.

Since the can is rated to .577 Nitro (not really, but they claim it's rated to .338 Lapua), I want to use it on my .300BLK, and on my 9mm carbines (1/2"-36). What to do. In it's "factory" configuration, I have to remove the blast chamber, pull out the piston assembly, and swap in a direct thread mount, and they don't come in 1/2"-36 anyway. I don't really want to swap the barrels on my 9mm carbines just to use this can.

Instead, I sent both cans to ECCO Machine & Fabrication for his magic. To make the cans more usable across multiple platforms, he opened the expansion chamber to 1 3/8"-24 to allow me to use any Gemtech mount accessory (which he knew I had), and then fabricated an adapter to let me also use the YHM QD mount. He then applied a coat of Molyresin to make them truly "black."

InkedIMG_8736_LI_jpg-1545054.JPG

Now I can 1) use any Gemtech mount, including 3-lug, booster, or direct mount:

IMG_1677.JPG

IMG_1679.JPG

IMG_1681.JPG

or 2) by swapping out the A1 flash hiders on my 9mm carbines with a YHM QD flash hider:

IMG_1672.JPG

I can move from this:

IMG_1665.JPG

to this in literally seconds:

IMG_1668.JPG

And by adding a YHM QD flash hider to my .300BLK rifles, I can do the same thing. Same can, no muss no fuss:

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

So, in very little time and for very little money, I've gone from two marginally useful cans to really universal cans that can move effortlessly across multiple platforms. I couldn't be happier, and I couldn't recommend ECCO Machine more highly.

NOTE: NEITHER OF THESE CANS ARE COMPATIBLE WITH THE REMINGTON 1858 REVOLVER, EITHER ORIGINAL OR THE UBERTI REPRODUCTION.

I had Ecco update my older YHM Turbo to 1.375x24 so I could run Plan B. They do incredible work, for a few extra bucks they refinished it and it looks new.

I had Ecco update my older YHM Turbo to 1.375x24 so I could run Plan B. They do incredible work, for a few extra bucks they refinished it and it looks new.
And they're some of the nicest folks in the industry, to boot. They must have motto of "Make Suppressors Great Again," because they transformed mine. I've also got one in the queue to be re-cored. Can't wait to get that one back, too.

And they're some of the nicest folks in the industry, to boot. They must have motto of "Make Suppressors Great Again," because they transformed mine. I've also got one in the queue to be re-cored. Can't wait to get that one back, too.

They just moved into a much bigger space. There quality is paying off for them and it makes me happy. Good peeps for sure.

Back
Top Bottom