9mm Pocket gun with second strike capabilities?

Looking to see if any of you learned ladies and gentlemen know of a 9mm pocket gun with second strike capability. I have looked at the PF9/LC9, PM9, and P290 and all of them lack a second strike capability.

I know it may be a little paranoid but pulling the trigger again will always be faster than racking the slide when seconds count.

Thanks in advance for your responses

Sig P290. But pulling the trigger again if your gun goes click really isn't the best course of action IMHO. Pulling the trigger again and then racking the slide will always be slower than just racking the slide right away.

Last edited:
P290 is not second strike capable per the literature. I agree tap rack bang is still the gold standard, but should I only have one hand to use I would like to have the capability of pulling the trigger again. I'm from the "Better to have it and not need it" school of thought

If second strike capability is a must, look at a S&W 940. [smile] Personally I'd get a non-mass Kahr PM9 and learn to tap and rack.

ETA: or practice racking one handed on your belt or holster

Last edited:
I know my Bodyguard was because I had some Remington UMC that took a few strikes to fire off. My HK P2000sk I can also double strike as it has the LEM trigger.

Last edited:
I am no expert, but I would say any DAO firearm would be double strike capable. This would include the LC9, and P290. I know my DAO Bodyguard was because I had some Remington UMC that took a few strikes to fire off. My HK P2000sk I can also double strike as it has the LEM trigger.

Wrong the lc9 does not

Looking to see if any of you learned ladies and gentlemen know of a 9mm pocket gun with second strike capability.

Such a beast basically doesn't exist, so you're better off not looking for it and trying to figure out how to rid yourself of the second strike fetish.

If the gun doesn't go off hitting the same POS round over again is no guarantee of fixing the problem. It's a fools errand to trust that same round- you should be jacking in another one. Modern SD ammo basically will fire if you whisper "bang" at it so I fail to see the utility of such a feature.

If you are wedded to the concept, look at a Ruger LCR or a J-frame. Those are the only things that are going to fit in a pocket that have decent power and the equivalent of "second strike" capability. (Or, as eisenhow says, the 940... neat revolver, but hard to find. ).

-Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone, I figured this unicorn did not exist but I figured I would ask.

Last edited:
Kel tec P-11. Thank you md2020.

One of the main reasons I have been in search of this is I have had to use a second strike on a primer I'm a real gunfight and, well it worked so I want it on any gun I am going to be carrying

weak firing pin springs or hard primers?

I rarely have encountered a factory-fresh 9mm round that didn't fire on the first strike, and never had a FTF that was resolved by a second strike. Could be the issue is the gun rather than the ammo -- I have to wonder if the reports of firing on a second strike are more about a "weak primer strikes"? Do subcompacts have subcompact firing pin springs to match?[grin]

If that's the case, maybe it makes more sense to look for guns known to have harder-hitting firing pins?

P290 is not second strike capable per the literature. I agree tap rack bang is still the gold standard, but should I only have one hand to use I would like to have the capability of pulling the trigger again. I'm from the "Better to have it and not need it" school of thought

I'm not sure where I got the bad info, but I'm very sorry for passing it along. I should have double-checked before posting.

Such a beast basically doesn't exist, so you're better off not looking for it and trying to figure out how to rid yourself of the second strike fetish.

-Mike

This is incorrect. Take a look at the Taurus 709 Slim. Its pocket worthy & has strike 2 capability,

A CZ-82 will let you pull the trigger all day long. Granted, its in 9x18 and not 9x19, but it's the closest thing I could think of.

This is incorrect. Take a look at the Taurus 709 Slim. Its pocket worthy & has strike 2 capability,

Yeah, but it's a Taurus.

True enough, but some might not consider it a pocket pistol. I think a PM9 is a pocket pistol. A Rohrbaugh R9. Things like an LC9, or the Taurus... not so much.

Not to mention, it's a taurus product... [laugh]

-Mike

Your reasoning for wanting "second strike" capability is for reliability, right?

Then why would you even consider Taurus?

Most 9mms with short barrels aren't going to produce a lot of muzzle energy anyways. You can get 9mm energy out of a snubbie .357 though.

Can you expand on this situation where you used a second strike? For some reason I'm thinking it was with a duty pistol? Maybe a poorly maintained one? Maybe you don't clean your guns?

I was always told that you are trained correctly as soon as you hear that click you go to corrective action. Second strike is not corrective, it's trying the same thing twice.

I know it may be a little paranoid but pulling the trigger again will always be faster than racking the slide when seconds count.
Actually, it will be slower, because in that situation the proper course of action is tap-rack-bang, rather than wasting time pulling the trigger again.

I fully understand that every manual and instructor will tell you the text book remedy for pulling the trigger and nothing happening is tap rack bang and I agree. But from my real world experience when your reptile brain is running the show and rounds are heading the wrong direction the first thing you are going to try and do is pull that trigger again.

In 2003 during OIF 1 I was using a gov issued M9 and gov issued fmj, aimed pulled trigger... Nothing ,
pulled trigger again out of instinct and successfully place two shots.Therefore I am a big believer in second strike capability. And that's all I have to say about that.

As for me not cleaning and maintaining any gun I have ever touched I know I shouldn't be but as a marine it's a gut instinct to be offended at a comment like that. Inthe military I went months without showering but not a day without cleaning my weapons. In the civilian world I still buy q-tips in bulk and spend hours making sure all my guns are in inspection ready shape.

Thanks again for the suggestions I am a fan of CZ's does anyone make self defense 9x18?

Last edited:
Which is why I think that second strike is a bad thing. Nine time out of ten, if a centerfire round doesn't go off, trying to fire again fails as well. If you have double strike, you may sit there pulling the trigger when you should tap rack bang. If you don't have double strike, the trigger won't pull, telling your lizard brain that you had better go to plan B pronto.

I too am one of uncle sam's misguided children and am also a big fan of repeat strike ability (via the M9).
My pocket pistol is a LWS Seecamp .32 acp and it has second strike.

smitty

I think Beretta is one of the few of the bigger names who hasn't yet come out with a compact conceal carry gun. Sure, they have a whole bunch of older ones, but those are in .22 and .25 and other smaller calibers, and are slightly older technology. I mean more along the lines of a polymer or alloy frame, and maybe DAO or striker. Maybe they can shrink the 92/M9 technology down, and give it a single stack and see how that works.

The only semi auto's that I have with second strike capability are the CZ-75, CZ-40B, S&W5906, S&W99, and Sig 226 -p all relatively full sized guns.

thanks for your service... my pm9 doesnt have second strike capabilities but its gone bang every time ive pulled the trigger. since i bought mine, i have a few friends who have purchased a pm9 and also have never had a ftf either. one frined had some feeding issues but it was how he was loading the mag and during the "break in" period. not to sound like a pitch man but the pm9 is a quality pistol that is made locally and will be the most comfortable carry 9mm you'll find. good luck with your search...

Which is why I think that second strike is a bad thing. Nine time out of ten, if a centerfire round doesn't go off, trying to fire again fails as well. If you have double strike, you may sit there pulling the trigger when you should tap rack bang. If you don't have double strike, the trigger won't pull, telling your lizard brain that you had better go to plan B pronto.

Yup. A Ruger P-series will let you pull the trigger again and again, if I remember correctly. The chances of success the second and subsequent times I imagine is quite low, so you're better off following the above advice.

The only semi auto's that I have with second strike capability are the CZ-75, CZ-40B, S&W5906, S&W99, and Sig 226 -p all relatively full sized guns.

Add Ruger to that list.

Back
Top Bottom