9mm COAL ?

loading 9mm with refurbished range-brass using 121 gr Berry's hp hollow-base at COAL of 1.085 - 1.095 " which plunk-drops at the correct depth to chamber hood and started looking at COALs scratching my pointy little head at published COALs of 1.150 - 1.175 " (6.6 gr HS-6 not an issue.)

seems odd.... calipers zeroed - base to flat hp nose +/- 0.010 " attributed to nose variations (burs) and/or seating die taper-crimp mode reacting to different caseneck thickness of range brass.

Any observations from you would be appreciated - not worried about safety or function - just wanted to brag about my new sa-35 which must remain unfired until my B-day (groan).

Are you sure your loading HP ( hollow points ) and hollow base bullets ?

If your ok with the powder charge, seat the bullet until it passes the plunk test, go a smidge shorter and then hit the range.

Be worried about safety and function.
My first batch of cast bullets caused issues that I'm still sorting thru. I shortened COAL and recrimped to resolve an issue of chambering.
Now I have a sizing die and a case gage.
And 250 plus rounds to sort and take down and fix and evaluate.

Attachments

• 20230120_205102.jpg
    20230120_205102.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 43
I usually just seat until the pass the plunk test. Every bullet will have a different profile , so the OAL will vary. Flat points and hollow points may be considerably shorter than a RN bullet .

If your ok with the powder charge, seat the bullet until it passes the plunk test, go a smidge shorter and then hit the range.
If you don't have data for the exact bullet profile then try to find out what depth load data seats a similar weight bullet at and start your bullet at that depth or less (longer COAL)

loading 9mm with refurbished range-brass using 121 gr Berry's hp hollow-base at COAL of 1.085 - 1.095 " which plunk-drops at the correct depth to chamber hood and started looking at COALs scratching my pointy little head at published COALs of 1.150 - 1.175 " (6.6 gr HS-6 not an issue.)

seems odd.... calipers zeroed - base to flat hp nose +/- 0.010 " attributed to nose variations (burs) and/or seating die taper-crimp mode reacting to different caseneck thickness of range brass.

Any observations from you would be appreciated - not worried about safety or function - just wanted to brag about my new sa-35 which must remain unfired until my B-day (groan).
You're either trolling or very new/careless on reloading.
That's too nice of a gun to lose both it and a hand to a sloppy reload.

Honestly curious what load data you're using Pastera?
6.8grns of HS6 is what is use but at 1.16" COAL typically. AFAIR

@240Geezer
I looked it up on hodgdon's site
6.6gn for a 124gn max load

What's on the bottle isn't the full load data and isn't the newest.
It is true that hodgdon data is usually light but the OP is also seating almost 0.1" shorter in a case with very little space to start with.

Is his load going to kaboom his new gun - who knows. But he certainly won't know it won't given the careless way he seems to have come up with the recipe

Be advised there are a ton of bullets for 9mm. Weight is not the only factor. Pay attention to the ogive. I had some 125’s that would not chamber in some guns with a tight chamber but we’re ok in others. All at the recommend OAL.
I thought that was my issue but appears not so much now.

@240Geezer
I looked it up on hodgdon's site
6.6gn for a 124gn max load

What's on the bottle isn't the full load data and isn't the newest.
It is true that hodgdon data is usually light but the OP is also seating almost 0.1" shorter in a case with very little space to start with.

Is his load going to kaboom his new gun - who knows. But he certainly won't know it won't given the careless way he seems to have come up with the recipe
Yeah that's why I shouldn't have shortened and recrimped tighter I believe.

Are you sure your loading HP ( hollow points ) and hollow base bullets ?

Yes got a thousand from midway - Berry's 9mm hollow-point hollow-base 121 gr and they do pass the plunk test and clear the hood same same factory round.

Plunk test in the chamber of the firearm should be = to the case gage - no?

Honestly curious what load data you're using Pastera?
6.8grns of HS6 is what is use but at 1.16" COAL typically. AFAIR
1.16" is 0.070" further out than he is stating.
If you know that with your gun that max charge doesn't cause pressure issues with your bullet at that length that's not an issue at all.
I won't publish how much silhouette I run in my 9mm "hotter" loads but I carefully worked up to those levels.

Yes got a thousand from midway - Berry's 9mm hollow-point hollow-base 121 gr and they do pass the plunk test and clear the hood same same factory round.

plunk test will tell you if the case is sized correctly or if the bullet is in the lands. It doesn't tell you if the OAL is too short. You can plunk an empty case, doesn't mean that is the correct OAL.

The bullet overall length can be found on Berry's website, you can compare that to see if you think the OAL is too short

That's not how it works
Here is a thread where a guy explains how to come up with a starting seating depth for a bullet with no load data.
Don't stop reading when the guy writes 1.060 - keep reading the whole post
And at least start at the minimum charge if you're going to seat shorter than stated COAL

I'm using a Taurus 92 for test bed on this load and seein 6.8 gr. HS-6 as a maximum and Berry's is softer than XTP... no?
Now I'm going to climb into a fireman's suit with welder's goggles and asbestos mittens with a full head mask close my eyes and squueeeze.

I'm using a Taurus 92 for test bed on this load and seein 6.8 gr. HS-6 as a maximum and Berry's is softer than XTP... no?
Soft/hard isn't the issue
Effective case volume is
Seating to a smaller Effective case volume causes the burn to progress exponentially faster - read that as pressure rapidly progressing to kaboom as the bullet is seated deeper even with the same powder charge.

plunk test will tell you if the case is sized correctly or if the bullet is in the lands. It doesn't tell you if the OAL is too short. You can plunk an empty case, doesn't mean that is the correct OAL.

The bullet overall length can be found on Berry's website, you can compare that to see if you think the OAL is too short
I began loading this 121 Berry's hphb bullet at 1.125 " and the plunk test had the case-base sticking out beyond the chamber hood... then worked my way down on seating depth until the clearance was just below the hood... is this not a reasoned approach?

Soft/hard isn't the issue
Effective case volume is
Seating to a smaller Effective case volume causes the burn to progress exponentially faster - read that as pressure rapidly progressing to kaboom as the bullet is seated deeper even with the same powder charge.
The 6.6 gr. Of HS-6 is not a compressed load for this projectile or any standard 121 - 125 gr. bullet - might be for a Barnes - I started at 1.125 " and found the plunk test sticking out far in excess of a factory cartridge and shortened the depth to match factory minus a few thousandth.

For sure - compressed loads are never going into my guns - I've been loading for 50 years and while I don't know everything I've never kaboomed anything - flattened a few primers with some Elmer Keith loads which were scratched from my Favorites.

why not load as long as the mags, chamber and bullet allows?
Ogive on these 121 gr. Berry's? - dunno - that's why I'm here - anyone loaded these HPHB Berry's in a 9mm and what COAL did you find... appreciate the feedback?

Last edited:
1.16" is 0.070" further out than he is stating.
If you know that with your gun that max charge doesn't cause pressure issues with your bullet at that length that's not an issue at all.
I won't publish how much silhouette I run in my 9mm "hotter" loads but I carefully worked up to those levels.
Ive always used primer condition (flattening) as a danger zone and rarely get anywhere near this - HS-6 with 124 gr. Jacketed bullets describes 6.8 gr as max and with 121 Berry's and 6.6 gr. appears nominal and 1.085 - 1.095 " COAL does not create a compressed load with this bullet at 6.6 gr.

I asked a question about this bullet- MIDWAY Berry's 121 gr. HPHB being odd at sticking out beyond the hood at 1.125 " COAL then incrementally shortening until the reload was equal to (<) a factory round at a COAL measured from a zeroed caliper at 1.085 - 1.095 " COAL... and I'm called a troll?

FYI the length of this bullets protruding from the case indicates the 6.6 gr. HS-6 is not a compressed load... and the projectile is not touching the rifling - where am I going wrong?

If there is something I'm not taking into account please... I humbly ask for what it is I'm seeing or not seeing... is it ogive or then what?

I began loading this 121 Berry's hphb bullet at 1.125 " and the plunk test had the case-base sticking out beyond the chamber hood... then worked my way down on seating depth until the clearance was just below the hood... is this not a reasoned approach?
I prefer to stop when the plunk and spin, but yours works too

Ive always used primer condition (flattening) as a danger zone and rarely get anywhere near this - HS-6 with 124 gr. Jacketed bullets describes 6.8 gr as max and with 121 Berry's and 6.6 gr. appears nominal and 1.085 - 1.095 " COAL does not create a compressed load with this bullet at 6.6 gr.

I asked a question about this bullet- MIDWAY Berry's 121 gr. HPHB being odd at sticking out beyond the hood at 1.125 " COAL then incrementally shortening until the reload was equal to (<) a factory round at a COAL measured from a zeroed caliper at 1.085 - 1.095 " COAL... and I'm called a troll?

FYI the length of this bullets protruding from the case indicates the 6.6 gr. HS-6 is not a compressed load... and the projectile is not touching the rifling - where am I going wrong?

If there is something I'm not taking into account please... I humbly ask for what it is I'm seeing or not seeing... is it ogive or then what?

You can run an ass ton of HS6 and not get primer issues.

Do other bullet profiles load to reasonable lengths? Or does your barrel have a short leade?

The berry does have a short OAL compared to FMJ, so that could be the difference. But I would start at a lower powder charge and work up.

Be advised there are a ton of bullets for 9mm. Weight is not the only factor. Pay attention to the ogive. I had some 125’s that would not chamber in some guns with a tight chamber but we’re ok in others. All at the recommend OAL.
Do they sell Comparators for handgun?

I think what some are saying is being a compressed load is not the issue. Any time you shorten oal to make a projo "fit" your gun you should reduce the charge of powder and work your way up beause you are creating less space in the case (compressed or not) and this can create a higher pressure situation.. Some seem to think at 6.6 your at the high end of the charge for that powder and you just kept pushing the projo in further to make it fit without reducing the charge.

I prefer to stop when the plunk and spin, but yours works too

You can run an ass ton of HS6 and not get primer issues.

Do other bullet profiles load to reasonable lengths? Or does your barrel have a short leade?

The berry does have a short OAL compared to FMJ, so that could be the difference. But I would start at a lower powder charge and work up.
This. He should not be stuffing the projo further and further into the case to make it "fit" and not reducing the charge. He seems to have this fixation on "compressed loads" being the only concern.....and not realizing that reducing the case space (compressed or not) can cause pressure issues.

The 6.6 gr. Of HS-6 is not a compressed load for this projectile or any standard 121 - 125 gr. bullet - might be for a Barnes - I started at 1.125 " and found the plunk test sticking out far in excess of a factory cartridge and shortened the depth to match factory minus a few thousandth.

For sure - compressed loads are never going into my guns - I've been loading for 50 years and while I don't know everything I've never kaboomed anything - flattened a few primers with some Elmer Keith loads which were scratched from my Favorites.
I'm not saying it is compressed or even close to it.
The issue is that COAL is only a proxy for effective case volume.
For a shorter bullet with the same weight a shorter COAL would be used to maintain the same seating depth resulting in the same effective case volume.

Why does effective case volume matter?
Because powder burn rate is extremely effected by pressure (higher pressure = faster burn). This positive feedback is mitigated by bullet travel but if there isn't enough room in the case to limit pressure rise before the bullet inertia can be overcome then pressure can spike all the way to a kaboom.

If I was rude earlier, sorry but your response sounded like you were only looking for someone to confirm your loading and not for negative responses saying it didn't seem safe.

Back
Top Bottom