9 mm effectiveness ?

Packing a 9 millie means your loaded for bear!

The three main calibers are pretty close these days performance wise. I don’t buy into the 9mm is the be all end all round, real men shoot 45s and 40 short and wimpy should just go away. I carry all three and am confident in doing so. Like all guns pick the ammo that it likes the best. Just cuz it’s a 40 doesn’t mean one has to run 180 grainers. My G23 likes 155s.
That said I like winchester ranger t series for protection ammo in 9 and 40 (haven’t come across it in 45) and Federal for 45. Many like Gold Dot for 9mm. Most good HPs are gonna perform similar so buy a couple types and see what groups the best in your carry piece.

I have Ranger T in 9mm +p+ and 45acp, So 45acp is/was out there, but Winchester wont allow sales of the T series to civillians any longer.

My comments were to conclude the 9mm is effective (for a pistol)

Also to explain why many, now choose the 9mm over .40S&W

It goes without saying that shot placement (where you hit them). Matters much more than the caliber used...

The Reasons Why FBI Went to Back to 9mm | The Loadout Room

Ammunition is engineered better today (far better than in the past)

So, the same engineering has not not been applied to advance the performance of the .40 and .45?

This argument is all over the internet and makes zero sense. It's like saying there is no need for 6 or 8 cylinder engines due to improvements of the 4 cylinder.

That said, I love the 9mm and own/carry one on a daily basis but I can see why some still like the 40/45, esp. in mag restricted states.

I would say there is way more choices across the board from 380acp and up to 45 cal. Than there was 15 years ago but there is a lot of emphasis on 9 due to more people carrying for personal protection than ever before.

Whatever you get lead on target with man. I've seen some people make golf balls with 1911s at speed and others do it with Glock 19s. FBI says ~200 ft/lbs on target has been enough to stop most perps. So anything .38 and above has enough power to get the job done. The big question is if you can hit shit with it under extreme stress.
I believe nothing the FBI says.

Civilians can still purchase it through vendors.

The information that I have is that Winchester has stopped selling the Ranger T series to many wholesalers who continued to sell to gun shops who in turn sold to non law enforcement. I do know from a local ffl that all of his sources no longer can sell it to him and some wholesalers can no longer buy Ranger T. There are probably some leaks in the civilian lockout though, like with anything else.

This video is great and should squash the caliber debate, but it won't, ever.
Pistols are pistols and rifles are rifles.

View: https://youtu.be/T6kUvi72s0Y

The final statement in that video is the more important factor, by far, when it comes to this never-ending debate.
Basically if you have to use your handgun, you should have brought a rifle.

The information that I have is that Winchester has stopped selling the Ranger T series to many wholesalers who continued to sell to gun shops who in turn sold to non law enforcement. I do know from a local ffl that all of his sources no longer can sell it to him and some wholesalers can no longer buy Ranger T. There are probably some leaks in the civilian lockout though, like with anything else.

One of the most popular vendors on this forum that ships to MA sells it to civilians.

5 years from now we'll be talking about how 9mm is underpowered and the .40 is where it's at.

That said the .40 does NOT suck as some claim. The peops who prefer 9mm over the .40 also prefer wine coolers. That should tell you all you need to know.

Basides, when it comes to states like MA where there are magazine restrictions, tell me, what would you rather have:

10 rounds of 9mm
10 rounds of .40
8 rounds of .45

I rest my case.

Shot placement and number of hits are far more important than 9 vs 40 vs 45. If you look at the energy transfer, .45 is the highest, but again, shot placement and number of hits are more important.

9mm bullets are far more effective than they were years ago, but so are 45.

I was a dedicated .45 guy for decades. I recently switched to 9mm for increased capacity due to the rise in gang violence and riots. I now carry 17-round mags with +5 extensions :)

If you are stuck with 10-round mags, I would go with .45.

i like my 9mm hollow points, all 37 i carry with 1 extra mag. if that's not enough "stopping power" i'm screwed.

9mm = metric. Probably a long term sleeper commie plot of some sort. Unproven. Tiny, but cute little bullet.

.45 = bigger and 100% 'Merican, so no question, better. How is this not obvious?
Also, wisdom dictates one owns an assortment of firearms, in each caliber, because of the availability of ammo in a given flavor may or may not be available at all times.

5 years from now we'll be talking about how 9mm is underpowered and the .40 is where it's at.

That said the .40 does NOT suck as some claim. The peops who prefer 9mm over the .40 also prefer wine coolers. That should tell you all you need to know.

Basides, when it comes to states like MA where there are magazine restrictions, tell me, what would you rather have:

10 rounds of 9mm
10 rounds of .40
8 rounds of .45

I rest my case.

Hey hey hey. What's wrong with wine coolers?? Bartles & James made a killing off of them.

I've always been a big fan of a good BJ. ;)

One of the most popular vendors on this forum that ships to MA sells it to civilians.

If they do I haven't seen it, but then I'm not looking for more of it either. I am happy to hear that other shooters can get this good ammo though. Hopefully what you've said will cause some NES'rs to seek it out and at he same time hopefully Winchester won't find out and shut down the source.

10 rounds of 9mm
10 rounds of .40
8 rounds of .45

I rest my case.

I prefer 13 rounds of .45

I think it's chapter 131, section 67 of MA hunting laws (if you are in MA):

"A person shall not use or possess, where birds or mammals may be found, any rifle chambered to take larger than twenty-two long rifle ammunition, or any revolver or pistol chambered to take larger than thirty-eight caliber ammunition between the hours of one half hour after sunset to one half hour before sunrise of any day throughout the year."

So, If you're carrying all the time, and out and about, as soon as the sun sets you are pretty much "illegal" if you are carrying anything larger than a .38 (9mm). Granted.... how do they define anything larger than a .38 calibler. Birds or mammals are found pretty much everywhere.

According to this "chapter 131, section 67 of MA hunting laws" that you present, since humans ARE mammals I would say that you can't carry anything bigger than a .38 (9mm) anywhere basically from dusk til dawn... Who wrote this f-ing idiocy?

According to this "chapter 131, section 67 of MA hunting laws" that you present, since humans ARE mammals I would say that you can't carry anything bigger than a .38 (9mm) anywhere basically from dusk til dawn... Who wrote this f-ing idiocy?

Lol. Did you really post this!

I think the 9mm Luger was first made in 1902 and the first .45 ACP in 1905... so both still being in use by police and military over 114+ year later says something... while the .40 is going the way of the Dodo.

Shot placement and number of hits are far more important than 9 vs 40 vs 45. If you look at the energy transfer, .45 is the highest, but again, shot placement and number of hits are more important.

9mm bullets are far more effective than they were years ago, but so are 45.

I was a dedicated .45 guy for decades. I recently switched to 9mm for increased capacity due to the rise in gang violence and riots. I now carry 17-round mags with +5 extensions :)

If you are stuck with 10-round mags, I would go with .45.
Or the best of all worlds a Glock 20 with +5 base plates... 61 rounds of 10mm awesomeness in your shoulder holster... you can always fill your pockets with more mags if needed!

Back
Top Bottom