• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm load for USPSA

So, I'm not super new to reloading but I never have shot a match and I would like to try to compete at some point next year in USPSA. I shoot a CZ 75 Shadow and that is what I plan to use in Production division.

I have tested some 124gr. JHP bullets with 3 powders: TG, N320 and Win231.

I seated these at 1.0850.

I have chrono a few strings and I had a PF ranging from 131 to 135 or so, with SD varying from 7 to 13.

I then tested for accuracy but I did this indoor at about 10 yards or so resting on a rifle bag on top of an ammo can.
I was told I should probably test these at about 15 yards or so outdoors and bench rested with my wrists rested not necessarily with the base of the pistol rested as well. Also using different type of targets., like something simple as a 1 inch square with line crossing across the box.

In any event the pics below show the indoor testing. I'm wondering if for my intended purpose any the loads shown offer an accuracy that is more than acceptable for USPSA matches. Would like to hear from those who practice for matches and use their own reloads as well.

I realize that testing reloads is a skill on its own and I'm not very experienced with it yet.
Lastly I consider myself a below average pistol shooter. I have a feeling that I should or could get better groups with these bullets/podwers combination if I did my part. I just don't want to spin my wheels too much as I'm not looking at Bullseye competition.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.

Titegroup: 3.8, 3.9, 4.0gr.
3.8TG.jpg 3.9TG.jpg 4.0TG.jpg

Win231: 4.0, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3gr.
4.0gr.Win231.jpg 4.1Win231.jpg 4.2Win231.jpg 4.3Win231.jpg

VV N320: 4.1, 4.2, 4.3gr.
4.1N320.jpg 4.2N320.jpg 4.3N320.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at you the targets, I would expect more consistent groupings - the spread just looks too open/big....

I will wait to see what others say....

You are ready to shoot matches. Your gun and any of those loads is probably capable of a ragged hole at 15 yards, but that will take more practice. I am happy with a fist size group at 25 yards.

I have chrono a few strings and I had a PF ranging from 131 to 135 or so, with SD varying from 7 to 13.

I was told I should probably test these at about 15 yards or so outdoors and bench rested with my wrists rested not necessarily with the base of the pistol rested as well. Also using different type of targets., like something simple as a 1 inch square with line crossing across the box.

Any of these loads that cycle your pistol 100% and are a comfortable PF over minor will work. The method above is how you should test your loads. Whatever target allows the best sight picture for you is what you should use.

Form follows function in many things and this includes loads for competition. Having reliable equipment allows you to focus on yourself without thinking about malfunction correction.

I have a particular Open Division pistol that just flat out runs. It will reliably feed and fire .38 Super, 38 Super Comp, .38 T&J, and even the odd piece of 9x23 (Damn you John H.) that happens to find its way through the Dillon SDB.

I'm not a top shooter by any means and never will, be but I have been shooting and competing for about 42 years and have seen what works.

Dry fire practice is your friend. [wink]

As has been said, focus on reliability first: Misfeeds & malfunctions will cost you more time than misses. Cleaning your weapon regularly and case gauging your reloads are good steps.

Ask me how I know.

Grab one of these if you happen to have an extra c note:
46386d5ca619a59138e67edca2bf581c.jpg

The OAL will depend on the bullet, and the bullet quality does have something to do with accuracy as well.

With good bullets and brass in good shape, I'd expect 1 inch groups at 5 yards if I do my part, and sub 2" at 10 yards off-hand. Slow fire, prepping the trigger hard.

Along with accuracy, you need to be concerned with Power Factor.

I can tell you ... with a 124gr V-Crown bullet at 1.1 OAL, using 3.8gr and 3.9gr of TiteGroup, you may not make PF. At 4.1gr, you're good with the V-Crown at 1.1 OAL. (That was the basic load for the amateurs shooting on the former Team SIG.

For most of the USPSA targets you'll run at - even at the Area matches - my thought is trigger control, an acceptable sight picture and Power Factor are what you want to concentrate on. That's my opinion as a C/B class shooter who does not practice much.

Thanks all for chiming in.

I do know I am not a good shooter as I have never practiced regularly, and that is one of the reasons I want to get into competition, to push myself into practice and become a better shooter regardless of scoring, class level etc. Plus I have been getting bored shooting at the same things over and over.

Steve, I did make minor with with TG at 3.8gr and 1.085 OAL. I have determined my CZ max OAL with the push test. The OAL came from backing off around 0.15 from where the bullet is touching the rifling.

I don't really have a lot of preference powder wise. I noticed N320 runs the cleanest of all 3 but that is not an issue for me. I have loaded a lot with TG and I'm comfortable with it, and Win231 meters really well and it's pretty forgiving.

Bigblue, thanks for the advice and yes I use Wilson gauges for all my reloads. I have learned that pretty quickly in my early reloading days...

I think at this point I'll load a few and practice. I will come to one of the Wednesday practices and just watch how it's done by those who are experienced. Haven't bought a rig yet.

USPSA is not an strict accuracy game. It doesn't matter how close or far apart the holes are in the A zone, they score the same.

I would use the cheapest powder that reliably makes PF and runs 100% in the gun.

Get out there and shoot a match. I'm sure people will help you out with equipment at practice if you ask ahead of time. The guys were awesome and getting me into the sport

USPSA is not an strict accuracy game. It doesn't matter how close or far apart the holes are in the A zone, they score the same.

I would use the cheapest powder that reliably makes PF and runs 100% in the gun.

Get out there and shoot a match. I'm sure people will help you out with equipment at practice if you ask ahead of time. The guys were awesome and getting me into the sport

Yep. I need to jump in and just do it. The guys have been always very helpful the couple of times I was at a practice.

shoot the 131 PF N320 load, because thats what all the cool kids do

or shoot the TG load because TG is cheap
And here I thought I as 'cool' now that I went to N320. Now my bullet weight isn't correct???

Yep. I need to jump in and just do it. The guys have been always very helpful the couple of times I was at a practice.
YES! don't over think it. Start going to matches and take it from there.

True, but you have a bigger "aimpoint of certainty" that will assure you an A hit if you gun shoots 1" groups than you do it it shoots 4" groups. With 1" groups, your actual point of aim (assuming a properly sighted in gun) must be at least 1/2" inside A zone edge. With a 4" group, the actual aimpoint must be 2" in inside from the edge to be assured of an A.

Next time you're ordering bullets get a sampler of 147gr (or ask for a handful from someone) and give those a try, most find it a softer recoil impulse. My load is 3.5 N320 under a 147gr coated bullet at 1.115" which gives me around 137pf from my Shadow Target. Easy impulse and will put them through the same hole all day as long as I'm not the one on the trigger

Next time you're ordering bullets get a sampler of 147gr (or ask for a handful from someone) and give those a try, most find it a softer recoil impulse. My load is 3.5 N320 under a 147gr coated bullet at 1.115" which gives me around 137pf from my Shadow Target. Easy impulse and will put them through the same hole all day as long as I'm not the one on the trigger
Yes i have loaded 147s before but not specifically for the Shadow. Will definitely try some. I do have quite a bit of these 124s to go through first and see how I can make them work. I will definitely test some 147s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I've been shooting 4.0 grains of Titegroup with Berry's 124gr. RN for about 10 years with excellent results in my Glocks and STI pistols. OAL is about 1.139 give or take. PF is between 130-135 depending on gun. Runs 100% reliable in everything, including 9mm AR and Beretta CX4 Storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i have loaded 147s before but not specifically for the Shadow. Will definitely try some. I do have quite a bit of these 124s to go through first and see how I can make them work. I will definitely test some 147s.

I think you will find that using heavier bullets like the 147's will require less powder, thus reducing the snappiness of the recoil. Something to try.

I think you will find that using heavier bullets like the 147's will require less powder, thus reducing the snappiness of the recoil. Something to try.
I agree bigblue. Oh well will use these first and see how it goes.

I personally am more of a fan of the 124gr in my SP01 shadow.
My production load is a 124gr JHP with 4.4ish gr of N320.

I actually prefer the snappier load of the 124 with the heavy gun as opposed to the more "sluggish" 147 feel.

Steve

I do like these 124s JHP and i think i will be happy with them. Perhaps if anyone is willing to shoot my pistol and see what they think about the reloads might be pretty helpful as well.

I do like these 124s JHP and i think i will be happy with them. Perhaps if anyone is willing to shoot my pistol and see what they think about the reloads might be pretty helpful as well.

Or just float you a mag full of 147's so you can try them side-by-side.

I've got some Zero 147 gr JHP I can give you a few if you'd like to try them. I use 3.4 gr N320 at 1.135 for my son's G34 and he loves it compared to other weights/powder I've used for his rounds. Power factor is consistent at 131 , accuracy is great and they cycle the gun every time.

I've got some Zero 147 gr JHP I can give you a few if you'd like to try them. I use 3.4 gr N320 at 1.135 for my son's G34 and he loves it compared to other weights/powder I've used for his rounds. Power factor is consistent at 131 , accuracy is great and they cycle the gun every time.
Thanks tysdad115. Appreciate the offer very much.

Its 9mm, so chasing the softest, lightest load is kinda silly. Find a combination that returns the front sight exactly back to point of aim. Once the buzzer goes off, you aren't going to notice a difference

Its 9mm, so chasing the softest, lightest load is kinda silly. Find a combination that returns the front sight exactly back to point of aim. Once the buzzer goes off, you aren't going to notice a difference

Yep. I experimented with various coated/plated/jacketed bullets in 124 and 147 gr and loaded them back to back in my DW PM9 and honestly could not notice much of a difference in recoil. I will say the overall noise was louder with the 124s (obviously due to more powder) and the 147s seemed just a tiny tiny tiny bit more sluggish than the 124s. But I'll use either bullet weight. Recently I tried the 147 gr Blue Bullets with N320 and really enjoyed them.

Of course, the recoil impulse may be different with a lighter polymer pistol compared to an all steel 1911...have not tried it yet in my M&P. But as supermoto said, once that buzzer goes off and your heart is pounding/adrenaline rushing, I doubt you'll notice a difference [laugh] For me anyway...

Last edited:
shoot the 131 PF N320 load, because thats what all the cool kids do

And it smells good too right Sean? I remember you asking me at one of the steel challenge matches, "what are you using for powder?"
Me: N320 why?
You: Because it smells like s*** [laugh]

Yeah just come to a match and try it out. I'm new to shooting competition also (first IDPA match in May 2015) but everyone was very friendly and knowledgeable at my first IDPA match. I encountered the same atmosphere at my first USPSA match in June of this year. It is far from a cut throat atmosphere that's for sure.

As has been said, focus on reliability first: Misfeeds & malfunctions will cost you more time than misses. Cleaning your weapon regularly and case gauging your reloads are good steps.

Ask me how I know.

Grab one of these if you happen to have an extra c note:
46386d5ca619a59138e67edca2bf581c.jpg

Yep. I learned that lesson last week at a steel plate match. I shot 500+ rounds in my DW PM9 without cleaning and began having a bunch of FTE's which cost me to lose a few rounds. Got home and cleaned it well then ran 200 rounds through it on Saturday with no issues.

500 rounds without cleaning may not sound like much, but I often forget how tight the DW 1911 is. Or it certainly could be some bad rounds that were underpowered - who knows. I don't case gauge my rounds which has worked well for me up until last week [laugh]. Though I certainly do not disagree that it is a good thing to do. I'm just too cheap and lazy. Maybe I'll grab one of those 100 round gauges at some point.

My pistol gets cleaned the night before every match. Before practice... not so much. A clean gun is a happy gun and malfunctions suck it!

Back
Top Bottom