• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm Pistol Survey - Win Glock 19 - Please help!

Maybe I'm just overly cautious but a post from a brand new guy with a February 2019 join date asking about my gun ponreferences makes my spider senses tingle.

I'm sorry, but any firm that starts off asking my age and income, plus makes it mandatory to answer before moving on to the next page, I just discount and go away. Just my opinion. If you want my opinion of guns and accessories, without my personal info, fine, I'd participate.

You should have one of the options to be "choose not to answer".......

Jay

If you are not training with your off hand then you are putting yourself at a serious disadvantage and really, you aren't taking your training very seriously at all.
The ambi controls are not there just for the lefties. The subject has been covered at length, in detail, for at least the last half century.

Oh boy. Another NES member whose word is gospel. The 1911 I qualified with on Parris Island had almost a half a million rounds through it according to the armorer that handed it to me, and with all do respect to your vast knowledge and expertise on the subject, just because a pistol doesn't have a safety and mag release on the other side doesn't mean you can't shoot it lefty. Ask the millions and millions of guys who used them.
I shoot lefty every week. And while the subject may have been covered for the last half a century, which coincidentally is almost how long I have been shooting, the notion that you can't defend yourself with a firearm because the safety is not where you like it is pathetic.
I don't ever remember hearing one Marine in the Infantry whining about not having ambi controls. And most of us were pretty handy with a firearm. Probably not as serious or as well trained as you are, but with all our disadvantages we managed. And it's a good thing too, seeing as combat was pretty much what we did for a living.

Firstly, a sincere thank you for your service.

When you state nobody except lefties care about ambi controls, that is not really true. People who make their living training self defense and can choose any weapon choose one with ambi controls. And recommend ambi controls to their students.
When you have one choice, you can "manage" to operate a mag shange off-hand. But why? It's pretty awkward and takes longer.

I never claimed to be an expert, on any subject. But I do read books and I know things.

Fritz

Firstly, a sincere thank you for your service.

When you state nobody except lefties care about ambi controls, that is not really true. People who make their living training self defense and can choose any weapon choose one with ambi controls. And recommend ambi controls to their students.
When you have one choice, you can "manage" to operate a mag shange off-hand. But why? It's pretty awkward and takes longer.

I never claimed to be an expert, on any subject. But I do read books and I know things.

Fritz

Let me apologize. When I reread my post, I recognized that it was unnecessarily harsh.
I took issue with your claim that those that do not shoot ambi guns do not train off hand. Of course we do.
Depending upon the pistol, ambi controls just increase the likelihood you will engage one of those controls when you don't want to. The smaller the pistol, the greater the likelihood. Like hitting the mag release during your draw or sweeping a safety with your support hand.
Shooting lefty is one thing, and a good idea to practice. Mag changes lefty however means your right hand is injured/shot/ blown off, at which point you will need to reload one handed

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom