9mm JSP (soft point)?

So I am joining a new indoor range and it turns out they don't allow FMJ ammunition. I shoot mostly 9mm, so can anyone tell me about jacketed soft point or other non fmj range ammo?[mg]

Thanks.

What they said.

You may also be able to use frangible, but you'll have the same issues (i.e. cost & availability).

So I am joining a new indoor range and it turns out they don't allow FMJ ammunition. I shoot mostly 9mm, so can anyone tell me about jacketed soft point or other non fmj range ammo?[mg]

Thanks.

Run, don't walk, out the door and don't pay them your hard-earned money for the privilege of having to hunt down expensive, hard-to-find ammunition.

Unless you reload, you will spend more money on the ammo than its worth to join whatever range it is you are thinking about joining. Also, which Range?

It's an inexpensive range in Norwood. It's still worth joining to shoot 22, etc. If I could find JSP that would be great. I know 9mm is hard to find now, and I've never seen JSP, so I didn't know if you can ever find it in Mass.

My indoor range has the same rules and that's why I never shoot at the indoor range, always outdoor. Not to mention the ventihilation isn't that great.

I started out shooting at the indoor and would buy the Bullseye blue box remanufactured lead round nose bullets from Four Seasons. But that didn't last long when I started shooting outdoors.

frange_zps143d6194.jpg~original

dat frange.

this (actual brand) frangible rifle ammo literally disintegrated on its way out of roland deschain's AR. i lol'd.

Is the backstop plywood? Or is it because JHP has lead exposed to fire? The answers to these questions are irrelevant; go elsewhere.

JSP is easy to find in .357 mag but yeah.....in 9mm good luck. Run......don't walk......to another range to join. Do they by chance have someome that reloads that type of ammo and is willing to sell it to you? Have heard of that being done at ranges before.

Just get 9mm RNL if your gun can cope with it... best source for the buck around here probably is going to be M&M reloads or QMMO, if he makes it... there's also bullseye reloads, if they're still around.... or better yet, roll your own. Frankly, I absolutely refuse to use any indoor facility that won't let me run jacketed, it's an obnoxious restriction (It's 2013... hello?) instead of having a fund drive at whatever club you're at to have an appropriate backstop installed.

-Mike

Is there really any appreciable difference in backstop wear between FMJ and JSP at the same velocity? I don't understand rules like this. Don't give this range your money and feed fallacy.

Maynard Rod and Gun has the same restrictions on their indoor range. Sucks, but it's close for me and I usually only shoot .22lr anyway.

For my 9mm's I use either WinClean or RNL loaded by a friend. You might try Undercover Arms in Hudson for the WinClean. They used to carry it. Haven't checked lately.

Aloha

Just get 9mm RNL if your gun can cope with it... best source for the buck around here probably is going to be M&M reloads or QMMO, if he makes it... there's also bullseye reloads, if they're still around.... or better yet, roll your own. Frankly, I absolutely refuse to use any indoor facility that won't let me run jacketed, it's an obnoxious restriction (It's 2013... hello?) instead of having a fund drive at whatever club you're at to have an appropriate backstop installed.

-Mike
MR&G is in the process of doing this. It's expensive to bring in the new steel for the backstop and then to take apart the front of the building to get it in place. The indoor range is underneath the main building.

Is there really any appreciable difference in backstop wear between FMJ and JSP at the same velocity? I don't understand rules like this. Don't give this range your money and feed fallacy.

Biggest issue is insurance. MR&G specifies only pistol calibers but we've had idiots shoot .223 FMJ and put holes in the backstop. Once that happens, the backstop is "damaged" according to insurance and unsafe for use.

It's all about money.

Aloha

We can't shoot magnum loads either which is lame. I don't really care because even if they did allow any FMJ rounds including rifle, I still wouldn't shoot indoors. I got my steel plates that I'd much rather shoot at outdoors.

Worcester Pistol and Rifle used to be no fmj at indoor range. I don't know if that changed when they did their new range.

Lots of indoor ranges that don't allow FMJ do allow a plated bullet (Berry's or Rainier Ballistics for example...). A thin copper plate over a swaged lead bullet (lead is softer than hard cast with a swaged bullet) is easy on back stops. Plated bullets also have no exposed lead surfaces making for a bit cleaner burn. Many ranges prefer the plated bullet over RNL as it is a cleaner shooting round.

I'm a Berry's dealer and they just starting shipping plated product to me about 2 months ago. Prior to that I hadn't been able to get anything from them since last January. My backlog is still out to 6+ months though. I still can't get everything I need to even begin to catch up.

you're in norwood so there are a lot of options in the area---if you haven't put your cash on the table check the gun club threads

Back
Top Bottom