• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

84yr-old Gun Collector, Doctor, Felon Had 500 Guns in New Jersey Home

An 84-year-old man who kept nearly 500 guns, 800 pounds of gunpowder and 75,000 rounds of ammunition at his Ridgefield home pleaded guilty Tuesday to creating a community hazard.

Sherwin Raymond had rejected plea offers since his arrest in 2005 and insisted that his stash of rifles and pistols was nothing more than that of a gun enthusiast.

On Tuesday, however, after jurors were picked for his trial in state Superior Court in Hackensack, Raymond took a plea deal that requires him to serve up to five years' probation.

Instead of getting his guns back, Raymond also agreed to have a dealer sell them and turn over the proceeds.

"I feel it's a practical resolution for Mr. Raymond," Assistant Bergen County Prosecutor Marybel Ramirez said. "The state doesn't take any pleasure in prosecuting an elderly man, but if you break the law, you will be prosecuted."

Raymond admitted in court that he kept gunpowder in his garage, where static could have sparked an explosion and a fire in the neighborhood.

"I am pleased that the police did a great job and we were able to save the community from a possibly catastrophic explosion," Ramirez said.

Responding to a series of questions from Ramirez and defense lawyer Richard Gilbert, Raymond also admitted that he possessed a large-capacity magazine that could carry up to 30 bullets. It is illegal under state law to own a firearm magazine that carries more than 15 rounds.

Had he been convicted in a trial, Raymond would have faced up to 10 years in prison.

Raymond, however, was not charged with possession of the guns, most of which were not registered. There is no clear legislation or case law that requires the weapons to be registered, prosecutors said.

Despite having two prior convictions, Raymond also could not be charged with violating a law that prohibits certain convicts from possessing weapons.

Raymond, once a licensed physician, was convicted in the 1960s of performing abortions when they were illegal. He was also convicted in federal court on weapons charges in the 1970s, after which his doctor's license was revoked.

The law that prohibits some convicts from purchasing or possessing weapons only covers certain convictions, including murder, manslaughter, kidnapping, aggravated assault and sexual assault. It does not cover Raymond's convictions.

Police said they found the stash on May 31, 2005, when neighbors called 911 to alert them that Raymond's wife, Elizabeth Raymond, was wandering around disoriented. Elizabeth Raymond, 83, suffered from Alzheimer's disease, they said.

Officers took her back to her home, where they spotted the guns and gunpowder.

Raymond, whose hearing is impaired, followed the proceedings through transcripts typed onto a computer screen by a stenographer.

At one point he angered Superior Court Judge Patrick J. Roma when he said he couldn't read the words "Explosives" from a photo of a gunpowder container that was seized from his home.

After Roma threatened him with a perjury charge for not being truthful, Raymond's reading improved.

"It says 'Explosives' but I don't know what is in there," he said.

Ramirez told Roma that the gunpowder and the bullets were destroyed by court order.

Investigators have tested the guns and determined that none of them had been used in a crime, prosecutors said.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/crimeandcourts/Man_with_500_guns_dodges_a_bullet.html
Raymond is scheduled for sentencing on June 6.

An 84-year-old man who kept nearly 500 guns, 800 pounds of gunpowder and 75,000 rounds of ammunition at his Ridgefield home

Okay, that may qualify as an arsenal.

our lovely f***ing justice system, convicting innocent, law abiding citizens and disarming them, one at a time.

Sound somewhat similar to what the british did (tried) in Lexington...

our lovely f***ing justice system, convicting innocent, law abiding citizens and disarming them, one at a time.

Although I see nothing wrong with his collection of firearms, ammo and powder (maybe the storage), he did plead out.

An 84-year-old man who kept nearly 500 guns, 800 pounds of gunpowder and 75,000 rounds of ammunition at his Ridgefield home pleaded guilty Tuesday to creating a community hazard..

I'd have to agree.

Even though the "gunpowder" is almost certainly just a Class 3 Propellant, 800 pounds is about 775 pounds too much for a residential neighborhood. Same for the ammo; that's 4-5 times what would be allowed in a home.

I see nothing "wrong".
He may have had a large-capacity magazine, which is illegal in that state, but I see nothing that he did that was wrong.
They basically did a gun grab. Thankfully, he'll at least be able to keep the proceeds from the sales.
The "destruction" of powder and bullets was Bullshit too. I wouldn't believe that w/out a video.

I see nothing "wrong".
He may have had a large-capacity magazine, which is illegal in that state, but I see nothing that he did that was wrong.
They basically did a gun grab. Thankfully, he'll at least be able to keep the proceeds from the sales.
The "destruction" of powder and bullets was Bullshit too. I wouldn't believe that w/out a video.

NS... Most of that powder and rounds wound up in the homes of the Officers. [thinking] Or at the very least, a local training facility. [thinking]
I did not insinuate all officers were thieves: Once that was seized and became the property of the State, I cannot believe that LAWFULLY OWNED POWDER and AMMUNITION could not be distributed. That was my point: Did they actually destroy the ammunition?

Anyhow, I have the utmost respect to Law Enforcement Officers.

Pure Bullshit. [angry]

Last edited:
NS... Most of that powder and rounds wound up in the homes of the Officers. [thinking] Or at the very least, a local training facility. [thinking]

Pure Bullshit. [angry]

I disagree. Jersey is communist enough that they would actually destroy it.

I'm surprised in that state the guy isn't getting the chair. [shocked] The gun/weapon regs down there make someone think they're not even in the US anymore.

-Mike

800 pounds of gunpowder is enough for how many reloads???? I did quick math and it came out to over 300,000 shotgun reloads...i'd guess about twice that or more if a pistol. Unless this 84 year-old is a full-time reloader, I can't imagine why you'd need almost a half ton of gunpowder.

No, it's a small collection of arms.

Yes, I agree totally about the firearms: An awesome collection that was owned by an elderly man, who had some convictions, was lawfully allowed to keep the collection (those convictions did not ban him federally for life), and was wrongfully stripped of said firearms. However, in MA we need to apply for an Arsenal License from the local Fire Chief if you have:

13.04: Licenses, Registrations, Permits and Certificates

(1) Exemption: License, Registration, or Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, Registration, and Permit and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure:
(a) Small Arms Ammunition
1. Not more than 10,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.
2. Not more than 10,000 rounds of center fire ammunition.
3. Not more than 5,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition.
(b) Small Arms Ammunition Primers
1. Not more than 1,000 caps or other small arms primers.
(c) Smokeless Propellants
1. Not more than 16 pounds.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.
3. Not more than two pounds of such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.
(d) Black Powder
1. Not more than two pounds.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.
(e) Exempt quantities of small arms ammunition, primers, smokeless propellants and black powder shall be stored in original containers and such containers shall be stored in a locked cabinet, closet or box when not in use.
(f) Special industrial explosive devices when in quantities of less than 50 pounds net weight of explosives.

13.04: continued

(2) Storage By Permit: In accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 148 § 13, the Board hereby prescribes the following quantities of explosive materials that shall be exempt from License, and Registration, and may be kept, or stored in a building or other structure provided a permit has been obtained from the head of the local fire department;
(a) Small Arms Ammunition: Private Use. Small arms ammunition in amounts over that specified in 527 CMR 13.04(1), that do not exceed 100,000 total rounds at any one time, may be kept for private use provided none of the individual limitations listed below are exceeded.
1. 10,001 to 30,000 rounds of rim fire ammunition.
2. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of center fire ammunition not to include shotgun ammuni-tion.
3. 10,001 to 50,000 rounds of shotgun ammunition not to include center fire ammunition.
(b) Small Arms Ammunition: Commercial Use. Not to exceed 200,000 rounds in any combination.
(c) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Private Use
Not to exceed 10,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.
(d) Small Arms Ammunition Primers: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 100,000 Small Arms Ammunition Primers.
(e) Smokeless Propellants: Private Use
1. Not to exceed 48 pounds Smokeless Propellants.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store Smokeless Propellants.
3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of smokeless propellants stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such propellant shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.
(f) Smokeless Propellants: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 100 pounds smokeless propellant.
(g) Black Powder: Private Use
1. Not to exceed five pounds of black powder.
2. Persons under 18 years of age may not keep or store black powder.
3. The head of the local fire department may limit the quantity of black powder stored by permit to as low as two pounds if such black powder shall be stored in a multiple family dwelling or a building of public access.
(h) Black Powder: Commercial Use
Not to exceed 50 pounds of black powder.

I disagree. Jersey is communist enough that they would actually destroy it.

I'm surprised in that state the guy isn't getting the chair. [shocked] The gun/weapon regs down there make someone think they're not even in the US anymore.

-Mike

So, in a Communistic S*ithole race, who wins? CA, NJ, or IL, or MA for persecuting and crucifying gun owners.

Yea, I am surprised they did not put that poor SOB on the wheel.

Really? So 15K to 18K rounds is all that is allowed in your home?

I'd call that much "a start."

I think the real issue that they used was the unsafe storage of the powder. Can you imagine if the place caught on fire? They would have had to clear the neighborhood from the cookoffs alone not to mention the literal powderkeg. All in a residential neighborhood. It'd be carnage.

He would have been nailed to the wall on charges for that outcome despite his age.

Sherwin Raymond had rejected plea offers since his arrest in 2005 and insisted that his stash of rifles and pistols was nothing more than that of a gun enthusiast.

Does it take 500 to become a gun enthusiast, or is it anything up to that, or is there some number beyond that?? What stage am in at 5?

I wonder if there is any rules like that in Texas.

Though you have so say it would have been one helluva show if his house caught on fire [smile].

Nick

Does it take 500 to become a gun enthusiast, or is it anything up to that, or is there some number beyond that?? What stage am in at 5?

I think at the point of 500 one would be upgraded from enthusiast to fanatic. As for your stage with 5 guns you'd be something like an "elementary" gun owner or something to that effect. Maybe we should develop a scale for collecting.

We had prominent physician in our town who was gun collection. I doubt he ever went to the range but loved buying them and hanging them on the wall. When he died, his son-in-law asked me to come over and help him place values on the collection. He walked me into a room with six 40 gallon plastic tubs filled with handguns, all new. Last I heard the collection was sold off by a broker.

As far as his past history, the abortions had been mentioned. He also did a stint in prison for selling two FA long guns with silencers on both. I have no idea if that conviction would be a disqualifying charge for life. However in NJ a purchase permit is required for a handgun purchase along with a FID card. I'm thinking that he was not able to produce the PP for some in the collection. As both the state and municipality maintains copies as well as the state, it was probably easy to document some illegal purchases. But at 84, a letting him plead out was a win for both sides.

As for the powder and ammo, they are long gone. Evidence is usually photographed, a small amount retained and then in this case destroyed. I doubt I would trust the quality of the powder. But even the amount I reload would take years to use that amount. It really sounds like his mental competency might be in question.

I had to actually research this. It isn't a criminal charge but an administrative statute in NJ. I guess we didn't have any reloaders in our town because no one every asked for this type of permit.

For storage, transportation, and use of smokeless powder in amounts in excess of 36 pounds, but not in excess of 100 pounds and black powder in amounts in excess of 5 pounds but not in excess of 100 pounds which is used by private persons for the hand loading of small arms ammunition and which is not for resale--not less than $2 nor more than $20; where any such smokeless and black powder is in excess of 100 pounds, the fee shall be increased $20 for each additional 100 pounds, or fraction thereof.

All fees derived from the operation of this act shall be applied toward enforcement and administration costs of the Division of Workplace Standards in the Department of Labor and Workforce Development.

Hardly innocent. Serious violation of Federal firearms law.

Raymond, once a licensed physician, was convicted in the 1960s of performing abortions when they were illegal. He was also convicted in federal court on weapons charges in the 1970s, after which his doctor's license was revoked.

He also did a stint in prison for selling two FA long guns with silencers on both. I have no idea if that conviction would be a disqualifying charge for life.

Those Federal convictions would almost certainly carry a punishment of more than one year, probably 10 or 20 years, which would make him ineligible to own any post 1898 firearm, regardless of state law. And yes, that sticks for life.

That is one shoddy piece of journalism. Lots of half-baked comments, the writer is undoubtedly ignorant of guns and firearms laws.

Last edited:
That is one shoddy piece of journalism

It's the Bergen Record. You can't expect more from that newspaper. I refused to give any information when they called looking for a story. If they wanted it, I told them to come in. They had the most annoying reporters in the state.

And the uglyest

Back
Top Bottom