91/30 Never issued????

I just received 91/30 with a 1939 stamp on the receiver. I spent yesterday and today cleaning and wiping and it looks fantastic. I stripped it down completely. Disassembled the bolt, the magazine, the trigger etc. It was what I did not see that has me confused. I saw absolutely no signs of wear. No scratches or dings on the stock. The bolt and firing pin look pristine. No marks on the magazine or magazine follower

I have 2 M1s so I am some what familiar with what to expect with a firearm of that age. I do not know alot about Mosins' is it possible that this rifle was manufactured, put into a crate and never issued? Does not seem likely as 1939 was very early in the war.

Edit
I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas here are the pictures of my new 91/30 from XXXXXXXXXXXX. Still have some cosmo clean any way take a look and tell me what you think.

barrelstamp.jpgbolt.jpgboltcomplete.jpgbolthead.jpgbuttstock.jpgfiringpin2.jpgrifleleftside.jpgriflemid.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 M1s so I am some what familiar with what to expect with a firearm of that age. I do not know alot about Mosins' is it possible that this rifle was manufactured, put into a crate and never issued? Does not seem likely as 1939 was very early in the war.

it would be interesting to actually know for a fact, but I don't think that it's too unlikely. The rifle may have been issued behind the front lines to some guard house. Also Nazis got a huge boatload of warehouses in 1941 where Stalin was stockpiling his arms (all very close to the borders, and there were reasons) None of them would be likely used nor destroyed, until may be recaptured and sent back to storage.

arent alot of mosins that come in the crates surplus like this? i guess i never thought about that aspect of it if it was issued

i just got a hex reciever from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx last week that looks brand new! i got it during the 'black friday' deal for $90!!! needless to say, it's probably going to end up a safe queen after it's thoroughly...ahem...tested.

no pictures yet, as NICS put a hold on it til tomorrow. having a popular name has it's disavantages, but it really helps when ex-girlfriends try to find you on facebook!

:)

-Iron Mike

When the rifles were refurbished, the metal was reblued and the stocks sanded and refinished with shellac. Most were never re-issued, and instead were placed into storage.

Highly unlikely to find an unissued Soviet Mosin Nagant M91/30, unless it is post-war dated, or a late war sniper, and even most of those received some form of refurbishment.

Take pics of the barrel logo, all the serial numbers, and the right side buttstock markings. That will tell the story.

When the rifles were refurbished, the metal was reblued and the stocks sanded and refinished with shellac. Most were never re-issued, and instead were placed into storage.

Highly unlikely to find an unissued Soviet Mosin Nagant M91/30, unless it is post-war dated, or a late war sniper, and even most of those received some form of refurbishment.

Take pics of the barrel logo, all the serial numbers, and the right side buttstock markings. That will tell the story.

Thank you for this. I will take pictures today and post them.

It is highly probable that it is a refurb, but not impossible that it was not issued. Equipment has a way of lurking in warehouses untouched and unnoticed for decades. Back in the golden age of milsurps it was possible to find and purchase 1917 Eddystones 03 Springfields and other guns in unissued condition. Of course these were prized and many sadly became sporterized. You could get pristine virtually unissued 1911's from the CMP. Any state as bureaucratic as the USSR was bound to have some unissued ordnance somewhere. Anyway, nice find and congrats.

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas here are the pictures of my new 91/30 from XXXXXXXXXXXX. Still have some cosmo clean any way take a look and tell me what you think.

Very nice, clean. Certainly refurbished. The bolt has been re-stamped without the Cyrillic letter prefix. The square box stamped on the barrel shank is the arsenal refurbishment mark. The stock has pressed sling slot escutcheons which were from late and post-war stock construction.

But get all the cosmo out of the bolt, and get it to the range. It makes a BIG boom!

I just received 91/30 with a 1939 stamp on the receiver. I spent yesterday and today cleaning and wiping and it looks fantastic. I stripped it down completely. Disassembled the bolt, the magazine, the trigger etc. It was what I did not see that has me confused. I saw absolutely no signs of wear. No scratches or dings on the stock. The bolt and firing pin look pristine. No marks on the magazine or magazine follower

Square box and ground bolt most certainly are refurbished but no less a nice rifle

Edit: Martin08 beat me to it...

Next person who posts or quotes the name of the company gets banned.

Very nice, clean. Certainly refurbished. The bolt has been re-stamped without the Cyrillic letter prefix. The square box stamped on the barrel shank is the arsenal refurbishment mark. The stock has pressed sling slot escutcheons which were from late and post-war stock construction.

But get all the cosmo out of the bolt, and get it to the range. It makes a BIG boom!

Thank you for the info on the barrel stamp. I will continue cleaning and hope to get it to the range soon

Back
Top Bottom