• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% receiver tips

Just a few things that I've picked up along the way.

A short piece of 1-1/2" painters tape is just the right size to protect the lower while performing the machining operations.

tape_zpsgrv7g3si.jpg

A 1/4" clevis pin not only works well to secure the front of the jig, it also makes a handy tool for installing the pivot pin detent and spring when the time comes.

setup3_zpsswytoogc.jpg

It is very important to keep the chips cleared out while machining. Unfortunately I was born with only two hands (both of which are kept firmly around the router) so I came up with this handy, dandy vac attachment out of a piece of 1" copper pipe and some 1" hose from Lowes.

vac2_zpsxg53tg2p.jpg

vac3_zpsnkdoa2ga.jpg

Just be sure to keep it way away from the machining area. I secured mine with a copper pipe hanger

vac4_zpssnroc4l1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

While on the subject of drilling, I have a certain order that I like to use. Imagine the holes in the drill guide numbered 1-9 top to bottom.

drillguide_zpsoj3hyyph.jpg

I like to start out with Hole number #4 which is the only "A" hole. Then I drill #8 which if using a gen ll receiver will be the only "B" depth hole.
Then set your drill to "C" depth and drill the rest of the holes in this order #1, #3, #2, #5, #7, #6. You will not be drilling #9 if you have a gen ll lower. By doing them in this order you will keep any tension equal on both sides of holes #2 & #5. I feel that it is worth consideration because those two holes are extremely close to their neighbors.

Last edited:
Just curious, do you drill/mill dry, or do you use a cutting oil or WD40 ??

Crisco is the best poor man's milling lube. 100% serious. It's what I've used for over 25 years. For home milling and drilling it's great.

I'd only go mister and specialty lubes if you're in a high production situation.

If you are tapping holes, use a quality tapping oil. Do not use anything else unless you don't care how much taps cost.

i think kerosene is recommended for aluminum, if anything

Last edited:
I've used 3-in-1 oil and Remoil, whichever is closest to the workbench at the time. Both seem to do the job, but I am not a machinist and really do not know what I am doing.

I use hangsterfer's s500cf that I grab from work. One small squirt bottle goes a long way. It is also "green" and can be washed down the drain if needed. Its hands down the best out there.

I have used WD40 and seems to work fine. One thing I found useful was to have a 5 gallon bucket of water half full. I shake the jig around in it to clean out the aluminum shavings. I could never get it cleaned out enough with the shop vac.

I have used WD40 and seems to work fine. One thing I found useful was to have a 5 gallon bucket of water half full. I shake the jig around in it to clean out the aluminum shavings. I could never get it cleaned out enough with the shop vac.

I read WD-40 is good for aluminum and has worked well for me. Since I use a mill I use a shopvac to remove the chips.

I read WD-40 is good for aluminum and has worked well for me. Since I use a mill I use a shopvac to remove the chips.

Wd-40 helps to keep the chips from sticking to the end mill when they get too hot.

If you every tried to mill aluminum to fast with out coolant the chipped will basically melt and fill the flutes up.
Also helps cutting billet stock on a bandsaw . Keeps the metal from filling the teeth up.

When I turn aluminum on the lathe I'll use coolant then on my finish cuts I'll use wd-40 and get a nearly polish finish.

Wd40 I use and get a great finish on the lathe on my final passes.

But really you need a coolant more then oil for aluminum .

Alcohol works great on aluminum - usually use denatured alcohol in a spray bottle but have been known to the grab cheap vodka from the liquor cabinet (I don't drink so it's been there for many years)

Crisco is the best poor man's milling lube. 100% serious. It's what I've used for over 25 years. For home milling and drilling it's great.

I'd only go mister and specialty lubes if you're in a high production situation.

If you are tapping holes, use a quality tapping oil. Do not use anything else unless you don't care how much taps cost.

Motor oil works fine as well if you have a misc partial quart kicking around.

Just a few things that I've picked up along the way.

A short piece of 1-1/2" painters tape is just the right size to protect the lower while performing the machining operations.

tape_zpsgrv7g3si.jpg

A 1/4" clevis pin not only works well to secure the front of the jig, it also makes a handy tool for installing the pivot pin detent and spring when the time comes.

setup3_zpsswytoogc.jpg

It is very important to keep the chips cleared out while machining. Unfortunately I was born with only two hands (both of which are kept firmly around the router) so I came up with this handy, dandy vac attachment out of a piece of 1" copper pipe and some 1" hose from Lowes.

vac2_zpsxg53tg2p.jpg

vac3_zpsnkdoa2ga.jpg

I like the vacum hose idea. But i dont think i could attach it to my craftsman shop vac. I think 1 inch diam. Is a bit small. You have a pic of the other end attached to vacum ???

Last edited:
I like the vacum hose idea. But i dont think i could attach it to my craftsman shop vac. I think 1 inch diam. Is a bit small. You have a pic of the other end attached to vacum ???

Sorry, I just now saw this request. I just used a 2" to 1" pvc adapter and a 1" hose hose barb.

IMG_0720_zpsoiu0gtux.jpg

Back
Top Bottom