• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"88 percent of all Americans support UNIVERSAL BACKGROUND CHECKS"

Seriously where are these polls being given? How come I never come across it and have a chance to join the count?

Seriously where are these polls being given? How come I never come across it and have a chance to join the count?
Funny how I dont know a single conservative in my entire family and friend group who has ever been called to take a poll

The survey from Morning Consult and Politico showed that 73 percent of respondents “strongly support” universal background checks and 15 percent “somewhat support” the requirement.

Only 4 percent said they “somewhat oppose” background checks, and another 4 percent “strongly oppose” them. Five percent said they had no opinion.

percent

pər-sĕnt′

adverb​

1. Out of each hundred; per hundred.

73 + 15 + 4 + 4 + 5 = 101

And that right there tells me just how accurate the poll is.

Yeah, I know about decimal places. The sum still cannot be more than the whole.

Didn't someone say that polls tell the story the people running them want to be said 120% of the time, with them being accurate <10% of the time?? Or something like that...

You can see the internal inconsistencies within the poll’s own answers:

Requiring background checks on all gun sales, 73% strongly support.
Making private gun sales and sales at gun shows subject to background checks, 64% strongly support.

Since background checks on private sales is a subset of background checks on all guns sales, how can you strongly support “universal” background checks but not strongly support background checks on private sales (which 9% of the poll responders did). It just shows the poll responders had no idea what they were responding to.

ETA Not to mention that right at the end they show that they have under represented gun household in the poll. 38% of the respondents lived in a household with a gun while the latest statics on gun ownership in the US report 42-44% of households have at least one gun.

Last edited:
[rolleyes]

I'm betting right after some sort of dumbassery, over 50% of phone surveyed morons would be OK with some sort of restriction on what people can say.

Even conservatives. "Them BLM folk shouldn't be allowed to talk like that!"

But let's look at their polling data.

79% support people who are on the no-fly list can't buy a gun.
67% want to ban assault rifles.
69% want to ban standard capacity mags.
81% Gun show loopy-hole.
68% believe we should have mandatory mental health screening in our schools

Given every answer in the survey (link is at OP), I'd say their pool is just a tad biased. Their alleged data at the end looks right. But damn. It's almost as if they phone interviewed (for seemingly EIGHT FREAKING HOURS) 5,000 people and cherry-picked the 1920 they wanted in the survey.

the question about surveys is how it was written (clear or ambiguous), the allowed responses yes/no or an explanation and does the answer actually say what you want it to say, or is it open to the reader's interpretation . Slanted questions and twisted interpretations are the currency of the pollsters. They usually find the results that the people /organization, that commissioned the poll, want.

Let’s see the level of free-state support for not being able to hand down your Winchester to your in-state son without going to a dealer and paying the dealer $40 to transfer it and having to fill out a 4473.

"An overwhelming majority of Americans questioned in a poll conducted one day after the mass shooting at an elementary school in Texas supports background checks on all gun sales".

Don't these twatwaffles understand a "universal background check" law would not have prevented this? The murderer PASSED one to buy a rifle because he had no criminal record. FFS these people don't even show one iota of intelligent original thought.

I could get behind UBC's but I'd want the following:

1. Remove the limitation of FFL monopolies on UBC's- open the database to private individuals so we can sell a gun and do a check against the buyer with a go/nogo, no waits and at no cost.
2. Provide protections for sales that process on a go that should have been a nogo but pushed incorrectly.
3. Make the system voluntary
4. Remove laws regarding interstate sales- if I want to sell a handgun to someone in VT FTF and I'm from ME, so be it.

But lets not think for a second UBC's are going to stop these mass shootings, this shooter passed two BC's at a retail ffl.

The survey from Morning Consult and Politico showed that 73 percent of respondents “strongly support” universal background checks and 15 percent “somewhat support” the requirement.

Only 4 percent said they “somewhat oppose” background checks, and another 4 percent “strongly oppose” them. Five percent said they had no opinion.

73 + 15 + 4 + 4 + 5 = 101%

MAFTH!!!

Let’s see the level of free-state support for not being able to hand down your Winchester to your in-state son without going to a dealer and paying the dealer $40 to transfer it and having to fill out a 4473.
The way that guns get swapped around in my family, and if this had been law for a while now, we would have saved big bucks. Jack.

Polls are shit

But this is a dangerous topic because most americans, gun owners and even "conservatives" don't really understand the danger factor of UBC. They think its all about stopping the bad guy, until they become the "bad guy" thats never hurt a soul physically in their life and they're getting "suddenly" harmed by its existence.... perhaps because they have an opinion the machine doesn't like.....

Back
Top Bottom