• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% receivers locally?

so pretty much what the title says. I was wondering if anyone knows of any shops that Sell 80% receivers. it seems like an item that would make more sense to pay for in cash. I would be interested in receivers for either AR, 1911, or 10 / 22. If anyone knows of a place selling them if you could let me know that would be great. Thank you. Also I am in Worcester County. And yes I have all sorts of licences, just thought it would be nice to have one kicking around.

so pretty much what the title says. I was wondering if anyone knows of any shops that Sell 80% receivers. it seems like an item that would make more sense to pay for in cash. I would be interested in receivers for either AR, 1911, or 10 / 22. If anyone knows of a place selling them if you could let me know that would be great. Thank you. Also I am in Worcester County. And yes I have all sorts of licences, just thought it would be nice to have one kicking around.

If you don't have any luck with shops I see them at gun shows regularly. There is a company from Springfield that attends shows, they sell the 80's and the jigs needed. I'm sorry but I don't recall the name.

If you don't have any luck with shops I see them at gun shows regularly. There is a company from Springfield that attends shows, they sell the 80's and the jigs needed. I'm sorry but I don't recall the name.
TR Enabling in Ludlow.They have a web store and sell AR-15 lowers.

Good tip. Any leads closer to NH? AK lowers?

A lot of pre bent Ak's 80's are imported from Poland . Others are flats . I don't know any shop locally that you could walk in and pay cash etc .
If you get a print you could just walk into most sheet metal shops and they could punch out a flat or a pre bent .

I think 80% receivers are less popular in MA simply because you still have to register it with the State, after you finish it. Kind of takes away from the idea of building your own so the Fed won't have a record.

I'd look in NH.

Now I'm looking into an AK build with a flat, not because there is no record, I'll register it in MA. Not because it will be cheaper, after the parts and equipment, none of which I have, it may be just a little more expensive. But because it will be FUN. Now if I can just decide on how to finish the receive.

I think 80% receivers are less popular in MA simply because you still have to register it with the State, after you finish it. Kind of takes away from the idea of building your own so the Fed won't have a record.

I'd look in NH.

Now I'm looking into an AK build with a flat, not because there is no record, I'll register it in MA. Not because it will be cheaper, after the parts and equipment, none of which I have, it may be just a little more expensive. But because it will be FUN. Now if I can just decide on how to finish the receive.

Bullshit! We don't have a registration system here, we merely have a transaction verification system. It will NEVER be used as a registration database!

If fa-10 of for transactions etc .
Why would you need todo one when you build a gun from scratch/80%.

You didn't transfer a fire arm.

I've been thinking about this for some bit .

There are at least 2 or 3 vendors at every MA gun show selling 80% receivers. I don't think anyone wanting to build an 80% really gives a rats behind about MA law, if they do, then they're a little confused about the whole idea. I just kinda laugh whenever someone says they're going to register an 80%. If they're dead serious then they're just weird, and everyone else likes telling people that lie so fudds won't give them a lecture or something when they ask them 900 stupid questions about the gun they just built, when they go to club Kravitz where every fudd member is concerned about "IS THAT GUN LEGAL? ZOMG IT LOOKES EEELEEEGAL!!!! BWEAAAH! (has coronary because its not an O/U)"

I don't think 80% is that popular in general because it's something you can mail order, and for most people the idea is more effort than it is worth.

-Mike

If you create a firearm, or you acquire one "say a bird drops it out of the sky into your hands" or you bought something with your C&R from "wherever" as a resident of MA, you're supposed to register this acquisition within 7 days no different than if you drove into NH and then drove back with a functional AR-15 that you just purchased from a dealer.

Whether someone actually does this or not is a whole other story, of course.... but they're "supposed to".

-Mike

It was sarcasm
you're supposed to register this acquisition within 7 days

Not registering it, just notifying them of the transaction. It's not like they keep the info forever and associate your name and vehicles with the list of guns they think you've acquired and make them available to mobile data terminals like a registrations system would! What are you, an anarchist?

It was sarcasm

Not registering it, just notifying them of the transaction. It's not like they keep the info forever and associate your name and vehicles with the list of guns they think you've acquired and make them available to mobile data terminals like a registrations system would! What are you, an anarchist?

[rofl]

-Mike

If you create a firearm, or you acquire one "say a bird drops it out of the sky into your hands" or you bought something with your C&R from "wherever" as a resident of MA, you're supposed to register this acquisition within 7 days no different than if you drove into NH and then drove back with a functional AR-15 that you just purchased from a dealer.

Whether someone actually does this or not is a whole other story, of course.... but they're "supposed to".

-Mike

But is manufacturing the same as as a acquisition lol . I know every one says you should cause it's the law . But I allways thought it was funny cause people say your not registering the firearm just telling the state a fire arm was transferred . Me I don't see the difference in that sense saying its nkt registering .

But is manufacturing the same as as a acquisition lol . I know every one says you should cause it's the law . But I allways thought it was funny cause people say your not registering the firearm just telling the state a fire arm was transferred . Me I don't see the difference in that sense saying its nkt registering .

It's all the same thing, making it, bird dropping it out of the sky, a C&R acquisition, etc... you own a gun that you didn't have before, and that gun is inside MA, and you are a resident here = you're supposed to rat yourself out to CJIS. [laugh]

The only part that makes it "not registration" in the typical sense is that MA's system is not entirely compulsory. Most of the time when someone says "gun registration" one tends to think of compulsory systems like the one in MI (im not sure it exists anymore) and the one in NY State where you can basically be in legal peril simply for JUST POSSESSING an unregistered handgun. There's no prima facie "possession based" registration legal test in MA in the law (in other words, merely possessing a gun that's not in the state's database, in and of itself, is NOT a crime ) and there's also a bunch of exceptions (move ins, etc.) and holes in the law too. (There is nothing in MGL that compels you to make sure the state has accurate records, only that the transfer, or acquisition, was reported within 7 days if it having occurred. ). Even then, all of this has a 6 year statute of limitations on it, too.

-Mike

It's all the same thing, making it, bird dropping it out of the sky, a C&R acquisition, etc... you own a gun that you didn't have before, and that gun is inside MA, and you are a resident here = you're supposed to rat yourself out to CJIS. [laugh]

The only part that makes it "not registration" in the typical sense is that MA's system is not entirely compulsory. Most of the time when someone says "gun registration" one tends to think of compulsory systems like the one in MI (im not sure it exists anymore) and the one in NY State where you can basically be in legal peril simply for JUST POSSESSING an unregistered handgun. There's no prima facie "possession based" registration legal test in MA in the law (in other words, merely possessing a gun that's not in the state's database, in and of itself, is NOT a crime ) and there's also a bunch of exceptions (move ins, etc.) and holes in the law too. (There is nothing in MGL that compels you to make sure the state has accurate records, only that the transfer, or acquisition, was reported within 7 days if it having occurred. ).
Awesome explanation.
Even then, all of this has a 6 year statute of limitations on it, too.
Right now, half of NES is now sitting, muttering: "5 years 350, 5 years, 351...."

Awesome explanation. Right now, half of NES is now sitting, muttering: "5 years 350, 5 years, 351...."

You would be amazed at the number of people that come on here blathering about some gun they bought from their uncle 10 years ago and they're all worried about it because they forgot to do paperwork on it "back in the day" or they never registered some gun they got in an inheritance 20 years ago. I'm like "You can't unring the bell, and the whole ball of BS is legally moot anyways, so just forget about it and enjoy your gun. "

-Mike

Mike - to clear one thing up though, federally, there isn't a requirement to serialize it and 'register' it, right? Unless you're planning on transferring it or selling it.

So one would wonder, how you're supposed to serialize it to MA requirements (are there MA requirements?).
I don't think you can leave Serial Number blank on a FA-10. I suppose you could do the number 0 or N/A, similar to barrel length for a stripped AR15 lower [wink] (talk about painting a target on your back).

Mike - to clear one thing up though, federally, there isn't a requirement to serialize it and 'register' it, right? Unless you're planning on transferring it or selling it.

I don't believe there is a requirement to put markings on the gun if it is for your own personal use. The caveat being that unless you serialize it, you cannot legally transfer the gun to anyone else's ownership. Not even as a gift. I am unsure of what the federal marking requirements are to get the gun to this state, I am guessing there is an engraving requirement and probably including a serial number and a manufacturer. Obviously if it transfers involving money that's a whole other ball of wax involving profit motive, blah blah blah, etc.

So one would wonder, how you're supposed to serialize it to MA requirements (are there MA requirements?).
I don't think you can leave Serial Number blank on a FA-10. I suppose you could do the number 0 ors N/A, similar to barrel length for a stripped AR15 lower [wink] (talk about painting a target on your back).

Why not? There are firearms in MA on FA-10s that have blank serial numbers. I've seen them on the consignment racks at gun shops, too. Really old shotguns and that kind of thing, made before GCA68 went into effect... are not required to have serial numbers.

IT does make me wonder what the hell someone would put on an FA-10 on a blank 80% build though that has nothing listed on it or printed on it. I think it's just gods way of asking you "Ok, you built this thing ostensibly so it couldn't be tracked, and now you're submitting this form... and yet you have nothing of any identifying value to put on this form, other than maybe the color, caliber and barrel length...? LOLWUT?" I suppose to comply with the law you could just make shit up as you go along when it comes to the model number name etc... but common sense would say "Well you should put your name in as the manufacturer" or whatever.... There really isn't any guidance under MGL though about this kind of thing.

That said, anytime I hear someone contemplate submitting an FA-10 on an 80% build, this is the first thing I think of...

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

If someone is that worried about filing an FA-10 form for a gun made from an 80% lower, there is the little detail that they don't have to do the FA-10 until the gun is "complete". For an AR-15, that's the moment you mate the upper with the lower and run the little pin through the two of them. Simply refrain from making the gun "complete". And, should you accidentally "complete" it to try out at the range, as long as no cop saw you do that, you can separate the two parts and make it still not yet completed again. No one will know unless you tell them. And, should you leave the gun in a "completed" state in your home without filing an FA-10 and it somehow gets discovered, remember that you had 7 days to send in the FA-10. How do they know how many days have gone by since the gun became "complete"? Your correct answer is you just completed the gun today so you're still good for another 6 days.

Disclaimer: IANAL, and I'm also a NH resident now, so take everything I say for entertainment purposes only.

I would just toss some thing on The reciver and make it funny. I don't want to try to explain private manufacturing laws to a cop.

My intention is to serialize the lowers I'm going to finish with "F.U.MA" followed by my kids' birth dates, since I am building them for my kids. Alternatively, they may 'stay' in NH, at which point MA can EABOD.

Are there legal guidelines for serialization? Number of characters, location, letter size, font, etc. Or can you really just use a rusty nail to scratch "0MGN0WAYYYYYY" into your lower and call it a day?

Back
Top Bottom