• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Guide to gun rights in your Massachusetts town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, just over 8 weeks to the day and I've got my LTC-A in-hand from Medford...with Target and Hunting as a restriction, as promised by the licensing officer. If anything, they were honest about the timing and restriction.

Anyone have recommendations for how to nix the BS restriction? Should I go straight to Comm2A? Should I try to talk man-to-man to the chief first?

Well, just over 8 weeks to the day and I've got my LTC-A in-hand from Medford...with Target and Hunting as a restriction, as promised by the licensing officer. If anything, they were honest about the timing and restriction.

Anyone have recommendations for how to nix the BS restriction? Should I go straight to Comm2A? Should I try to talk man-to-man to the chief first?

efforts to get rid of a restriction typically would have been better served working to avoid getting one in the first place.

Not what I asked, and not possible in Medford, where the chief openly admits to the press that first-time applicants aren't "allowed" to get unrestricted: http://medford.wickedlocal.com/news...ce-chiefs-have-discretion-on-issuing-licenses

Not what you asked, but still relevant. If I knew ahead of time that I was going to get restrictions if I applied, I would be holding off on applying and determining if there is anything I can do to dodge getting restrictions when I do apply. After the fact is a hell of a lot harder.

Haverhill MA.....renewal......called April 26 for an appointment.....left message.....det Corthell called me back next day with an apt of may 2. Spent 15 minutes shooting the breeze with him while he processed the documents......today is June 5 my new unrestrictes license is in.

Haverhill.....still green everyone.

Hadley MA renewal:
Applied May 11th (with a load of other people/women whom I would never thought carry)
Received June 3.
~23 days, unrestricted. [smile]

Any special instructions for Haverhill? I see it's green but asking for a very noob co worker and i'd like to give him good advice.

thanks in advance

Any special instructions for Haverhill? I see it's green but asking for a very noob co worker and i'd like to give him good advice.

thanks in advance
Was just talking to somebody here in Haverhill who went through it in March. He says the chief is making Det. Corthell issue sporting restrictions for new licenses. The good detective told him to call back in a year and he'll have it removed.

This is a bit disappointing. I went through it last year in Haverhill and got my unrestricted LTC with no questions asked.

Sounds like Haverhill is becoming a little less green.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Was just talking to somebody here in Haverhill who went through it in March. He says the chief is making Det. Corthell issue sporting restrictions for new licenses. The good detective told him to call back in a year and he'll have it removed.

This is a bit disappointing. I went through it last year in Haverhill and got my unrestricted LTC with no questions asked.

thanks for the info and yes, that does suck.

So class A can open carry them? Is there any lawful permit for it?

IANAL
There no longer is a class A or B, so they are all class A. As Kalash said, you can open carry, UNLESS you have restrictions. For example if you are restricted to hunting/target use only, you can NOT carry open or concealed.

And depending on your chief and where you open carry you could find yourself deemed unsuitable very quickly.

Haverhill MA.....renewal......called April 26 for an appointment.....left message.....det Corthell called me back next day with an apt of may 2. Spent 15 minutes shooting the breeze with him while he processed the documents......today is June 5 my new unrestrictes license is in.

Haverhill.....still green everyone.

I can confirm whacko's assertion that renewals are a breeze and the detective is a good guy. However I am a little concerned to hear about new licenses being restricted. Also, I know that in the past year they are requiring letters of reference from applicants (both new and renewal).

Any thoughts on what one can do to push back against this? I wasn't about to start in on it with the Detective as it was clear it wasn't his decision and I can relate to dealing with BS that the boss is pushing. However I own property in the city, I pay my taxes, so if I think something is wrong it is my right to push back on it.

IANAL
There no longer is a class A or B, so they are all class A. As Kalash said, you can open carry, UNLESS you have restrictions. For example if you are restricted to hunting/target use only, you can NOT carry open or concealed.

And depending on your chief and where you open carry you could find yourself deemed unsuitable very quickly.

Corrections:

There are still class Bs out there, but there aren't any *new* class Bs

And, under a target/hunting restricted LTC-A, you *can* carry a loaded handgun, so long as you are engaged in the activities listed in the restrictions, or at home.

"engaged in the activities" includes "travel to and from the activity from your home". so, although you can't have a loaded handgun while hunting because of the hunting regs, you can carry there and back.

Having said all this, open carry, although legal, is a really bad idea. The chances that someone will freak out and call the police are high enough that it's not worth the ginormous expense and hassle of getting arrested.

"engaged in the activities" includes "travel to and from the activity from your home". so, although you can't have a loaded handgun while hunting because of the hunting regs, you can carry there and back.

Having said all this, open carry, although legal, is a really bad idea. The chances that someone will freak out and call the police are high enough that it's not worth the ginormous expense and hassle of getting arrested.

On restricted LTC-As, the Bolded part above is ONLY true if the issuing chief agrees with this. What you are referring to is a memo by FRB that only has legal standing for NR LTCs that FRB issues. The FRB can not over-rule local chiefs on issuance of Resident LTCs.

milktree said:

On restricted LTC-As, the Bolded part above is ONLY true if the issuing chief agrees with this. What you are referring to is a memo by FRB that only has legal standing for NR LTCs that FRB issues. The FRB can not over-rule local chiefs on issuance of Resident LTCs.

So.... I got this from a guy who was (I think) the licensing officer in the department he worked (but not the chief) in 2006. It came from a mailing list he's on that deals with LTC issues.

Yes, I realize that was 11 years ago, but the list of state agencies that appear to have signed off on it is pretty compelling.

Have there been changes since then?

MIRCS et al said:
Change in Firearms License Restriction Choices on MIRCS

Effective 11-9-06

Over the past year, the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association
Firearms Committee, the Gun Control Advisory Board, and CHSB Firearms
Support Services have worked together to develop a standardized list of
firearms licensing restrictions. This completed list was subsequently
presented to and endorsed by the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police
Association Executive Board.

The reason for this work is twofold. First, since licenses, by statute,
are issued for all lawful purposes unless restricted by the licensing
authority, an actual “restriction” (if any) should be indicated
rather than a “reason for issuance” as was done in the past. The
section on a license that previously read “Reason For Issuing
License” has been reworded to be “Restriction”. Second,
historically there have been dozens of undefined restrictions that
often meant different things depending on which community issued the
license. The new shortened and defined list should alleviate at least some
of that problem, while still allowing chiefs the discretion they desire.

Please note that the option “None” represents that there is no
restriction imposed by the licensing authority. This should be chosen
in cases where All Lawful Purpose, Personal Protection, Police Officer
or similar “reasons” were previously used

The following list will be implemented on MIRCS by Firearms Support
Services on November 9, 2006.

The New Restrictions

None – The LTC is issued for all lawful purposes with no
restrictions. This is used for all FID cards, as by statute, they may
not be issued with any restrictions imposed.

Target & Hunting – Restricts possession to the purpose of lawful
recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of
game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; and for the
purpose of collecting (other than machine guns). Includes travel to and
from activity location.

Sporting – Restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational
shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and
birds; for personal protection in the home; for the purpose of collecting
(other than machine guns); and for outdoor recreational activities such
as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or similar activities. Includes
travel to and from activity location.

Employment - Restricts possession to business owner engaged in business
activities, or to an employee while engaged in work related activities,
and maintaining proficiency, where the employer requires carrying of
a firearm (i.e. armored car, security guard, etc.). Includes travel to
and from activity location.

Other – The licensing authority create a restriction it deems proper.

So.... I got this from a guy who was (I think) the licensing officer in the department he worked (but not the chief) in 2006. It came from a mailing list he's on that deals with LTC issues.

Yes, I realize that was 11 years ago, but the list of state agencies that appear to have signed off on it is pretty compelling.

Have there been changes since then?

I know all about the memo as well as what some towns mean wrt restrictions. I keep in tune with what's going on in LE and I was a member of that LE eList when that was posted.

I know all about the memo as well as what some towns mean wrt restrictions. I keep in tune with what's going on in LE and I was a member of that LE eList when that was posted.

OK, so you're saying that the memo is widely ignored, or never had any meaning?

I'm not trying to challenge you here, just trying to get the history.

OK, so you're saying that the memo is widely ignored, or never had any meaning?

I'm not trying to challenge you here, just trying to get the history.

FRB is not a law making body, nor legally are they supposed to "interpret" law. So their "guidance" is well-meaning but they can't tell local chiefs what to do. Since FRB issues NR LTCs, that memo does mean something for NRs.

I specifically teach this stuff in my Mass Gun Law Seminar to make it clear to folks. If a local chief goes along with what is in the memo, that is great for those he restricts, but many will not . . . Boston as an example absolutely will not allow any concealed carry on restricted LTCs and they make that clear to applicants.

In the process of applying for a renewal. Currently unrestricted, but living in Springfield now :(. Has anything changed from Red to green???

Looking to apply on my 21st birthday next month in Reading. Had my fid card for about five years now. Anybody know the chances i will get an unrestricted ltc-a?

Unless they decide you're unsuitable for an LTC (not likely given your FID), then the "A" is a given since there is now only one class issued. Someone else will have to speak up about Reading and restrictions.

Just chiming in from Merrimac MA since it says inconsistent info from 2011. I contacted our department to set up a meeting on 7/17, meetings are Thursdays 12-4, with one Thursday a month 3-7. Meeting was 7/27, longest wait was him signing in to all the online portals. License "issued" 8/22, in hand on 9/13. 48 days.

Just picked up my LTC from Springfield yesterday.. No restrictions. :) Wasn't sure how it would turn out, but glad for it. One week shy of two month from start to finish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom