• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm AR build - need help!

OK, with the group buy in place, I plan on building mine into a dedicated 9mm AR. From my google-fu and reading up on AR15.com, I understand that I need to do/ buy the following to build this:

1) 9mm hammer
2) 9mm buffer (and spacer if I use a A2 stock)
3) complete 9mm barreled upper (will have to basterdize by making this post ban version, i.e. no bayo lug, flash supp.... [sad])
4) 9mm mag block
5) modified uzi mags since I cant buy new promags mags

Is there anything else I need to consider?
Is there a particular brand I should avoid or look for?
Does any dealer stock these parts or kits in Mass?
Any brands that I should not mix and match with?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Mods: Feel free to move this if this would be more appropriate elsewhere on the forum.

I'm thinking a standard M4 style build (AWB legal) but I'm actually thinking about a 6.8 SPC or at least two uppers, one in 5.56 and one in 6.8. Is the bolt for the 6.8 different? Guessing yes.

I'm thinking a standard M4 style build (AWB legal) but I'm actually thinking about a 6.8 SPC or at least two uppers, one in 5.56 and one in 6.8. Is the bolt for the 6.8 different? Guessing yes.

+1

I've been thinking 6.8 for one and 5.56 for the other but I haven't even started reading up on 6.8. Check out www.m4carbine.net There is more info over there than you can shake a stick at without all the mindless banter over on ar15.com

OK, with the group buy in place, I plan on building mine into a dedicated 9mm AR. From my google-fu and reading up on AR15.com, I understand that I need to do/ buy the following to build this:

1) 9mm hammer
2) 9mm buffer (and spacer if I use a A2 stock)
3) complete 9mm barreled upper (will have to basterdize by making this post ban version, i.e. no bayo lug, flash supp.... [sad])
4) 9mm mag block
5) modified uzi mags since I cant buy new promags mags

Is there anything else I need to consider?
Is there a particular brand I should avoid or look for?
Does any dealer stock these parts or kits in Mass?
Any brands that I should not mix and match with?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Mods: Feel free to move this if this would be more appropriate elsewhere on the forum.

I'm thinking this: VM Hytech mag block (sold thru Brownells and others) allows you to use STANDARD Uzi mags, and requires no modifications to the mag well.

John, thanks for the info. Couple of follow up questions:

1) Is it possbile to mix different uppers with different company mag blocks? For example, RRA upper with a VM or Hahn block? Or do I have to stick with the RRA block?

2) Do all blocks require modified Uzi mags or are there some that will accept unmodified mags?

3) with a dedicated 9mm lower, do these accept propritary mags or will they accept Uzi mags (modified or unmodified)? I'd consider a dedicated 9mm RRA lower but since I'm in mass I dont want to be limited to 10 rd mags since preban uzi mags are so abundant.

Thanks in advance. I'm sure alot of people here will find these answers extremely helpful in their builds.

2) Do all blocks require modified Uzi mags or are there some that will accept unmodified mags?

From my research, only the VM block uses un-modified Uzi mags (please correct me if I am wrong)

From other peoples posts, most are not happy with modified Uzi mags, because they become problematic if you want to use them in an Uzi after they have been modified.

I am leaning towards the VM block, in part because I also own an Uzi and the common mag would be a nice thing.

One common complaint about the VM block is that if you mistakenly hit the mag release on your lower, you will drop it out. (there are however ways of preventing that also)

Last edited:
Some suggestions based on past experience.
I personally do not like to build a gun that doesn’t have the correct caliber on the receiver. I other words a lower that list 5.56 with a 9mm upper or other caliber upper.
Consider a dedicated lower marked 9mm. although this is not a must ...

Or just buy an engraver and turn that 5.56 into a 5.56/9mm . (-:

...One more thing I should mention pistol caliber ARs are much less reliable then rifle caliber guns. This is just a fact of life. This is the one reason no LE agency still uses them, for pistol caliber most have switch to H&K.

Or Ruger. Or, ...

Yep, the fear of Olyarms stops me from getting one of their pistol uppers. They have, as one of the choices, a 10mm upper and I would have loved to play with that to see what it felt like. I don't feel like playing with a Bobcat or Spezial Wipon's version of an MP5 in 10mm.

Joe R.

Back
Top Bottom