9mm crimped brass

Fixxah

NES Member
While running assorted 9mm brass through my progressive press for decapping, it seems that every S&B case jammed up the works. Soft primers and crimping don't mix too well.
y2u5e6eg.jpg

Nato stamped is the same deal.uploadfromtaptalk1390754561949.jpg

Guess I may have to buy a universal decapping die. Then again, the scrap bucket is more appealing for these cases.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others. Adjusting the pin lower causes damage the the primer pocket.

Last edited:
It must be too short. Its an older die and I haven't taken it apart to see if another pin will fit.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

+1 on the decapping pin. Also, I have had nothing but trouble with S&B 9mm brass. I just dump the stuff as it is not worth reloading.

PS Is the case going all the way up into the die?

Definitely going all the way in. I have had similar issues with S&B .45auto and culled it from the herd. I had been decapping on my ss but the shellholder doesn't accept all cases.
The two that stand out are Win and S&B. Both crimped.

-Proud to be dad every day, a licensed plumber most days, and wish I was a shoemaker on others.

I've had this happen too, so I purposely extended the decapping pin as far as it could go:

I loosened the spindle, put a decapped case in the shellholder, ran it up, and spun the spindle down until the nut that holds on the decapping pin hit the bottom inside of the case, then backed it off a turn.

The decapping pin was sticking out of the bottom of the die about 1/2". It had to poke the primers out, right?

Well, wrong. What Fixxah showed in the photo still happened. The only way this was possible was that the primer was sticking onto the decapping pin, and was being pulled back into the primer pocket when I lifted the handle.

I fixed it by using a file to somewhat flatten the tip of the decapping pin. I figure that the rounded pin was getting in between the anvil and primer cup, causing the primer to stay on the pin and get pulled back in. Once I flattened the tip, the problem went away.

Back
Top Bottom