9mm 1911 chewing up brass...

bsaks

NES Life Member
NES Member
father in law just picked up a new to him 9mm 1911. Springfield range officer elite. Nice gun but noticed it would bend the brass 1 or 2 rounds every mag. this happened with both factory mags included. what say the NES brain trust...
20190626_123145.jpg

Reloads or factory ammo? Extractor tension might need some tweeking , possibly a lighter recoil spring.

When was the last time the gun was disassembled and thoroughly cleaned? Any approximation of round count? Are the mags original to the gun and/or genuine Springfields or aftermarkets?

Does the extractor move at all? Looks like its stuck. I guess your chamber could be rough and taking too much force to extract. If you take the barrel out and slide a live round in, does it fall out or does it take some force to get it out?

Are they ejecting cleanly?

'cuz that looks like they're getting smashed into the barrel with the slide.

not sure on round count but gun was field stripped and cleaned before shooting. looks like the original mags. feed fine. no failure to feed or extract. this only happened to like 1 or 2 rounds every other mag. rounds eject well and launch as expected out of the gun. chamber didn't look rough and rounds chambered OK, though I didn't try just sliding a loose round. this was all factory blazer brass.

Could it be the last rounds in the mag its happening to? Too heavy (I think) a spring could cause the round to get smashed between the feed lips of the mag and what, the breech face? Basically a timing issue. Pls don't get mad if I ask if the recoil spring isn't installed backwards? Maybe an aftermarket recoil spring would clear this up? I seem to remember reading something about wolf aluminum 5.56 doing this in overgassed AR15s. Can't find the thread now though.

I have the same pistol and none of my brass get mangled like that and I shoot both reloads and factory using factory,Tripp,Ruger,Wilson Metalform magazines.

father in law just picked up a new to him 9mm 1911. Springfield range officer elite. Nice gun but noticed it would bend the brass 1 or 2 rounds every mag. this happened with both factory mags included. what say the NES brain trust...
View attachment 290669
has to be getting pinched between slide on ejection.
time to match the dings up to area on the pistol.
then shoot it. Slowly check ing each shell and see if there is acpatern ? Last round , particular mag. i cant see mag feed lips causing this damage with out any feed issues. Plus i would think if the mag feed lips where messed up enough to cause damage you would feel something loading the mags.
If its a new gun send it and the bent brass back for inspection and repair.

has to be getting pinched between slide on ejection.
time to match the dings up to area on the pistol.
then shoot it. Slowly check ing each shell and see if there is acpatern ? Last round , particular mag. i cant see mag feed lips causing this damage with out any feed issues. Plus i would think if the mag feed lips where messed up enough to cause damage you would feel something loading the mags.
If its a new gun send it and the bent brass back for inspection and repair.

Not a new gun, bought it used. Will have to take it back out and see if there is a pattern. We only noticed it after a while because I saw one of the shell casings that landed near my feet. Otherwise no indication that anything was wrong. No issues loading mags, no feeding issues, not issues with extraction. It was odd, and so far seemingly happening at random for 1-2 rounds in both mags we were using. Not on the last round of the mag either. It was strange and something I had never seen before. Will test out again at an indoor range where we can more easily check the brass.

So this happens in both mags randomly each time - does that mean every time you load the mag? Or does it happen randomly, like the 2nd and 5th time you use that specific mag?

Maybe run some process of elimination checks? Fire with just one in the chamber, no mag (assuming no weird disconnect). Try to replicate the issue. If you can't, then possibly mag feed lip obstruction altering ejection path and/or mag spring/follower issue? If the issue persists even without a mag, then maybe extractor tension and/or recoil spring too strong screwing up timing? Not very scientific, but at least gives more of a 50/50 look at the issue.

Springfield has killer customer service if you call them up they’ll send a shipping tag and have it fixed in a jiffy.

I replaced the recoil spring with a 14 lb spring from Wolff when I had some fte. Bought the pistol used from a Nes member a couple of years ago.

Recoil spring too heavy or ejector out of tune, or both.

^this

from appearance of the brass I would guess the brass is impacting the slide on their way out the ejection port. are there brass marks on the slide? how do the brass eject in general? distance? consistency?

9mm 1911's do not require much in the way of recoil spring strength. the slide mass and hammer spring are both sufficient to slow down the slide. an overly heavy recoil spring may shorten cycling time too much to allow the brass to clear the port. however my guess here is that the ejector is source of problem.

Back
Top Bottom