9mm AR

I've seen a couple of blurbs about a 9mm AR, I've searched and don't really find much.

AM I chasing a unicorn or is there something out there as such?

Nope don't exist. [smile]

67c49309.jpg

Colt-9mmAR15-Ad_zps81164aca.jpg

Hmmm, I think I have some parts searching to do tomorrow :)

A Colt 6450 is ~1200.
"Building" a 9mm AR is almost the same price.

Save the extra money and get the Colt. It comes with features that no one else offers or only offer at a large premium.

Also, many many people get frustrated with their pieced together 9mm guns. The Colt will function 100% out of the box.

Thanks. I will absolutely consider buying the Colt, one of my AR's is a Colt, nice hardware

A Colt 6450 is ~1200.
"Building" a 9mm AR is almost the same price.

Save the extra money and get the Colt. It comes with features that no one else offers or only offer at a large premium.

Also, many many people get frustrated with their pieced together 9mm guns. The Colt will function 100% out of the box.

Lone Wolf (LWD) makes the G9, which is a Glock magazine fed AR. I think they run about $1000 for the complete setup.

There are also magwell conversions that let you use the Colt 9mm magazines in your standard AR15 lower. You need a 9mm upper and you are good to go. I see that as a great option if you already have a lower SBRed, no additional stamp needed.

Last edited:
DDLES makes lowers that use either Glock or Colt pattern(and converted UZI) mags. Makes for a very fun range toy:

IMG_20130607_200602_870_zpsae30cc7b.jpg

Man those squid grips are ugly. [laugh]

Made this 9mm sucker with John at Remsport. All decked out with YHM QDS sites/quad rails and it ended up a bit north of 1300, but love all the YHM extras:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370653604.169669.jpg

Only drawback of Colts are the factory mags. They function great (when rifle is relatively clean and lubed) but are pricey and spew rounds out like a college freshman after their first drinking party if you drop them. Great fun though, spring recoil and surgical precision. Buddy of mine has an Oly Arms 9 mm upper and swears by it.

If you piece together on your own, get the VM hytech mag well adapter. It allows you to use unmodified uzi mags

Last edited:
I had a 9mm upper for my M16 and it was extremely accurate and much quieter than the .223. My kid stole it and built a 9mm AR. If you decide to build it and you put it on an AR lower, you'll probably need a 9mm hammer. The M16 uses the same hammer for both calibers. I have the VM mag well adapter and I like it because you don't have to open the rifle to install it but it has it's own mag release and if you hit the AR mag release by mistake, you dump everything. My son likes the adapter that goes in from the top of the lower because you can't accidently dump it out.

if you hit the AR mag release by mistake, you dump everything. My son likes the adapter that goes in from the top of the lower because you can't accidently dump it out.

i'm looking to build a 9mm and was planning to get around that by using a bullet button on the AR magwell.....
there may be a flood of them coming on the market since a few states just outlawed 'em :)

i'm looking to build a 9mm and was planning to get around that by using a bullet button on the AR magwell.....
there may be a flood of them coming on the market since a few states just outlawed 'em :)

Holy crap you actually found a reasonable use for a Bullet Button!

Where did you get them done?

I've got a pile of pre-ban German 32rds for a future build that I got on the cheap. The $10 (per mag) I see most places charge for the mod feels a bit like robbery.

The mill in my shop.. IF you have a bunch of the find a local machinist and he will do them in bulk cheaper after the set up you can do them fast. I got the jig I made somewhere out there.

Back
Top Bottom