1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Computer classes for the beginners?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Yelena, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Yelena

Yelena Member

My husband is looking for the computer classes for the beginners. What he needs to lern is basics of Micrsoft Office and Internet, as well as basics of the computers in general. He does not have experience with computers, but is determined to learn.
    Does anyone know about such classes offered for general public, not for college credits?

Thanks!

2. MACGYVR

MACGYVR Guest

Check your town's summer recreation program. Alot of towns have computer courses for adults for very little $$.

Also you can usually take the computer courses at a community college or state college as an audit and pay a reduced cost, but receive no college credit for it. Some schools also run certificate courses at night designed for people that just want to learn new skills.

3. meth0d

meth0d Member

How about a local high school or tech school that offers adult education classes?

1 person likes this.
  4. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

I am not trying to be a smart aleck but...

I have learned a lot just from watching the average Joe making a YouTube video on various subjects.

That would you husband an idea about what real classes would be like when he takes a class.

1 person likes this.
  5. Chrisg67

Chrisg67 Member

I took classes at a Clark University satellite school a couple years back (Now AIC) and it was very good, but quite expensive. but i took the whole sha-bang, from basic A+ to security+ and MSCE classes. if he were to take a class on A+, that would be a good start.

1 person likes this.
  6. kurtb

kurtb NES Member

I heard that John Sherer - AKA the video professor will send you your first lesson on DVD for free because he is sure that once you find out how much you like it - you will buy more from him..

But seriously, what Reptile said is a good place to start otherwise there are plenty of classes around that are cheap like MacGyver said..
    They also sell boatloads of books on every subject you could ever want to learn..

7. Another_David

Another_David NES Member

Location?

google "adult continuing education" with your town or nearby city. It is often held at libraries and high schools.

I see you're in RI but when a relative was unemployed a few years ago in Mass the State offered FREE computer classes and she said they were great. And I'm proud to say three months later she had a job again. Might have something similar in RI--even if he's not unemployed they're usually not so picky about applicants. very few people unemployed actually attend the classes [thinking]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  8. Keystone

Keystone NES Member

If you have kids/grandkids/nephews/nieces/whatever that you have a decent relationship with, they might be glad to help out. Offer them some food or cash.

Good luck!

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Moderator

RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
    look for the books 'Office for Dummies" and 'Internet for Dummies". Lots of good stuff in them.