• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

87 YO woman tased while cutting dandelions.

Correct, this is it. We're expected to immediately comply with any and all demands from a cop, even contradictory commands (like "Freeze!" and "Hand over your wallet!"), even if you don't know the language or have some health or mental problem (such as unconsciousness) that may hinder your ability to immediately comply. Less than perfection here can result in immediate summary judgement.

My wife gets to defend her self on the geriatric psyc ward with basic hand skills. Imagine what would happen to her if she defended herself with a weapon against patients.
Yes anyone can be dangerous but I honestly think the entire I think or I feel threatened let’s “light them up” ways are wearing thin on the common folks

If Joe Average Citizen were to employ the same force in the same situation, would they be arrested and/or charged with anything? If so then the officers involved should be as well.

And yes, the person who made the 911 call and even explained on the call how he was abusing the 911 system by calling it when he it wasn't an emergency should definitely be charged with that.

It's obvious most of you guys believe it was an overreaction on the cops part, and that may be true. That said, you have an elderly woman who has a knife, doing whatever in a place she shouldn't be. For whatever reason she is not dropping the knife even after another officer illustrated what they wanted. I'm not saying it was the right response or the wrong response because I wasn't there but the bottom line is it is a potential safety issue for sure. Old people can still do crazy shit when armed. Glad she didn't have a heart attack! Bodycam footage would be a nice thing in this instance.

87 years old. Cutting dandelions. Looking at a LEO repeatedly throwing something on the ground thinking "¿Cuál es su problema?"

It's less an individual LEO problem than it is a police culture problem imho. Police training and culture have gone right to the razor thin edge of what's acceptable outside a banana republic.

Though you would think by now in our vibrant multicultural paradise that "Maybe The Perp Subject Victim Citizen Doesn't Speak English" would have snuck into the manual somewhere.

It's obvious most of you guys believe it was an overreaction on the cops part, and that may be true. That said, you have an elderly woman who has a knife, doing whatever in a place she shouldn't be. For whatever reason she is not dropping the knife even after another officer illustrated what they wanted. I'm not saying it was the right response or the wrong response because I wasn't there but the bottom line is it is a potential safety issue for sure. Old people can still do crazy shit when armed. Glad she didn't have a heart attack! Bodycam footage would be a nice thing in this instance.

This did not occur in Chicago.

It happened in a town where a crime spree is spitting on the sidewalk not once, but TWICE.

Jesus.

Sure, bad things can happen anywhere but come ON!

Again, I'm not passing judgment only because I wasn't there. Given the info from the article and painting that picture I myself think I would have handled things differently. But, we were not there. One thing I've learned is that people can be dangerous, armed people certainly can pose a greater risk. I'm not saying it was warranted. But if we are all going to sit here and play Monday morning quarter back then let's play both sides.

Again, I'm not passing judgment only because I wasn't there. Given the info from the article and painting that picture I myself think I would have handled things differently. But, we were not there. One thing I've learned is that people can be dangerous, armed people certainly can pose a greater risk. I'm not saying it was warranted. But if we are all going to sit here and play Monday morning quarter back then let's play both sides.
You're right, those 87 year olds can turn on a dime!

Not even the police who attacked her were alleging she posed a threat, just that she didn't do what they wanted (because she didn't understand). Just like the Alabama cop who broke the Indian guys back because he didn't understand either.

Game I'm in! Old lady has knife looks confused when I tell here to drop knife ..taze.. hell no have K9 attack and rip her face off..another win for me. So what do you think Granny got hers or what?

Back
Top Bottom