• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

800x Hornady powder measure.

So I am making some 38 special, and I just so happen to have some 800x on hand without any other purpose to use it. I get exactly 6.2gr most throws, and maybe 1 or two times I get 3.0ish grains. I have heard 800x can be a pain, but it is either perfect 9/10 times or a half charge the tenth time. It is nice because it fills the case halfway, so it's easy to see the difference. Rcbs lockout die will detect a half grain difference and has been finding my issue throws. Even tried hand throwing with my measure not on the AP and same thing. Averages perfect 90 percent of the time and throws half maybe 10 percent of the time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Believe it or not, I get more consistent results with 800X and the Hornady measure when I use the rifle rotor instead of the pistol rotor.

off subject but i found the lee auto drum to work better with the "large" drum with the "plug" for smaller charges than the "small" drum???

Even the rifle rotor is giving me problems, but it is much better. Gonna save the 800x for carry ammo measured off one at a time. Can anyone recommend good powder for 38 special and 357 magnum for plinking ammo? Is there one that fills or half fills the case for obvious visual checks of over or under charging in a progressive press?

Even the rifle rotor is giving me problems, but it is much better. Gonna save the 800x for carry ammo measured off one at a time. Can anyone recommend good powder for 38 special and 357 magnum for plinking ammo? Is there one that fills or half fills the case for obvious visual checks of over or under charging in a progressive press?

Blue Dot for jacketed bullets, Trailboss for lead.

Your problem is the powder bridging in the dispensing hole. Not a whole lot you can do about that other than tapping the measure base a couple of times prior to and after every throw—bench-mounted, you simply "tap, tap" the handle on the up- and down-stroke. This then leads into mounting an adult toy mini-vibrator or aquarium pump on the hopper to get the powder to not bridge up. I am sure that a Google search will show the solutions others have come up with.

Plinking for .38 Spl and .357 Mag?
For that, I use lead bullets. In .38 Spl, it is almost always a swaged 148gn L-HBWC and very light charges of Bullseye, Red Dot, AA2, Solo 1000, or 231/HP38. These do well out to 50 yards and everyone can shoot them all day without any problem.
For light plinking loads in .357 Mag, I use 158gn cast L-SWCs and the same powders up to Unique.
For full-magnum loads I use 2400, as 296/H110 is simply not as accurate in my .357 or .44 magnums and for plinking I don't care about an additional 50-100 fps.

Back
Top Bottom