• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

9-11-01 You will not be Forgotten

NES Member
RISE AGAIN
By Christian Messer

As September eleventh comes around,
we remember the two beautiful towers that fell to the ground.
It was an act of terrorism this we know,
and the tears of America now show.
This country is going to war,
more of our woman and men will be lost for sure.
Now time has passed about a year,
from when we lost those lives so dear.
This time will we just sit and watch this war?
Or will we stand and fight for something more?
Will our country stand and fight for justice?
Yes it will and not for just this.
We will fight for the lives that were lost,
and for the peace and security that they cost.
The deep water that seems to surround us now will soon be drained,
and America will rise again to reign.​

Sept_11th_Collage.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice.

I thought about going to the range today but decided to quietly remember the events of that day and all of our fellow Americans that were killed five years ago, in particular my 350+ fallen brother firefighters.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13

Rest in peace.

I thought about going to the range today but decided to quietly remember the events of that day and all of our fellow Americans that were killed five years ago, in particular my 350+ fallen brother firefighters.
I think I will be going to the range tonight... my way of remembering. I have several friends who should have been in the towers that day but for many different reasons (slept late, scheduled to work later, rescheduled job interview for wednesday) were not... thank G-d.

This is for all of those who were in the towers... and for those who ran to the sound the gun and died for it.
halfmast.gif

I think I will be going to the range tonight... my way of remembering. I have several friends who should have been in the towers that day but for many different reasons (slept late, scheduled to work later, rescheduled job interview for wednesday) were not... thank G-d.

This is for all of those who were in the towers... and for those who ran to the sound the gun and died for it.
halfmast.gif

I know Ross...there were several of my co-workers that were to fly out to LA on that flight...but because of something here at work, it was pushed out a week. The 8 guys here all still have thier original travel auths for both flights...

It's pretty erie, but we could have been 8 employees shorter after that day...

JayG, who knows if it will be today,but I am sure we are due or overdue for another attack. It is just a matter of time.[sad2]

Personally, I was expecting it 4 years and 9 months ago... I can't understand why it hasn't happened yet. It can't be because our border security is so tight. [rolleyes] Maybe Iraq & Afghanistan have been acting as lightning rods and drawing all their attention?

To be totally honest the U.S. Forces have been kicking the shit out of al qaeda all over Afghanistan. The troops there don't have the tight rules of engagement that they have in Iraq.

I think the chaos over there has made it more difficult to plan, deploy, and execute another stike.

I do know it is impossible to stop every attack. All they can do is make it as difficult as possible to do.

To be totally honest the U.S. Forces have been kicking the shit out of al qaeda all over Afghanistan. The troops there don't have the tight rules of engagement that they have in Iraq.

Nor do they have journalists watching their every move. Embedded journalism is IMHO one of the biggest tactical blunders our military has every allowed to happen.

I'm quietly remembering today, and every time I hear a plane fly overhead think back to how eerily absent that sound was 5 years ago.

I was watching the memorial service in NY on TV this morning. After about 4 minutes of hearing the names of those who died, I had to turn it off. The anger I felt 5 years ago surfaced yet again and I couldn't take it. I spent a few minutes remembering where I was when I first heard and how the rest of that day went. I then remembered that's how I got in to security and how hubby and I stood watch for the following few weekends after 9/11 at the Coastie station in Boston. As nerve wracking as that was, I felt like I was actually able to do something for my country at that point and I didn't feel as helpless.

Will they attack again? Yes. It's the nature of the beast (my apologies to beasts for the comparison). Those bastards want us and our way of life to be snuffed out.

God Bless America.

I tried twice to re-enlist back in 2001 after the attack. I'm too damm old they said. I'd go in a heartbeat today if given the chance.

I will never forget. I will never forgive.

Try to understand them as some people say ? Not a chance ! All these fundamentalists understand is force. "Religion of peace" ...Yeah, right.

Jay G said:
Please tell me I'm not the only one who's a little scared that the jihadi a**h***s are going to try something today?

I wouldn't be surprised at all if there is a "Fifth Collum" in every major city.

Mr. Twigg, your not alone in wanting to go back in. Although if they raise the age limit a couple more years I'm there.
Big warden I also agree imbedded journalist have no business being there with the troops.

I was watching the memorial service in NY on TV this morning. After about 4 minutes of hearing the names of those who died, I had to turn it off. The anger I felt 5 years ago surfaced yet again and I couldn't take it. I spent a few minutes remembering where I was when I first heard and how the rest of that day went. I then remembered that's how I got in to security and how hubby and I stood watch for the following few weekends after 9/11 at the Coastie station in Boston. As nerve wracking as that was, I felt like I was actually able to do something for my country at that point and I didn't feel as helpless.

Will they attack again? Yes. It's the nature of the beast (my apologies to beasts for the comparison). Those bastards want us and our way of life to be snuffed out.

God Bless America.
Lynne, my sentiments exactly. I had to turn off the radio this morning (no way in hell I'm going to listen to Scott Allen Miller moralize on 9/11). It's just so amazing to me that people in this country went through 9/11 (never mind those actually touched by it) and now see ways to think our government engineered it [shocked] All the patriotism and fellowship is gone again, and everyone is at each other's throats politically. We're no safer than we were, and losing sight of what makes this country great day by day..... [angry]

Eh, I'm not saying this right - the whole subject just makes me crazy so I can't think straight.

I know Ross...there were several of my co-workers that were to fly out to LA on that flight...but because of something here at work, it was pushed out a week. The 8 guys here all still have thier original travel auths for both flights...

It's pretty erie, but we could have been 8 employees shorter after that day...

I also was scheduled to fly on AA 11 and my boss wouldn't approve my request......twice. I had already scheduled meetings and reserved hotels. Today, I'll lay flowers at the Bob Hayes memorial in Amesbury Ma. We had planned to travel to LA together and visit customers. Bob made the flight, I never boarded. Why do I still feel so guilty?

I also was scheduled to fly on AA 11 and my boss wouldn't approve my request......twice. I had already scheduled meetings and reserved hotels. Today, I'll lay flowers at the Bob Hayes memorial in Amesbury Ma. We had planned to travel to LA together and visit customers. Bob made the flight, I never boarded. Why do I still feel so guilty?

It's called survivors guilt hun, and it's very normal. Understand one thing...when it's not your time, it's not your time. You, for whatever reason, were not meant to be on that flight. A friend of mine was supposed to be in a meeting in the North Tower 5 years ago today. At the last minute, his boss changed the plans due to something that came up. My friend should have been on the 101st floor. Everyone that was at the meeting died that day. He walked around for a good 3 weeks in shock, and yes, he felt some guilt too. Do your best to feel grateful and appreciate that you're still around for friends and family. They most certainly are grateful. [wink]

We haven't been attacked here because we're on their time line. They have nothing but time. Look how the political climate has changed since 9-11.
The appeasers are hard at work and the worse thing the terrorists could do is attack us here before the next presidential election.

It's called survivors guilt hun, and it's very normal. Understand one thing...when it's not your time, it's not your time. You, for whatever reason, were not meant to be on that flight. A friend of mine was supposed to be in a meeting in the North Tower 5 years ago today. At the last minute, his boss changed the plans due to something that came up. My friend should have been on the 101st floor. Everyone that was at the meeting died that day. He walked around for a good 3 weeks in shock, and yes, he felt some guilt too. Do your best to feel grateful and appreciate that you're still around for friends and family. They most certainly are grateful. [wink]
Thank you Lynne for the kind words, I understand survivor’s guilt now, but I don't like it. Each year at this time, I hug my kids a lot and thank God I'm alive. I had delayed shock since I really couldn't get my head around it for a long time. Then I had the good fortune to be at an air show in England and have a beer with a WWII Spitfire pilot. I told him my story because I knew he would understand. He told me about survivor’s guilt and how he best handled it in his life. Essentially, he tried to live each day well and with honor since his fallen comrades couldn’t. I’ve adopted that philosophy and it’s served me well.

I didn't know anyone involved. My wife, however, had just finished an interview with a group from TJX that perished on AA 11. She never bothered to persue the job.

I was at work early that day. Today reminds me so much of it with the clear blue skies. I remember at about 10am, a bunch of us left the office and walked across Flanders's Road to the conservation land and just wandered the trails in absolute silence. There were a lot of people out that morning. All looking for some answers.

I had a deadline with Ford that week. I never made it. Nobody ever said a word. It was as if those around us became more important than the work.

Sept 11 is our anniversary. We still went out to dinner as we had planned. It wasn't at all a memorable night. Although the place was almost empty, the wait staff was very slow. It didn't matter.

My wife and I had broadway tickets to see the Producers the weekend after the attack. We went.

We stayed just south of Central Park. The city appeared deflated. We walked everywhere in the beautiful end of summer days and nights. Many shops were closed, or closed early. There were few smiles and fewer still groups of people talking. It was as if all the conversations had been had.

Emergency vehicles were everywhere. They came from all over. The sidewalks were blocked in places to make room for them to park. The men hovering around them never looked up and we never bothered them.

We went to the show, but I can't tell you how it was as I don't remember even being there. I remember standing in the middle of Times Square with red vehicles lining the streets in all directions and not having to wait for the lights to cross the street on a Saturday evening. Even the police officer standing on the island in the middle of the square seemed to be elsewhere.

I think that weekend is when people were starting to realize the magnatude of the events. The rescue workers were starting to get into a routine and had time to stop and reflect. The flags began to appear.

And overhead, casting a shadow by day and blocking the stars by night, the rising black plume from lower Manhatten continued.

My father-in-law was one of those responders. He and several of the men at his station left that day to go and help...

I can't imagine being one of those men that went. Like you said Chris, they came from all over...

Like war, he doesn't really talk about it how it was when he was there...but I know that he'll never forget.

September 11th, 2001, I was at work at The MathWorks. Someone came into the System Support Group area and asked if we had a TV we could hook up as they'd just heard that a plane hit the WTC. I remember thinking it must be foggy in NYC like the night when a plane hit the Empire State Building. No thoughts of terrorism at all. Just concern for a friend who worked there.

We got the TV hooked up and put it in the cafeteria. It seemed like the entire company was there... and NO ONE was saying a word. It was as quiet as the tomb... and then the towers went down one by one.

I was numb - I had friends who worked there, I had friends and relatives in NYC. I'd seen those towers go up, I remembered the fuss over how ugly they were.

I went to my office and closed the door and locked it. Called Kathy and found out that there were F-15s flying cover over MIT... and her office was only a block or so from MIT. Don't really remember much else about the day except that it was beautiful weather... just like today.

I found out later about several friends' experience: Laura had a chiropractor's appt and didn't get to the WTC 'til 9:30; cops wouldn't let her off of the subway. Mike didn't go to work that morning; his four year old son was getting his tonsils out. Rick's alarm clock didn't go off. On Monday, Jeannie postponed a 9:00 job interview until Wednesday as Tuesday was the only day she could borrow a pickup truck to move to a new apartment.

Kathy & I had tickets for a Disney cruise with a four of our friends less than two weeks later. Everyone was asking us if we were afraid to fly and if we were going to cancel. Disney was allowing folks to cancel with no penalties... and I said that I'd be damned in spades if I was going to let some ragheaded terrorists scare me off of my vacation. I might go down in flames, but by G-d, I wasn't going to live in fear. It was a great trip, too... ship was pretty empty as lots of folks HAD cancelled.

I was 30 miles from NYC on 9/11. I watched as people pulled over to the side of the road as they listened to their radios in disbelief. It was a beautiful sunny today (like today) that turned into a nightmare.
"Never Forget"

My brother flew out right after 9/11. His comments were he knows the planes inside and out, and he also knows how to disable them if he needs too. He was working for Boeing out of Seattle at the time.[wink]

Back
Top Bottom