• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm 1911?

Any opinions on 1911's chambered for 9mm? Recommendation/avoids?

I like the feel for the 1911 but thinking of saving some $$$ shooting 9's

Lots of guys like the new S+W Pro series 9mm 1911.

Not a cheap gun but they seem to be well built.

-Mike

I love my S&W 1911PD that I recently picked up. The only problem is finding ammo for it. I'm going to be picking up a Kimber 22lr conversion kit soon so I can practice more and for less $.

Get a 1911 in .45. Besides, once you get one 1911, you will soon have more than one. I swear there is BRD (Black Rifle Disease) for 1911's, I already want another!!!

Lots of guys like the new S+W Pro series 9mm 1911.

Not a cheap gun but they seem to be well built.

-Mike

Don't want to be negative, but have had on order since July a Sig X-6, in .45 ACP. My X-5 (9mm) is flawless, it is only my older eyes, age and diminished response time that results in losses (plates). Definitely not the piece. Looking forward to the X-6....to compete, have fun, and keep basic skills in shape.

Its for sure I don't want to degrade the 1911 design, but have found the Sig to be better. Have used customized/accurized 1911's since the 60's, and for me, the Sig (match grade) beats them. Not even match grade....have a Sig P220 Equinox (.45 ACP) with strobe/laser that my wife bought for me for Christmas. Iron sights....dead on. Strobe/laser unit....needed mucho firing....directions were "opposite" of reality. When done, the laser was dead on. Side benefit....no hangups, no FTE, no stovepipes.

No, I have no relationship with Sig....other than a customer....and have not even expressed my pleasure with them. Simply me, doing my thing. 9 mm and .45 shooters may want to check out alternatives. [grin]

Don't want to be negative, but have had on order since July a Sig X-6, in .45 ACP. My X-5 (9mm) is flawless, it is only my older eyes, age and diminished response time that results in losses (plates). Definitely not the piece. Looking forward to the X-6....to compete, have fun, and keep basic skills in shape.

Its for sure I don't want to degrade the 1911 design, but have found the Sig to be better. Have used customized/accurized 1911's since the 60's, and for me, the Sig (match grade) beats them. Not even match grade....have a Sig P220 Equinox (.45 ACP) with strobe/laser that my wife bought for me for Christmas. Iron sights....dead on. Strobe/laser unit....needed mucho firing....directions were "opposite" of reality. When done, the laser was dead on. Side benefit....no hangups, no FTE, no stovepipes.

No, I have no relationship with Sig....other than a customer....and have not even expressed my pleasure with them. Simply me, doing my thing. 9 mm and .45 shooters may want to check out alternatives. [grin]

The main problem is the price point. I own an X5 too... (which refuses to reliably eat anything with a winchester case, but that's another saga I may get into later..... )

You can get an SW 9mm Pro 1911 for under $1200. The X5 Competition is like $1400+ now, which is a considerable difference, and the only real advantage it has is capacity. (In most of the pin plate matches around here, you're limited to 10 anyways, so doesn't make much difference there.)

I like my Sig but if I had to do it all over again I'd be giving the S+W serious consideration. (I still might anyways, just because I was impressed with the design). It's not your typical crappy 9mm 1911.

-Mike

The main problem is the price point. I own an X5 too... (which refuses to reliably eat anything with a winchester case, but that's another saga I may get into later..... )

You can get an SW 9mm Pro 1911 for under $1200. The X5 Competition is like $1400+ now, which is a considerable difference, and the only real advantage it has is capacity. (In most of the pin plate matches around here, you're limited to 10 anyways, so doesn't make much difference there.)

I like my Sig but if I had to do it all over again I'd be giving the S+W serious consideration. (I still might anyways, just because I was impressed with the design). It's not your typical crappy 9mm 1911.

-Mike

I'm very surprised to hear you say this. My X-5 has functioned flawlessly with 115 gr, 124 gr. and 147 gr. Hell, even took a 30-rd. mag from my "Blackwater" and put it into the X-5 for chucks. Not a single "hiccup"...neither the piece nor the mag. Accuracy is dead on. Any deviation is strictly me, the shooter....and we all know how that goes. [grin]

Have had on order since July, an X-6 in .45 ACP....special order....from Germany only. Would not have spent the bucks...and the wait....unless I was absolutely convinced it was worth it. Subjective? Yes.

Have a Kimber Grand Raptor II. Yes, I love it...despite the hangups, and mag problems. Would I bet my life on it? No way. If push comes to shove, am going with the Sig. Of course, me only. As much as I like the Raptor, would take the Sig "Blackwater" or X-5 hands down in terms of reliability and function...round after round. I would expect the X-6 in ACP to be the same. If not, you bet I will let you know.[wink]

I was thinking / looking around for a 9mm 1911 as well (also trying to take advatage of the cheaper ammo). Other than the S&W 1911 Pro...anything else MA compliant?

I was even looking at having Remsport build one for me.

I was thinking / looking around for a 9mm 1911 as well (also trying to take advatage of the cheaper ammo). Other than the S&W 1911 Pro...anything else MA compliant?

I was even looking at having Remsport build one for me.

Out of curiousity, why does it have to be a 1911 config?

I do have other 9mm firearms. I just decided I liked the 1911 classic slim design and operation. Recoil in the 9mm config would be less I'm guessing as well.

Ideally the 38 super would be nice...but when was the last time you saw a box of 38 Super ammo sitting on the shelf?

Out of curiousity, why does it have to be a 1911 config?

I do have other 9mm firearms. I just decided I liked the 1911 classic slim design and operation. Recoil in the 9mm config would be less I'm guessing as well.

Ideally the 38 super would be nice...but when was the last time you saw a box of 38 Super ammo sitting on the shelf?

Grin, can't address that....never looked for 38 Super. A few years ago, when I saw what China was doing with scrap metal, got my gut feeling going. Looked for all the sales I could find in 9MM and ACP and bought what I could afford. Told a few friends what I was doing. No biggie....just info. These same few people now tell me they kick their asses for not listening, because they want ammo and can't get it. Can't address that one.

Getting back to 1911.....have used them since the 60's....both "out of the box" and highly accurized at a big buck cost. Am becoming a Sig convert....not standard, but the X models. Have a couple in both 9MM and ACP that have been 100% reliable (non match)....even with a 32-rd. mag!

The 45 (Equinox) has been fired with multiple brands, some lead, most jacketed....configs including WC, SWC, and FMJ. Never a hitch, never a hiccup. All mags are original Sig (made in Italy). Never a problem....ever.

Over the years I cannot say the same for the different 1911's I have had. Mag problems, FTF probs., ammo probs., etc. etc. Just telling it like it is with no bull. In terms of "match grade", at this point in time, will go with Sig, and let others debate the pro's/con's. All I know is that I'm a Happy Camper.

but when was the last time you saw a box of 38 Super ammo sitting on the shelf?

Actually I found some at Carr's about two weeks ago...of course it had been sitting there a few years [laugh]

My Colt 38 super is a sweet shooting pistol, but I had to look long and hard for it and it cost me. You can get a Para in 38 super..I had one and didn't care for it, too many issues with FTFs and FTEs.

I would go with a custom one built by Remsport. You can get any sights you want on it and the trigger set for any weight you want.

John at Remsport is great to work with..

Go with the Smith....you won't be disappointed.[wink]

1911-pro.jpg

Back
Top Bottom