• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9mm 1911 Ejection Issues. WWYD?

Wasn't sure if this was a topic for reloading or firearms.

I have a Springfield 1911 9mm, I got it years ago used and haven't shot it since I got it. I remember when I originally shot it, that it was a nice shooter and I enjoyed it.
Took it out this week and made it 30 rounds before I had to stop.
It was ejecting them at 6 o'clock and hitting me square in the forehead everytime.
I was shooting plinking handloads, so 115 gr with 5.6 grains of Unique, which is the low end of the chart.

I'm assuming this is an ammo issue, because I cannot recall the ejection issue when I originally shot it.

I have plenty of room to go up on the powder, I guess my question would be, is ejecting rearward a sign of weak loads? I have never paid attention to ejection angles ever.

Extremely happy with the groups from the shots, just want to spend more time focusing on next shot placement and not having brass at the face. 20210501_214013.jpg
20210501_220108.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm. Never ran into that with my DW 9mm 1911. I had some FTE’s which was due to extractor tension being too loose. But this sounds like it could be an ejector issue?

I believe that this IS a spring problem or condition, but I forget the exact relationship. It may be that the spring is too heavy for a light load.

I seem to recall an analysis of ejection angles but cannot recall where.

Added:

I just found a referral to the Jerry Kuhnhausen manual for this.

well when you say WWYD......I'd sell it and buy a Glock lol

But I did steal this from someone on the 1911 forum

"brass kicking straight back into your forehead is a direct result of the gun ejecting the case too low. It has to to come straight back. Part of this is the Extractor, it needs to be tuned and checked to make sure it isn't Clocking(turning in the channel because of a loose Firing-pin Stop). Tuning it involves proper shaping of the hook and pad and proper tension.
The other part is the Ejector. In most cases, the higher the rim of the case hits the ejector the lower it will eject and conversely, the lower it hits the Ejector the higher it will eject. If it Ejects higher the case will go over your noggin, not into it.

here's a couple of helpful diagrams for you.

Ejectorf.jpg

This shows an Extended Ejector with different angle-cuts for different types of Ejection. you want to look at the green lines."

Wasn't sure if this was a topic for reloading or firearms.

I have a Springfield 1911 9mm, I got it years ago used and haven't shot it since I got it. I remember when I originally shot it, that it was a nice shooter and I enjoyed it.

Now you know why the seller was getting rid of it. [rofl]

75% of 9mm 1911s are dumpster fires by default. Find a 1911 plumber that isnt crap that lives near you and drop it off. Should be short money for a working/properly tuned gun.

Assuming this is a factory pistol and it hasn't been messed with, check the ejection port for brass marks. This could be an ammo or spring issue depending on how you look at it, or a pistol that someone messed with. Someone could have modified the ejector, springs, extractor, etc. before you got it.

I'd try and pick up a box of factory 9mm and also post some photos of the slide if you get a chance.

Change ammo first before ripping the gun apart.
100%.
I have a Ruger 1911 in 9mm, Commander sized, overall it's been trouble free. I would try some hotter ammo before spending any money on it. Unless you really want to spend some cash and send it to someone like Greg Derr to have the whole thing tuned up. (I don't know if he works on 9mm's, just throwing a respected 1911 name out there).

Shoot some factory loads first before you go messing with it. If the factory loads hit you in the face, send it to SA for repair. I believe they have a lifetime guarantee.

I have 2 S&W 1911’s in 45 (1 commander, 1 officer) that ejected brass squarely into my forehead & royally pissed me off. I sent both back to S&W and both came back problem free. In both cases the smith indicated it had to do with the extractor. Maybe you can send it to Springfield Armory for evaluation & service?

Back
Top Bottom