• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Bad Info for Troops Deploying to South West Asia

Just got PM'd with a request for info about deployments to Iraq/Kuwait/Afghanistan. It seems there's some really bad info being given out by "semi-official" sources. I'll try to help with the info I know of. I've responded to the PM, but figured it may be more widespread.

The people that I know have gone over, to include my son, and half of my battalion, have been able to take laptops and other similar items. They do NOT have to sleep in their HMMWV's for months at a time, though they do some very long days (24+ hours, even up to 36 hours).

Digital cameras are good things to have, cell phones are not. Remember that dust gets into EVERYTHING, and I have heard reports of floppy/CD-ROM/DVD drives failing in laptops.

Sure any info would be great.

I know that my brother-in-law is going to be taking his Laptop and camera. But if you can think of things that we can send him when he gets over there, that would be great.

I know that MrsWildweasel is going to be doing some things, but other ideas would be great. I know that chapstick, and baby wipes were what his buddy said that they would have loved over there. And I heard that candy that can melt is a bad thing.

I heard the laptops might be a no go,but I will fight that one. I got some bad info this morning which is why I have been talking to Nickle.

Just sent e-mails to some of my really good friends, and my son. All are gun people, they don't BS answer any questions, and one is currently in Kuwait. I'll post responses in this forum.

The laptop came out of a conversation this morning. I don't know how far this info has gone yet. I got a phone call this morning. I also figure they will probably have more accurate info their first drill next month. I also figure 2 can play and worst case we will send it to Alan in Iraq.

The thanks is more than enough.

I figure if they won't ship over, I'll help as many troops as I can. After all, they are my "brothers and sisters". Gotta take care of them.

I hear you on that. I feel like I have to also take care of them too. My son's friend who has no parents I feel is my kid too. When he goes in the next bunch that is relieving them I'll still be worrying and making sure he gets what he need too.

One thing I was asked for was scope mounts and rings for the M16's. Seems they preferred having a scoped M16 available on some of the HMMWV's. I had some direct shipped from TAPCO. Don't buy scopes ffrom them, though, they won't hold up, but the mounts and rings worked great. And they will ship USPS to an APO address. Don't get them ahead of time, since they're kind of frowned on before hand.

http://www.tapco.com

Cleaning kits were another problem. Ask them to look into whether they have enough. The military supply system is usually back ordered for them.

My brother-in-law's battalion has only one 50 cal MG with a rigid rod. The rest have crappy pull-throughs. Guess where that good one came from.

ETA:

Pull through cleaning kits for M16's and M9's were popular.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=618769

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=609005

We are sending Alan with all our cleaning supplies,once he gets there we are sending the spare parts. We figure it's easier to ask forgiveness later.

If you get him a cleaning rod, make sure it uses MIL-SPEC threads, not civilian threads. They are different, and he can get replacement brushes for the MIL-SPEC brushes there. They shouldn't hassle him about rods. If they're going through Ft Dix, they weren't a problem last year, I doubt they'll be a problem now.

On a side note, if you can contact his Sergeant Major, let him know that VT had some horrible transportation problems with Dix. We sent one driver and bus down when they deployed, but since the post was so bad, we sent down 3 buses and 5 drivers when they returned. We ran our own shuttle and transportation. I was one of the drivers when they returned. Nice touch, my son got his new cell phone within a couple of hours of getting off the plane.

Here's the first reponse. Holly has seen this thread and here's her reply.

They are right that it's easier to ask for forgivness later, and easier to mail stuff in once deployed than to take things with them. As far as the baby wipes and chapstick, Brett said they had too much, and not to send anymore. That's what the generic care packages tend to have a lot of. The most popular things with Brett were batteries and candy to give to the kids on missions.

It also depends a lot on what the mission is. Our guys were at a place where they could get to the PX on a regular basis, and had access to BIAP where the big PX was at least once a month or so.

I never had any issues with being told there were things in my boxes that couldn't be sent, or boxes coming back because of customs issues, but I learned quickly to be fairly vague on the forms. Ex: listing canned goods instead of specific types or flavors. Also, if sending expensive items, it's a good idea to not list them. We had some issues with game CD's being stolen out of packages, etc. I can understand wanting to insure the package, and if you do that, you have to list the item, so it's a personal decision. I only insured one package, and never had any issues with any of my packages.

Hope this gets you started. I have other suggestions, but as I said, it kind of depends on where they are deployed, what their mission is, and personal prefrences.

Holly

As far as listing what's in the packages, lets just say I shipped some stuff that was legal to own, but not air mailable. If I had shipped through the military, it still would've gone on the airplane, so it was a BS postal reg that wouldn't apply in the first place, since it went ground to the place where it went on an Air Force cargo plane, then was in the military's control.

Holly, if you follow up on this, thanks.

My son had told me that stuff to trade with soldiers from other countries is always good. Sometimes you get really nifty favors. Brett (Holly's husband) is really into Mosin Nagants and other Russian firearms. He actually got to shoot an SVD (Dragunov, real one) that some Ukranians had, IIRC. Nice to be able to do something in return.

Seems like I'm suppossed to be seeing a Ukranian bayonet (from the same group of Ukranians) for an AK sometime.

Hello, Holly here. Just wanted to let you know that I'm around now if you have any other questions that I might be able to help with. My husband is on his second deployment. His first was 13 months in Iraq with Nickle's son. He is now in Kuwait with another group from the same unit.

There are quite a few differences in his wants/needs between the two deployments. That's why I recommend waiting to see what it's like after the soldier gets in country.

The magazines we can't have brought into MA. We are going to wait until Alan gets to Iraq and have my brother send from texas.

Model 92 Beretta mag's can get pricey for good ones. I suggest waiting until he's in country before getting them, and then having them shipped direct.

He may find himself not using the pistol a whole lot, though I've heard it works really well (when used with laser grips) on Iraqi's in cars that won't back off after the 50 cal is pointed at them. They take the laser seriously it seems.

MrsTank said:
Hello, Holly here. Just wanted to let you know that I'm around now if you have any other questions that I might be able to help with. My husband is on his second deployment. His first was 13 months in Iraq with Nickle's son. He is now in Kuwait with another group from the same unit.

There are quite a few differences in his wants/needs between the two deployments. That's why I recommend waiting to see what it's like after the soldier gets in country.

Please tell him that we said thank you for his service Holly, and thank you for the info (I've adopted soldiers and they can't always write, so this helps).

Man I was looking all over for this thread.

Paul is over here now, and he said that he HAS to take his Laptop with him. That his commander said that they aren't allowed any out of country Laptops. So, if he want's his, it will have to go with him.

At least that what's he was saying they are telling him.

Suggestion... If sand gets into everything, howabout a big plastic bag to keep the laptop stored in when not in use? It may help cut down on the gunk.

Back
Top Bottom