9mm 124gn hollow point load data help?

Ok, so I'm very much a creature of habit... I stick with things I know and Im comfortable with.

So, when I walked down to the reloading bench last night and found that my final 1000 9mm bullets in inventory are 124gn hollow points and not round nose like I've reloaded 10's of thousands of I was a little annoyed.... I quickly called up my normal supplier for lot's more bullets bit they won't be here in time for this weekends HSC USPSA match.

My normal load is 124gn RN 4.1 titegroup 1.125 oal. I have thousands of these through my 1911 without a single issue

So I'm stuck and I don't have a lot of "testing" time.... any thoughts?

I used to use 124gr Montana Gold JHPs with 4.2 gr of Titegroup, OAL 1.12, and they ran well. YMMV, obviously.

Keep the same charge weight.

For the OAL, compare the bullet length of the HPs you'll be loading to the FMJs you've been using (pull one if you have to). If the HP is shorter, subtract the difference from your 1.125" OAL. If it's longer, add it. You basically want to put the base of the bullet at the same place in the case, duplicating the internal volume that you've been using.

Load one dummy round and check it in your chamber to make sure it doesn't jam into the lands.

What brand were you loading? I believe you are not too far from me and if you want I can loan you 1k of Rainier's 124 gr RN and you can replace them when yours come in if you want. (That is if you are loading plated)

Keep the same charge weight.

For the OAL, compare the bullet length of the HPs you'll be loading to the FMJs you've been using (pull one if you have to). If the HP is shorter, subtract the difference from your 1.125" OAL. If it's longer, add it. You basically want to put the base of the bullet at the same place in the case, duplicating the internal volume that you've been using.

Load one dummy round and check it in your chamber to make sure it doesn't jam into the lands.

+1
Also check them in your mags and cycle them through the gun, you want to make sure they don't hit too low on the feedramp and cycle smoothly

Rielly's Guns and Shooters Outpost both have Berry Bullets in Stock. Rielly's 124gn RN $93.45/1000, Shooters: about $91/1000

Malodave

Sorry for the slow response....

Thank you all for the advice and offers to help! I worked up a few hundred using EC's advice and I'll get them to the range sat morning to make sure everything functions fine

Thank you guys again for the help!

Back
Top Bottom