• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

92fs preban mags - question

Hello knowledgeable NES community - so I bought a couple of these Beretta 92 mags from a seller marketing them as Beretta pre-ban mags. Unbeknownst to me I thought they were going to be Beretta OEM pre-bans but it doesn't look so. They feel pretty high quality and I'm guessing should work fine. Does anyone recognize the company logo of the mag and can tell me a bit more about these? Thanks so much

IMG_20161122_162542.jpg

I've got some p99 pre-ban mags that look like they were made yesterday. If I hadn't bought them direct I'd be dubious. Whats the date stamp and patent numbers say?

I'd say no because it looks like the sides are milled in to limit the capacity. If I remember correctly beretta mags should be smooth the whole way up try loading it and get back to us

That logo looks very vaguely familiar but I'll be darned if I can remember why. It does not look like nay Beretta logo I recall seeing.

How many rounds does it hold? Does it have a date stamp?

I'd say no because it looks like the sides are milled in to limit the capacity. If I remember correctly beretta mags should be smooth the whole way up try loading it and get back to us

Are you referring to the oval dimple near the bottom? Prebans can have that too.

Beretta factory mags have the manufacturer's name and caliber on the side of the mag lengthwise.IIRC it's "P.Beretta 9 mm Made in Italy". I have 9 or 10 92 pre ban mags and have looked them over extensively and found no manufacturing date anywhere on them.

Last edited:
Beretta factory mags have the manufacturer's name and caliber on the side of the mag lengthwise.IIRC it's "P.Beretta 9 mm Made in Italy". I have 9 or 10 92 pre ban mags and have looked the over extensively and found no manufacturing date anywhere on them.

Same, I have not seen a date on any either. Wasn't there a huge thread on this and the conclusion was that you couldn't tell if they were made 30 years ago or yesterday?

Yes there was. I pulled a 92 mag out and on the side it says "PB 9 mm Para Made in the U.S.A." The OP's mags are for a 92fs but aren't factory.

I remember reading somewhere that there was something about the PB mags have a sharp crease at the top or something along those lines.

That's what I always heard too. The pre bans have a sharp crease and the post have a flat spot in the crease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To clear up a potential point of confusion, the PB marking stands for Pietro Beretta, not pre-ban.

That's what I always heard too. The pre bans have a sharp crease and the post have a flat spot in the crease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Here ya go.

2i28u52.jpg

If they are not marked with a date, they are pre-ban until you get into trouble with the law, then they will be post-ban. Even if they are pre-ban

At least that's how I think it works in actual practice anyways.

This. Here ya go.

2i28u52.jpg

That's what a lot of ex-spurts will have you believe.

I tried vetting this info with someone who worked for Beretta for many years as the Northeast region sales rep and he said not true. He's also a gun person and a personal friend.

Since I had to move everything in the house so the plasterer could replaster all the ceilings, I ran across a very old ad (pre-94 IIRC) from Beretta and guess what, the mags had a flat between the creases. If I ever unearth it again, I'll scan it in . . . however the doubters will always doubt!

If they are not marked with a date, they are pre-ban until you get into trouble with the law, then they will be post-ban. Even if they are pre-ban

At least that's how I think it works in actual practice anyways.

In reality I believe you are correct!

Back
Top Bottom