• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm AR

Thinking about piecing together a 9mm AR. Anyone know a good place to obtain parts for this. And anyone have any experience with them? Talk me out of this. I'll be sleeping in the street.

Rock River is one place you can get an AWB-compliant upper (or complete rifle) in 9mm. I've had an upper on order with them for a while (since June of last year). For mags you can get pre-ban Uzi mags and add a notch for the mag release. And yes, it'll get spendy. I still don't have an ETA on my upper.

Why would you want a 9mm AR? You'd get the size and weight of a .223 caliber rifle and a much less powerful round. Cheap 9mm and cheap .223 cost about the same, so no savings on ammo. Recoil is not an issue for .223, and a 9mm blowback gun probably kicks harder than a DI .223. I can think of a free state application-9mm SBR with a can loaded with subsonic rounds would make an awesome home defense gun (.45 would be even better), but the OP lives in MA. I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious.

Why would you want a 9mm AR? You'd get the size and weight of a .223 caliber rifle and a much less powerful round. Cheap 9mm and cheap .223 cost about the same, so no savings on ammo. Recoil is not an issue for .223, and a 9mm blowback gun probably kicks harder than a DI .223. I can think of a free state application-9mm SBR with a can loaded with subsonic rounds would make an awesome home defense gun (.45 would be even better), but the OP lives in MA. I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious.

Shoot it at a pistol caliber only range

-------------
Excuse the brevity, I'm mobile.

Shoot it at a pistol caliber only range

-------------

I bought a Colt 9mm AR years ago and I pretty much use it for that purpose, something to shoot inside in the winter besides a pistol. Its actually a really fun gun to shoot, I'm not sure why somebody wouldn't own one. There are lots of complete guns and uppers on gun broker if you want to shortcut the build. I see the fun of putting a can on the gun but unfortunately the two places I own (MA and VT) have restrictions on cans.

A 9mm carbine would be pretty awesome at a Steel Challenge match, but then again so wouldn't a .22 upper.

Now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if they let you shoot subsonic 300blk at SC matches and at indoor ranges, it's basically a skinny long 45 ACP.

Last edited:
Now I get it-indoor ranges that allow only pistol calibers. I never really thought of that, where I shoot rifles are for outdoor only regardless of the caliber, only .22 rifles are allowed inside.

Like pdm said Rock River seems to be a good place to look for parts. Do you need to build it or would you buy a factory rifle? The reason I ask is that there is a lot of feedback regarding pieced together 9mm AR's as being a bit finicky. For the time and cost involved building, you might be better off just buying a factory assembled rifle. I can certainly understand wanting to pick up the parts to build it yourself though.

It's been stated something to shoot indoors. And well I just want another gun. Lol

This is also an excellent reason. I live in Hopkinton and I'm a HSA member, if you ever want to shoot the 9mm Colt let me know. I will have the Tavor 9mm soon as well if you would consider that an option.

If you build just an upper for your standards milspec lower, seems you need to deal with a mag adapter, BCG, hammer. I have aftermarket triggers (Gissele and Timney) so this doesn't seem like an option.

This is also an excellent reason. I live in Hopkinton and I'm a HSA member, if you ever want to shoot the 9mm Colt let me know. I will have the Tavor 9mm soon as well if you would consider that an option.
Rotary and I are members of HSA too. I'm sure he'll hit you up! Hope to see you around the range sometime.

I fired the Colt 9mm once and swore I'd own one someday. That's an awesome rifle. I don't own it yet though.

Thinking about piecing together a 9mm AR. Anyone know a good place to obtain parts for this. And anyone have any experience with them? Talk me out of this. I'll be sleeping in the street.
Model-1 Sales also does them. I ordered an upper in March last year and it was delivered in early December. I don't think they have any mag-well adapters and unless you get lucky at a gun show you may not find one. I have a pre-ban colt 9mm carbine I've thought about selling, but probably more than you want to spend.

Like pdm said Rock River seems to be a good place to look for parts. Do you need to build it or would you buy a factory rifle? The reason I ask is that there is a lot of feedback regarding pieced together 9mm AR's as being a bit finicky. For the time and cost involved building, you might be better off just buying a factory assembled rifle. I can certainly understand wanting to pick up the parts to build it yourself though.
My 9mm commando setup for my '16 is all parts and runs pretty clean. I put it together specifically to be able to shoot it indoors where F/A are allowed. There are really only three points for failure: Headspace, magwell adapter misalignment, crappy mags. Get a bag adapter and not much you can do but get another one and they are ass-expensive now.

So if I get a 9mm upper and magazine adapter, I can drop it onto an existing SBR lower, assuming I build the lower with an appropriate hammer?

Colt does not offer a factory SBR 9mm AR-15. Only 16 inch brl and 2 SMG's. If Colt offfered a Semi Auto - SBR? Would it sell?
SIG has a couple in their [thread=233791]new product lines[/thread], should be interesting to see how they sell.

So if I get a 9mm upper and magazine adapter, I can drop it onto an existing SBR lower, assuming I build the lower with an appropriate hammer?

SIG has a couple in their [thread=233791]new product lines[/thread], should be interesting to see how they sell.

You can also get a 9mm BCG that will work with a standard 5.56 hammer.

People always seem to bash Olympic Arms, but I've had my ar for quite some time and never had a problem. They have a line of pistol caliber ar's. Check them out.

i had one fed by sten mags. i even dropped in a hahn block to feed unmodified sten mags. rifle itself was pretty solid and accurate, but god damn... sten mags were an endless source of problems.

Now I get it-indoor ranges that allow only pistol calibers. I never really thought of that, where I shoot rifles are for outdoor only regardless of the caliber, only .22 rifles are allowed inside.

I'm willing to put money down that you can shoot an AR chambered in 9mm at Braintree, indoors. Not just 22lr

-------------

Back
Top Bottom