• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm 1911

Currently have the Ruger SR1911 in 45acp

And kinda meh on it, want to switch to a 9mm. Just for the ease of not having to stock another caliber.

Want to keep it under 800$

I bought a stainless Springfield Range Officer in 9mm for about that price, maybe a little more. Excellent gun and all, very accurate, but a 9mm 1911 just didn’t do it for me. I ended up selling it off in order to get a 1911 in 45ACP

IMHO Nothing puts a hole in a bad guy quite as well as a .45. ( let's stay with handguns)

Edit* I own a Colt Combat Commander in 9MM Lot of fun to shoot but not as accurate as the 5" .45 model . All 70 series bought new in the late 70's early 80's.

Last edited:
Any opinions on the colt competitions ?

Are we over SA pulling that BS with pushing anti gun legislation a while back ?

Under 800$ ? Only seen’em for like 900~ roughly
Not sure where you live but Steve at Northeast Arms in Peabody (@sschevy) can get you a SA RO 9mm for probably ~$800 out the door (maybe less but you'd have to call). You can buy guns from his online store and ship to his shop for free and no transfer fee.
Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer PI9129L | NORTHEAST ARMS LLC

He also sells Colt 1911's but I seem to remember those costing more than a SA RO?...

Or you can go to Four Seasons and be herded around like cattle, and take a number and wait an hour to be helped. But I digress....

Any opinions on the colt competitions ?

Are we over SA pulling that BS with pushing anti gun legislation a while back ?

I have a Competition Stainless, though in .45ACP, but love the gun. Very firm grip, good trigger pull (not great, but not as light as I’d like), and of course, very accurate, at least for my skill level.

If you are unfortunate enough to be living in MA, technically only two models of 9mm 1911 are 'on the list', one Ruger and the Springfield.

But the Rock Island 9mm 1911 is pretty cheap, and not much different other 9mm 1911's

1911 9mm 5 9 Round Parkerized Armscor 16323

And my experience has been that many dealers don't care or notice if it's chambered 9mm or .45, its still 'on the list' being as its an Armscor Rock Island 1911A1.

If you are unfortunate enough to be living in MA, technically only two models of 9mm 1911 are 'on the list', one Ruger and the Springfield.

But the Rock Island 9mm 1911 is pretty cheap, and not much different other 9mm 1911's

And my experience has been that many dealers don't care or notice if it's chambered 9mm or .45, its still 'on the list' being as its an Armscor Rock Island 1911A1.

Yea saw these as well,

Everything I see online has people liking theirs.

I don't think so but you can check: State Compliance | Smith & Wesson

I have a S&W 1911 pro series which is a really well made model. Unfortunately, new, they are beyond your price range. If you look around, you may be able to find a pre-owned for about what you're willing to spend. There are a lot of features to them like an extended mag well, oversize extractor, a contoured slide for weight reduction, performance center parts, nice front strap stippling, undercut trigger guard, ambi-safety, hand polished feed ramps, precision crowned muzzle and so on. They come with Wilson mags which work fine and I also use Tripps in it as well. Here's a snap of it with a standard S&W 1911 in 45acp top left (along with a peanut at the bottom which you can ignor). This one has the adjustable sights so it's a bit more then the dovetail model. You should be able to see the differences I mentioned.

somesmiths_zps3be9d790-2.JPG

I also have a S&W Pro Series and like it very much. I got it used in a trade so the cost to me was lower than new. I also have a Para Ordnance P-18 that despite what some say about Para it's been a great pistol. Can't go wrong with either the Colt or Springfield though. I think you might regret later giving up on the .45 though. When funds allow both calibers would be good to have.

Another vote for the S&W Pro E-Series 1911 in 9mm. I've been using this for plate and pin competition as follow up shots are much quicker and the gun is super accurate. If you can find a used one they are typically within your price range or just a little above.

A lot of people like the S&W Pro Series 9mm 1911 but I had one with tons of tooling/machining marks on the underside of the slide and in the chamber area (S&W said it was within spec and would not replace the slide...). Trigger was good and it shot well. But I quickly sold it to get a DW PM9 for just an extra $100-$200 more than the S&W.

A lot of people like the S&W Pro Series 9mm 1911 but I had one with tons of tooling/machining marks on the underside of the slide and in the chamber area (S&W said it was within spec and would not replace the slide...). Trigger was good and it shot well. But I quickly sold it to get a DW PM9 for just an extra $100-$200 more than the S&W.
That's unfortunate. I have the 9 and a 45 from them that I've gotten used at a good price and they are great. I still think that if you are able to get them, the DW are the way to go for new for that price point (CZ as a parent company just does a great job all around though). I'd be pretty mad at paying 1,000$+ for a new handgun that has tooling and a general unfinished look to it.

I have a Rock Island in 9mm. It's got a great trigger, a truglow type front sight and never misses a beat. The finish isn't the greatest but it wasn't very expensive. I also have a couple of STIs in 9mm. If I were you I'd definitely look at that used STI Spartan. Out of the other brands mentioned I'd consider the Springfield if you can find one at your price point.

I'd pass on S&W even if it was within your budget. The 1911 Pro Series 9mm I bought 3+ years ago went back to them twice for the same problem. Out of the box, the pistol would experience multiple failures to extract in every magazine (I have 4 Wilsons, think it came with 2). After the second trip to S&W the pistol functioned better, but still not 100% and I was not sending it back again. I have yet to try other manufacturers magazines as I rarely take it to the range, I would get the Springfield if I had it to do over again. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom