80% Lowers around?

Call me a contrarian but unless you have a milling machine you probably want 6061-T6 and not 7075.

Call me a contrarian but unless you have a milling machine you probably want 6061-T6 and not 7075.

7075 is even a slight pain on a mill if you're used to 6061. I wouldnt want to dremel or router jig it. Poly is another choice. The damn poly lowers are so convenient. Trace the jig on, drill 3 holes, and demel the shit out of it for 20 minutes. I'm approaching 2k rounds on the one I have and you still need a hammer and punch to get the takedown pins in and out because the receiver fit is so tight.

You have a great product but describing routing 7075-T6 as "a piece of cake" is, um, optimistic.

Besides having done them myself, I am also the tech rep for Modulus. I spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week doing nothing but talking with people who are finishing off 80% 7075 lowers. So yeah, I know exactly how difficult doing one is.

Doing 7075-T6 lowers with a router in our jig is a piece of cake. http://www.modulusarms.com/sale-heavy-duty-universal-ar-15-80-lower-receiver-jig/

Agreed. I did 4 of them from a previous Matrix Arms group buy. They are 7075-T6 forgings and the only issues I had were not related to milling them out. I used the Modulous Arms jig you linked acheapo drill press and a variable speed Dewalt router. Milling them out was a peice of cake and it was my first time doing it.

Agreed. I did 4 of them from a previous Matrix Arms group buy.

Besides being probably the most challenging 80% lower to machine thanks to those slugs that they pressed into them, those Matrix ones were also technically illegal.

You can not go past 80% and then back up like they did. Just ask Aries lol

I happen to own a mill :)

- - - Updated - - -

Out of stock

They've been tough for them to keep in stock. If you see them buy them. I picked some up a while ago that were $29 ea but you had to buy a minimum of three.
I have found drilling the trigger and hammer pin holes a little under size gives a better fit. And yes a mill is the way to go.

To derail the thread a little bit, has anyone ever done one of the 80% 10/22 receivers? I've done a few AR lowers, but have been tossing around the idea of doing a couple of these for a while.

To derail the thread a little bit, has anyone ever done one of the 80% 10/22 receivers? I've done a few AR lowers, but have been tossing around the idea of doing a couple of these for a while.

Don't even concider it without a bridgport. Drilling pin holes is nothing but the barrel hole has no room for error. I drilled it close then finished it with a boring bar after I checked and re-squared.

Don't even concider it without a bridgport. Drilling pin holes is nothing but the barrel hole has no room for error. I drilled it close then finished it with a boring bar after I checked and re-squared.
That's what I've heard. The majority of the holes seem to be easy, but the barrel hole is what kills people off.

Back
Top Bottom