• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

870 ejector repair/gunsmith recommendations

Hi all,
New-ish member here and I am experiencing some difficulty with an 870 police turn in I purchased recently. Last Saturday I went shopping for the aforementioned shotgun at a reputable store and it was beyond busy. The staff were remarkably helpful (even stayed late to make sure my paperwork would go through) but I later discovered when I got home the barrel and bolt seemed to almost be "loose" in the reciever. I did a little digging and found my ejector had sheered the forward portion that mates with the corresponding key cut in the barrel.

My question comes in two parts:
1) Is there a gunsmith who specializes in Remington 870s or shotguns in general that comes highly recommended? I'm located on the south shore but will travel.
2) Has anyone been able to find an ejector or ejector spring recently? Or even the Brownells tools? I haven't had any luck finding anything. It's like these old 870s just fell off the face of the earth in terms of availability of parts.
Any help is appreciated greatly!
Thanks,
Matt

return to seller

let them deal with it
That would be my last resort I think. They were already nice about the situation to let me stay 30 mins past closing. My fault I was caught up in the fast paced environment of the day and didn't vett it thoroughly enough to notice the play in the action.

@appraiser also a very valid point. I guess it was 50/50. Just me being hesitant assuming they'll say I should've done my due diligence and hang up. I don't know, maybe I will give them a call and see what they say. Worth a shot no?

Well I hope someone stumbles across this thread and happens to have one laying around then 😅 one can hope, right?! Maybe I'll try calling a gunsmith or two and see if they have any leads on a place that may have one.

Well I hope someone stumbles across this thread and happens to have one laying around then 😅 one can hope, right?! Maybe I'll try calling a gunsmith or two and see if they have any leads on a place that may have one.
Any gunsmith probably has them. One that's been around a while anyway

See the 3rd post. Message @AMV

Sorry, been an absolutely crazy morning at work, but yes I'm indeed looking for the EJECTOR not the extractor. I've already tried gunbroker (no luck), brownells (out of stock), ebay (only one I could find appeared to be marked for a 20 gauge), and every other nook and cranny of the vast internet I could find. Just so strange to me how hard it is to find something like this for a gun still in production.

I did message @AMV and am hoping he will be my savior this week. I would do the job myself as I am a machinist and very used to this kind of work but I can't find the staking tools in stock anywhere and don't know the sizes needed. If this was easy trust me I wouldn't be reaching out asking stupid questions. I've tried vetting this process as much as possible to no avail. Hence my post. The only thing I can say is I should've checked the gun over a bit more, not the end of the world on a $300 piece was just caught up in trying to get my paperwork in before the shop closed.

That being said I'm thinking of contacting rust blue gunsmithing as it's about the only guy I can find around who seems to "specialize" in shot guns and may have a part around his shop. I know Greg Derr is an amazing gunsmith (I have a .38 super on order as we speak) but know he also doesn't have the time at the moment more than likely to be messing with small projects like this. So if anyone else has any recommendations towards someone, please make your voice heard. I'm all ears! Hell if I can even find one I may try and write a program to cut some at work and have it on hand for anyone else who seems to find themselves in this predicament.

Thank you again to all who are putting effort into this. It does mean a lot.

Maybe try Mike LaRocca in Worcester. He worked on a 11-87 for me a few years ago. His website seems to be down right now though.

That would be my last resort I think. They were already nice about the situation to let me stay 30 mins past closing. My fault I was caught up in the fast paced environment of the day and didn't vett it thoroughly enough to notice the play in the action.

I know of only one place where the customers get screwed and apologize to the screwer for wasting their time..

Take that shit back to the deli ticket emporium and get your cash back, they didn't vet it either.

Back
Top Bottom