• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm load for 124gr with Titegroup

Hey all-

I wanted to ask you guys what have you liked for 9mm 124gr plated bullets using Titegroup. I have load some test rounds (not shot yet) and used the data from Hodgon website. I also would like to ask the COL you have settled on.

These are X-treme plated bullets and will be used for a G19 and a Beretta 92FS.

Thanks for your inputs.

Recently, well, a few months back, I loaded a thousand of the X-Treme 124gr PRN for my neighbor. I didn't use TG; it was Longshot (or WW452AA?) and seated them to 1.150" as best as I recall. If you work from the max COL until they feed from the magazine and chamber correctly, you should find your ideal COL.
FWIW, he shoots these without issue from his Taurus PT92, p938 and Shield.

My standard load is 124gr. Berry's RN plated, 4.0gr Titegroup 1.143" OAL No issues running in STI Spartan, Glock 26,19,17 & 34 or my 9mm AR I put together with a NES YHM lower. YMMV
Interesting. As the Hogdon site doesnt come up to 4.0gr. Looks like will be same as the 115gr i have loaded with 4.0gr of TG getting about 1100fps.

I am doing 3.7gr of Titegroup 124gr bullet. Anything between 3.6 and 4.0 should work fine. I am also using the Xtreme bullets.

When I first came up with this data, I only made 30 rounds. 10 to test in each of my 9mm.

Last edited:
Tested 3.6-4.0 gr titegroup with berry's RN 124, col 1.150. Hodgton indicates you can go to 4.1. I was happy at 4.0 gr in M&P 9 and Sig p938

As an fyi, stay away from the 147gr berrys with titegroup. My M&P and G34 love the 115 and 124s, but the 147s won't group for crap in either gun with any load and I took it up to 3.9 which is pretty hot.

As others said right around 4.0 for 124s.

Last edited:
4.2, 1.155 coal will work well. I found anything much lower to be too weak.

Thanks all. I usually use the data for lead bullets when i load plated ones. Starting at mid range up to max. Looks like i will test some 4.0 and 4.2 as long as they stay below 1200. Appreciate the input.

If you can't find a properly developed published load for that combination, do yourself a favor: Call Hodgdon, and ask them for the specific load data.

They have staff on hand willing and eager to make sure you are safe.

It's too easy for otherwise well intentioned members here to make a typo, and cause your gun to explode. Please do the right thing, and ask the company making the powder you want to use what they suggest.

4.2 of titegroup over a 124FMJ is my 9mm load. C.O.A.L. is 1.150" with Hornandy bullets. Works good in everything from my 1911 to Glock YMMV

Last edited:
I just loaded 1000 124 grain plated bullets with 4.2 grains of Titegroup. They're mostly for use in an M11/9 submachinegun but they work fine in a S&W Shield also.

If you can't find a properly developed published load for that combination, do yourself a favor: Call Hodgdon, and ask them for the specific load data.

They have staff on hand willing and eager to make sure you are safe.

It's too easy for otherwise well intentioned members here to make a typo, and cause your gun to explode. Please do the right thing, and ask the company making the powder you want to use what they suggest.
Thanks. I have done that before and i will probably do it again. That is certainly a good advice.

Holy thread revival!!
Cast Bullets “should” require less powder than coated or jacketed. Your bullet shape will have an affect on your OAL which will also affect the amount of powder you use.
So, first you should find an OAL that “plunks” in all your chambers, then you can load a few test rounds. It’s been too many years since I’ve loaded an actual cast lead bullet, but I would start with less than 4.0 grains.
Using Precision’s 125gr RN coated I was able to make Minor PF with 3.5gr of TiteGroup and an OAL of 1.057.
With Bayou’s 124gr RN coated I used 3.5-3.7gr TiteGroup and an OAL of 1.130.
As usual, your mileage may vary, and you should proceed with caution, and if you don’t already have one, get yourself a chronograph so you can validate your test ammo.

Hey all-

I wanted to ask you guys what have you liked for 9mm 124gr plated bullets using Titegroup. I have load some test rounds (not shot yet) and used the data from Hodgon website. I also would like to ask the COL you have settled on.

These are X-treme plated bullets and will be used for a G19 and a Beretta 92FS.

Thanks for your inputs.

I used 4.2 gr w 1.155 COAL on 124gn fmj, made thousands of those. Anything below 4gr imo is mouse fart territory.

As an fyi, stay away from the 147gr berrys with titegroup. My M&P and G34 love the 115 and 124s, but the 147s won't group for crap in either gun with any load and I took it up to 3.9 which is pretty hot.

As others said right around 4.0 for 124s.

3.6 gr of Titegroup with 147 gr is the goto load for my Uzi 9mm subsonics. Excellent cycling .

Xtreme plated 124 grn bullets
4.0 grn titegroup
1.124 oal - shortened to run in Taylor Freelance extensions - +11 170mm

Makes minor power factor out of all my 9mm glocks from 43 through 34

Slightly off topic but I am surprised you are able to load 9mm with COL of 1.155 or even 1.124. I have a bunch of 9mm guns and have arrived at loading all of my reloads at 1.100 and even down to 1.090 to ensure positive chambering without contacting the lands. My H&K VP-9 and SA Emissary need the COL short to avoid hitting the lands before lockup.

Slightly off topic but I am surprised you are able to load 9mm with COL of 1.155 or even 1.124. I have a bunch of 9mm guns and have arrived at loading all of my reloads at 1.100 and even down to 1.090 to ensure positive chambering without contacting the lands. My H&K VP-9 and SA Emissary need the COL short to avoid hitting the lands before lockup.
I have to load short for my HKs. Must be the superior engineering and tighter tolerances.

I started with Hodgdon's load data a couple years ago, loading to 1.15. Bought some Taylor Freelance mag extensions and had to shorten the OAL to 1.124. Seems to run fine in all of my guns. Mostly Glocks, some Sigs, a Kimber Target-II, a Ruger PCC and a couple others.

1704215407997.png

Back
Top Bottom