• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9g Inprint Biometric gun safe?

Has anyone had any experience with 9G Inprint Biometric gun safe?

The reviews at Amazon are stellar but few.

Barska is $100 cheaper and there are 183 reviews, but some of them, particularly this one don't give me warm fuzzy feeling about it.
9g Inprint makes you swipe the finger instead of putting it on the glass like Barska, thus making it difficult to retrieve the fingerprint, and the false rejection rate is said to be 1 out of 100,000 vs 1 out of 5,000 typical of competition (according to 9g's web site). It's also reportedly faster, under a second if powered by the AC power adapter. But why so few reviews? Just because it's a $100 more expensive?

I need a reliable quick fingerprint accessible gun safe. Yes, I read about Fort Knox's Simplex mechanism, and own a non-biometric GunVault myself.
But this one is for my wife's nightstand. We can't keep the code simple because there're very inquisitive kids around, and we can't make the code too complex because wife doesn't feel confident she'll be able to dial it correctly in the dead of the night in adrenaline rush (she can't always open my GunVault in the broad daylight for Christ sake).
So looks like a good reliable fingerprint-operated safe is her only option.

Has anyone used 9g or Barska or any other good fingerprint-operated gun compact gun safe?
I'd appreciate any and all opinions. Thanks!

I'm wary of these Biometric safes, I had a BioVault and the thing died on me a month after the warranty expired. Without back up key access it took some doing to get my guns out.

Inexpensive fingerprint readers simply aren't fast enough or reliable enough to be counted on in an emergency. Timber works with these sorts of things and if I recall correctly, he said that reliable, fast readers cost ~$1000 just for the reader.

Get something with a Simplex lock. They work reliably, even in the dark.

As for the inquisitive children, you'll have to deal with that via education and discipline. None of the small safes are terribly secure -- they are mostly for compliance with state laws.

There was a good video review of the Bio metric safes that was just posted the other day it is kind of long but it is worth the watch. It was amazing how quick they got into the small gun vault style boxes. I will try to find it.

edit: couldn't find the post but i found it on YouTube fast forward to about 7:30 oh btw NSFW due to language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIJFQO4DIxw

Last edited:
I don't know about Inprint but I have a Gunvault biometric. It wasn't cheap. I don't consider it reliable. The thing holds 50 different prints, so I stored mine in there 50 different times, varying swipe speed, angles, etc. That gave me about a 80-90% success rate for getting it open--nowhere near good enough for storing a self-defense weapon. I would not buy another one.

I bought a Barska biometric at Amazon. Very happy with it. It has never failed to open for me or my wife.

I'm going to take flack for this but....

Our Government doesn't play by the rules (see F&F). Why in the hell should you? They're running guns to Mexican drug dealers and laundering drug cash and you're worried about putting your gun in a bio metric safe? Come on, grow a pair. Put the damn thing on your night table and stop worrying about it.

If you have kids, different ball game. Put it under your pillow. Teach them "That is Daddy's".

I grew up in a home that had a shotgun leaned against the wall in the bedroom. It was my Dad's. I was forbidden to touch it and I didn't. Be a parent and lay down the rules.

Last edited:
You could easily make a biometric pistol safe / rifle locking system that was 100% reliable, and activated in under a second from sleep mode at minimal power consumption with existing technology, but the thing would cost a couple of grand retail.

Hmmm... Are components available for sale?
Maybe it'd cost $2k in retail, but should cost significantly less for in a DIY project.
Say, I buy a $100 gun box and replace its crappy lock with that veinal reader biometrics thing. Think it'll work?
Can you recommend a source/vendor/model?

I purchased the Barska this summer when the price dropped to $150, and like tictac, I've been very happy with it. I keep my home security hand gun locked and loaded along with a couple mags and feel very confident that my kids aren't going to get into it. It definitely isn't a "safe" by any stretch of the imagination... give me a sledgehammer and pry bar, and I could be in it in less than a minute, but that's not what it's for.

I purchased the Barska this summer when the price dropped to $150, and like tictac, I've been very happy with it. I keep my home security hand gun locked and loaded along with a couple mags and feel very confident that my kids aren't going to get into it. It definitely isn't a "safe" by any stretch of the imagination... give me a sledgehammer and pry bar, and I could be in it in less than a minute, but that's not what it's for.

Exactly. Mine is on a high shelf in my room's walk-in closet. I will also add that I lined the inside with that green felt adhesive thing they sell on craft stores and then bolted the box to the stud and shelf itself.

For the OP, regarding the claims that it is slow to open. From the moment you press the button to the moment you are opening the door, it takes less than 1.5 seconds.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom