9mm question.

i'll pay $1 a shot for what many consider is the best in self defense. hate to have to say "maybe it wouldve stopped em but i saved 50 cents instead." but thats just me, to each his own. no, i havent seen 9mm 50rd box yet but i'm sure they'll show up.

The PDX isn't that much better than the other stuff that's out there to warrant paying the premium for it, that's all I'm getting at. You can obviously overpay if you want, I'm not going to stop you. I've seen all the tests. It well passes the FBI test protocol... and so doesn't a bunch of ammo that won't cost you nearly as much. I'm not bashing the ammo, just the packaging and distribution model.

I doubt they'll ever show up in 50 round boxes except as contract overruns (like Q4369) or maybe as Win Ranger Bonded, which is the LE-line analog for the PDX. There's too much profit to be made by the mid levels and gun shops on the 20 round boxes. The gut feeling I get about the existence of that box is it's all marketing based. It's a "pressure upsell" thing for new gun buyers. They know they can probably get a first time CCW to suck for paying like $50 for 40 rounds of ammo at the register. [laugh]

-Mike

Last edited:
Careful with the PDX stuff. I'd recommend inspecting every single round.

I bought a box of rounds from walmart and 2 or 3 rounds (out of 20 or something) had the casing F'd up. i don't reload, so i'm not sure if there's a term for it, but i looked like when they were seating the bullet, it rolled the edge of the casing, and smashed it into itself. So the round looked normal, until you turned it 180 degrees, and saw that 1/6 of the casing basically ripped down the side, and i'd assume sitting under the bottom of the bullet.

Needless to say i didn't run these through the gun. So, just a word of caution.

I got to try 10 rds of my JHP federal hydra-shok 124grain low recoil this weekend. it was awesome, the firearm was amazing I was very impressed with the m&p 9c I'm definitely going to get a 45c m&P and a full size 40. i was very happy. thanks for all the info guys.

"Premium® Personal Defense®

Federal Premium handgun loads are the best around. Hydra-Shok® is the first choice for many military and law enforcement officials across the globe, while Expanding Full Metal Jacket (EFMJ) is unmatched in non-hollow point technology. EFMJ provides higher energy, more reliable expansion, lower risk of collateral damage and reduced recoil—vitally important features for a personal defense round."

Last edited:
This 20 round box stuff is crap...The whole thing is especially stupid given that with things like an XD or a G17, the box only fills one mag, and maybe gives you a few extra.

A lot of people carry their gun with a full mag and no other available ammo, so it makes perfect sense to them. I'm always reading things on here about "I accidentally shot off my carry mag", etc.

Silly question: Does anybody use FMJ for "carry" ammunition? Kind of removes the whole argument.

I have before, I'd feel 100% comfortable doing so again provided it feeds reliably. People agonize over petty stuff when it comes to ammo IMO.

Call S&W they will send you a shipping tag. Get it fixed they stand behind the guns 110%. you will have it back in 7-10 day top!

Back
Top Bottom