96% not arrested

I do a lot of driving and listen to many podcasts. Was listening to AWR Hawkins, which I highly recommend even if it's preaching to the choir, http://www.podcastone.com/bullets-with-awr-hawkins If you don't know, Hawkins' is fairly pro2a, reports for Breitbart News (www.breitbart.com) and recently has some articles posted here.

He reported that more than 96 percent of gunmen involved in non-fatal shootings are never arrested in Boston. Then he reported that 85% of fatal shootings are never arrested either.

So, I'm thinking thats got to be some false news. NO!

His source is Boston Magazine, the article does give the 96% number but you're left doing math for the 85% (92 homicides, 14 arrests)
http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2017/02/12/boston-shootings/

The article ends on a sobering note: "However we got to this point, where 94 percent of shootings remain a mystery, it’s pretty evident to the community who’s in control of their streets: the shooters."

It's because most of this stuff is gangbanger stuff and nobody wants to get labeled as a rat. So unless a little kid gets caught in the crossfire or something, nobody will say crap about what they didn't see.

From an LE perspective it's also like chasing ghosts. Imagine you're a Boston cop. You get a shots fired call on some street corner or neighborhood. Even if you're 2 minutes away, you might show up to find some empty brass and maybe a couple witnesses that "heard gunfire, but didn't see anything" or "I saw one guy run this way and another one ran that way, but I can't really give a description" etc. Unless someone shows up in a hospital with extra holes in them, they don't have much to go
on. I'm also going to guess that outside of the big managed housing complexes, surveillance in the crappier parts of the city is pretty sparse in the city as well. (not that it really will help much.... )

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom