• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm Available at Mass Firearms School

CWulf

NES Member
Sorry if this is a dupe or misplaced but I got an email from MFS. They got a big shipment of Aguila brand 9mm (50 round box, FMJ). They are pricing it at $18.40 with no box limit. A bit more than I will pay right now but if you need it they have it.

It is decent ammo. $18.40 is a sh**ty price for it though. FS is pulling the same crap, $19 per box.

It should be down near $13 per box, just retailers screwing people as per usual.

It is decent ammo. $18.40 is a sh**ty price for it though. FS is pulling the same crap, $19 per box.

It should be down near $13 per box, just retailers screwing people as per usual.

Price is not what we like to see...

For whatever it is worth this ammo is marked up the same as the $12.99 Federal we get in (not percentage but the same actual dollar markup).

Here is the email we sent out:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=85qy6igab&v=001DcfdIOMFLbkV7n7Zwuas94i5ZYaJVbhx_lOsjVa345K2G5HFSyuJQ9Xr0m3H8i7pxikJ1GIRfzr9fM3CG79dfONEr77ewATSZPfKtRGQXwaGSfrthuSy-wdU4ePsrNhv

It is leaving the shelves pretty quick. All 150k rounds should be gone in a few days.

Last edited:

Is it though? Or is it the retailer getting it for a higher wholesale cost and needing to unload it at a higher rate to make up for transportation costs and keeping the lights on?

Is it though? Or is it the retailer getting it for a higher wholesale cost and needing to unload it at a higher rate to make up for transportation costs and keeping the lights on?

It's a new market. I remember back in the Day fuel was 79 cents a gallon......... some people have the mind set that the price of ammo should never go up... The price it was 10 years ago is what it should be now... I wish fuel was still 79 cents..[crying]

It's a new market. I remember back in the Day fuel was 79 cents a gallon......... some people have the mind set that the price of ammo should never go up... The price it was 10 years ago is what it should be now... I wish fuel was still 79 cents..[crying]

You can still find quality 9mm for around $13 per 50.

Manufacturers (not necessarily stores) are going to be milking this "shortage" for as long as they can.

Last edited:

Unfortunately true so +1.
My local dealer is selling Aguilla bricks of .22 for $58.00 .He is paying $ 48.00 a brick wholesale. That's 17.25 % gross margin, but he has to deduct the freight cost from the 17.25 % . As you pointed out, tough to keep the lights on this way.

Last edited:
You can still find quality 9mm for around $13 per 50.

Manufacturers (not necessarily stores) are going to be milking this "shortage" for as long as they can.

You sound certain that It's not the wholesalers doing the milking. It's my understanding that some wholesalers can no longer buy from Smith and Wesson because they had been gouging on Smith and Wesson pricing. Of course this is unsubstantiated information, but it did come from a gun shop employee. It was also said to me by the same gun shop employee that one of the aforementioned wholesalers has just raised " his cost " on a brick of ,22 ammunition to $48.00.

Last edited:
You sound certain that It's not the wholesalers doing the milking. It's my understanding that some wholesalers can no longer buy from Smith and Wesson because they had been gouging on Smith and Wesson pricing. Of course this is unsubstantiated information, but it did come from a gun shop employee.

Correct, I meant manufacturers/wholesalers. They're not just going to let go of the inflated prices after being accustomed to it for the last two or so years.

we bitch about not being able to find 9mm and then when it is available we bitch about the price.....can't win i guess....

if you think it's too expensive then don't buy it, simple as that. If your willing to look around and do some work then lower prices can be had.

I got that email too. I have shot that ammo and it was very good. I like it but I try to buy cheap target if I can. The price at MFS was like $18 which is pretty cheap for that stuff nowadays. Still I was in Kittery recently and they had tons of win white boxes. I picked up a few there.

The guy that owns the shop near me told me a month or so ago that his prices from the wholesaler have not gone up at all it is just harder to get.

The guy that owns the shop near me told me a month or so ago that his prices from the wholesaler have not gone up at all it is just harder to get.

Here is the way it works...

It is true there are a couple of distributors who have not raised their prices (that is why every now and a then we will have 9mm for $13 and change).

However, this is not the case with some distributers. This 9mm came to us priced about $5 more per box than we would have seen in the past.

We still have a long time to go before ammo supplies normalize (we just hope this is not the new normal).

Here is the way it works...

It is true there are a couple of distributors who have not raised their prices (that is why every now and a then we will have 9mm for $13 and change).

However, this is not the case with some distributers. This 9mm came to us priced about $5 more per box than we would have seen in the past.

We still have a long time to go before ammo supplies normalize (we just hope this is not the new normal).

MFS is right on this. The only way you're going to get it at great prices is if you back order it. I have about a Pallet of .22 on back order and I called only to find out it's going to be a solid Year before I see it. Are there some distributors that have it in stock? Yes. Are they priced high as hell? Yes. Some shops need to have ammo in stock and can't wait for back orders to be available.

MFS is right on this. The only way you're going to get it at great prices is if you back order it. I have about a Pallet of .22 on back order and I called only to find out it's going to be a solid Year before I see it. Are there some distributors that have it in stock? Yes. Are they priced high as hell? Yes. Some shops need to have ammo in stock and can't wait for back orders to be available.

Maybe for .22 but everything else seems to be readily available.

It's basic supply and demand at each level: it filters down from retail to wholesale. As long as people are too impatient, lazy, or stupid to find those sources with lower prices... The expensive ammo "flies" off the shelves, thus validating the wholesalers' increased prices.

It's a cycle that winds down the same way: as ammo stays on the shelf longer at higher prices, the wholesalers are forced to lower their prices in order to unload their supplies. The cycle is also affected by competing manufacturers entering the cycle, see Tula's BrassMaxx, and the other new products that have cropped up at Walmart and other retailers.

I'm trying not to lecture, but this is Econ 101 and caveat emptor. The more poor souls buy ammo at higher prices, the longer the prices will be high. Period, end of story.

The only way to get lower prices is to let it sit there on the shelf gathering dust. There are other options available.

Okay, now I'm lecturing: Sorry, I will step off the self-inflated soap box now.

Can't fault MFS for selling it at the price they need to pay their cost + overhead + markup. They are not a non-profit business and they do have some good prices on ammo occasionally. Don't like the price don't buy it..simple.

Last edited:
OK, but you first ;)

I'm walking by high prices and leaving them on the shevles. If you need 50 rds to hit the range well you have no choice.

I'm looking at it like this. I feel theres 3 types of ammo buyers right now
1. Ammo hoarders replenishing there stockpiles from last yrs mess.
2. Ass hats buying it (.22) to resell for profit and capitalising on the situation
3. People needing that box to hit the range.

Look at hardware supplies. demand went through the roof last year, supplies appeared to catch up and now look at the over saturation and daily sales like PSA has. I'm only assuming daily sales on just about everything like lowers and rifles at rock bottom prices means. Way too much inventory and sales are down.

I'm hoping this happens with ammo.
If Asshats stop buying it for resale at profit. Everyone goes back to normal and suppliers catch up and then some. When the pallets of backodered ammo is fullfilled is sitting on store floors prices will drop to clear inventory. But it starts with us

Stop buying it at high prices or limit how much you need to buy at those prices.
Dont buy from asshats

I also believe that we in our firearms community spread fear amongst ourselves way too much, it snowballs and drive these frenzies. WAY TOO MUCH. And it just ends up costing us all in the end.

Just my 2 cents

I'm walking by high prices and leaving them on the shevles. If you need 50 rds to hit the range well you have no choice.

I'm looking at it like this. I feel theres 3 types of ammo buyers right now
1. Ammo hoarders replenishing there stockpiles from last yrs mess.
2. Ass hats buying it (.22) to resell for profit and capitalising on the situation
3. People needing that box to hit the range.

Look at hardware supplies. demand went through the roof last year, supplies appeared to catch up and now look at the over saturation and daily sales like PSA has. I'm only assuming daily sales on just about everything like lowers and rifles at rock bottom prices means. Way too much inventory and sales are down.

I'm hoping this happens with ammo.
If Asshats stop buying it for resale at profit. Everyone goes back to normal and suppliers catch up and then some. When the pallets of backodered ammo is fullfilled is sitting on store floors prices will drop to clear inventory. But it starts with us

Stop buying it at high prices or limit how much you need to buy at those prices.
Dont buy from asshats

I also believe that we in our firearms community spread fear amongst ourselves way too much, it snowballs and drive these frenzies. WAY TOO MUCH. And it just ends up costing us all in the end.

Just my 2 cents

+1

Stop being an asshat or dipshidiot.

It's basic supply and demand at each level: it filters down from retail to wholesale. As long as people are too impatient, lazy, or stupid to find those sources with lower prices... The expensive ammo "flies" off the shelves, thus validating the wholesalers' increased prices.

It's a cycle that winds down the same way: as ammo stays on the shelf longer at higher prices, the wholesalers are forced to lower their prices in order to unload their supplies. The cycle is also affected by competing manufacturers entering the cycle, see Tula's BrassMaxx, and the other new products that have cropped up at Walmart and other retailers.

I'm trying not to lecture, but this is Econ 101 and caveat emptor. The more poor souls buy ammo at higher prices, the longer the prices will be high. Period, end of story.

The only way to get lower prices is to let it sit there on the shelf gathering dust. There are other options available.

Okay, now I'm lecturing: Sorry, I will step off the self-inflated soap box now.

I pay $14-15 per box of 9mm 50 rounds, generally 3-500 rounds at a time.

This. Just picked up some $14 50-rd boxes of Tula BrassMaxx at Wally's today. A little bit more expensive than the 100rd Winchester white boxes though.

This. Just picked up some $14 50-rd boxes of Tula BrassMaxx at Wally's today. A little bit more expensive than the 100rd Winchester white boxes though.

Add in a wife with her LTC and you are good to go for 300 rounds a stop, enough said.

Back
Top Bottom