82cq legal in CT?

Would anyone know if the barrett 82cq is legal in CT, being a variant of the 82a1 which I believe is illegal, I wondered if the cq configuration would be banned as well?

As far as I know, the 82A1 is legal. As long as it doesn't fall into an assault rifle category based on the evil feature. There is no law banning .50 cal weapons, just certain types of ammo.

+1

Its not named => so we move onto evil features.

No bayonet lug
No collapsable stock
No threaded muzzle. (I believe the big shark gill brake is permanently affixed)

So you are good to go. If the brake is removable, silver soldering it in place before it enters the state solves your problem.

Don

As far as I know, the 82A1 is legal. As long as it doesn't fall into an assault rifle category based on the evil feature. There is no law banning .50 cal weapons, just certain types of ammo.

What types of ammo are you suggesting are banned? I thought I'm pretty thoroughly familiar with the law here and I've never come across anything about any prohibited ammo.

I read linked article and it lists the 82a1 by name in the banned assault rifle group in Ct. I am not sure but I believe this is relevant even now?
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202a.htm

And I believe I read that AP rounds in CT are a no no? If I am wrong I am open to corrections. I find these laws sometimes hard to follow, but getting it wrong is something you only get one chance at.

I found the other regulation on ap rounds. let me know if it is wrong? it only applies to 50 caliber I think.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/pub/Chap943.htm#Sec53-202%3Ci%3El%3C/i%3E.htm

Last edited:
Sec. 53-202l. Armor piercing and incendiary .50 caliber ammunition: Definition. Sale or transfer prohibited. Class D felony.
(2009 statutes).
Sec. 53-202a. Assault weapons:...Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1 - BANNED!
(2009)

I must ask. Where in CT can someone go shoot a 50 cal? I would love to own one but I can not think of any place to shoot it. I know that one could shoot a 50 cal at Blue trail, but we all know what happend there.

I would think you could shoot it at any outdoor range, that allows centerfire rifles.

Give your local range a call and ask.

Or just go. And if they don't like it, they'll let you know. There really is nothing special about a .50 BMG. Its just larger than what you're used to.

Most are single shot or bolt guns, so they're unlikely to be associated with reckless shooting.

Don

What types of ammo are you suggesting are banned? I thought I'm pretty thoroughly familiar with the law here and I've never come across anything about any prohibited ammo.

Sorry for the delayed response, see below:
CTGS 53-202l said:
(a) For the purposes of this section:

(1) "Armor piercing .50 caliber bullet" means any .50 caliber bullet that is (A) designed for the purpose of, (B) held out by the manufacturer or distributor as, or (C) generally recognized as having a specialized capability to penetrate armor or bulletproof glass, including, but not limited to, such bullets commonly designated as "M2 Armor-Piercing" or "AP", "M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary" or "API", "M20 Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer" or "APIT", "M903 Caliber .50 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator" or "SLAP", or "M962 Saboted Light Armor Penetrator Tracer" or "SLAPT".

(2) "Incendiary .50 caliber bullet" means any .50 caliber bullet that is (A) designed for the purpose of, (B) held out by the manufacturer or distributor as, or (C) generally recognized as having a specialized capability to ignite upon impact, including, but not limited to, such bullets commonly designated as "M1 Incendiary", "M23 Incendiary", "M8 Armor-Piercing Incendiary" or "API", or "M20 Armor-Piercing Incendiary Tracer" or "APIT".

(b) Any person who knowingly distributes, transports or imports into the state, keeps for sale or offers or exposes for sale or gives to any person any ammunition that is an armor piercing .50 caliber bullet or an incendiary .50 caliber bullet shall be guilty of a class D felony, except that a first-time violation of this subsection shall be a class A misdemeanor.

(c) The provisions of subsection (b) of this section shall not apply to the following:

(1) The sale of such ammunition to the Department of Public Safety, police departments, the Department of Correction or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties;

(2) A person who is the executor or administrator of an estate that includes such ammunition that is disposed of as authorized by the Probate Court; or

(3) The transfer by bequest or intestate succession of such ammunition.

(d) If the court finds that a violation of this section is not of a serious nature and that the person charged with such violation (1) will probably not offend in the future, (2) has not previously been convicted of a violation of this section, and (3) has not previously had a prosecution under this section suspended pursuant to this subsection, it may order suspension of prosecution in accordance with the provisions of subsection (h) of section 29-33.

Regarding places to shoot a .50 cal ... alot of ranges actually do not allow them due to the sound level of the gun, as well as the velocity and penetrating power of the rounds.

You don't need a commercial range.

Remember, you only need 500 ft from where you are shooting to a dwelling containing people or livestock.

I'm not saying to be a bad neighbor, but its not very difficult to find space like that, even in CT.

The 500 ft is measured from where you discharge the firearm, not from where the target it. Also, the distance pertains to a dwelling, not the property line. i.e. you could discharge 3 ft from a neighbors property provided his house was 500 ft away.

Obviously you need to apply common sense to this. But my point is that there are places to shoot just about anything.

Don
p.s. I'm waiting on a Form 4 for a M11/9 with a Lage upper. I'll probably call my local PD and tell them what we are doing prior to opening up with it at the range on my friends property.

Back
Top Bottom