?

The regs did not get enacted. The main MG issue was a prohibition of any "shooting exhibition" at which visitors are allowed to handle and/or fire machine guns.

HSC had a machinegun shoot on New Years Day and someone ratted us out to the state. The club received an e mail advising that no one not licensed could even touch a machinegun. The law is very vague but I was reminded by a member in law enforcement that since we're in a "may issue" state, any one of us could lose our license for doing anything deemed "unsuitable". This won't apply at the Frosty Shoot in NH but be careful in Ma.

HSC had a machinegun shoot on New Years Day and someone ratted us out to the state. The club received an e mail advising that no one not licensed could even touch a machinegun. The law is very vague but I was reminded by a member in law enforcement that since we're in a "may issue" state, any one of us could lose our license for doing anything deemed "unsuitable". This won't apply at the Frosty Shoot in NH but be careful in Ma.

I thought it was perfectly fine, as long as there was an NRA certified range officer present?

One thing to keep in mind is if you get a machine gun just file an ATF 5320 form on it every year (permission to transport an MG across state lines, which always gets approved) and get a club in NH to shoot it at. Then if the regs here get worse, you can always just bring friends to NH with your MG to shoot it, where the stupid MA laws and regulations will not apply.

-Mike

also is it possible to get a green card cited "ALP" or is it most likely going to say collector in the restrictions portion on the license? i believe mine was submitted into MIRCS "ALP" by the PD.

Unless you are a LE MG instructor, it will say "collector". I once had a renewal issued for ALP, but the state kicked it back. My IA corrected it and said "now you have two". That was before MIRCS when life was simple. Jack.

It's all in the 700 pages of the federal and state laws. Anyone interested in title 2 firearms needs to obtain and study these. Jack.

Great advise...There is a lot to know, but its really isn't as "scary" complicated as some make it out to be... I'd also say get a subscription to Small Arms Review, if Long Mountain still sell "the Machinegun Owners hand book" get a copy, spend some time over a sites like subguns.com (there is even a small MA NFA site at www.northeastmachinegunfun.com) and you should be just fine. I'd use a dealer for first NFA deal, then the rest is up to you...

Then of course have lots of fun with your new toys...

As long as you can get written permission from BATFE to take the guns over the border into NH, you should have no other problems with state/LE harassment.

An NRA certified anything has nothing to do with MGLs in anything.

True, however, NRA instructor status is the primary certification accepted by the MSP for issuance of MA instructor certification, which has some standing under MGL.

The issue of MG shooting by non-green card holders hinges on the definition of "provided to" is. Prior to the Westfield tragedy, everyone assumed that allowing the use under the direct supervision of the green card holder was not "providing" a machine gun - an interpretation that has come into question since the Westfield incident. At one point, one of the MG shoots had the green card holder keep his/her hand on the MG at all times.

The current situation is that any green card holder letting non-licensees handle or fire their gun is waving the red cape in front of a bull that is considerably more powerful, and well funded, than the green card holder.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom