922r norinco hunter

I've searched and not found much concerning this specific rifle. The question is, does using a preban 30 round non-U.S. made magazine require the gun to be made 922r compliant if nothing else on the gun is changed and it's in its original form? Type 1. They accept high capacity mags with no modification in stock form.

Since I'm not sure what year these rifles were made, I don't know if 922r applies to this gun. There isn't really a lot of information about this particular rifle out there.

Thanks for any help on this one.

I've searched and not found much concerning this specific rifle. The question is, does using a preban 30 round non-U.S. made magazine require the gun to be made 922r compliant if nothing else on the gun is changed and it's in its original form? Type 1. They accept high capacity mags with no modification in stock form.

Since I'm not sure what year these rifles were made, I don't know if 922r applies to this gun. There isn't really a lot of information about this particular rifle out there.

Thanks for any help on this one.

If you don't convert it to be mill spec style you don't have to worry about 922r.
You can make a new in the box saiga take normal double stack mags and not worry about 922r .
If you toss a pistol grip on it then you will have to deal with 922r if you believe it doesn't apply to non importers/manufactures.
It's when you convert a "sporting rifle" to be more "millspec"

With 922r people only worry about the mags when they want to many imported parts on the gun and chose not to replace them and use the mags to get more parts for the non imported parts count.

Never heard of this variant befor looks like a good base for a galil ish clone.

This exactly. I own one as well. I can tell you there are three variants and I believe they are "pre-ban". Some people buy them to convert to Galil style AK's. I love mine- cheap way to get a milled polytech (oval 386) and it is like an AK in disguise.
Youtube has full conversion videos- I think it may be worth keeping in original form.

If you don't convert it to be mill spec style you don't have to worry about 922r.
You can make a new in the box saiga take normal double stack mags and not worry about 922r .
If you toss a pistol grip on it then you will have to deal with 922r if you believe it doesn't apply to non importers/manufactures.
It's when you convert a "sporting rifle" to be more "millspec"

With 922r people only worry about the mags when they want to many imported parts on the gun and chose not to replace them and use the mags to get more parts for the non imported parts count.

Never heard of this variant befor looks like a good base for a galil ish clone.

This exactly. I own one as well. I can tell you there are three variants and I believe they are "pre-ban". Some people buy them to convert to Galil style AK's. I love mine- cheap way to get a milled polytech (oval 386) and it is like an AK in disguise.
Youtube has full conversion videos- I think it may be worth keeping in original form.

I forget when the cut off date is for 922r is .

That said the Chinese aks stopped being imported before the awb so it's safe to assume it's that type of preban so if you do convert it you can have all the Killy stuff you want but of you choose need to follow 922r

Now that I think about it, the question was a moot point.

Since not converting anything, but merely interchanging a foreign, identical style and function part that doesn't change the configuration would not require any need for compliance. Got wrapped up in the fact that 922r includes magazines as 3 parts in their list.

Finding any interchangeable American parts would be tough because the trigger is uniquely shaped, the barrel is 20" and the gas tube, piston, and furniture are longer than the common AK. It would require a complete makeover and considerable gunsmithing and modification.

Any other history on this gun posted as a separate thread would be extremely helpful.

Thanks again

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom