• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% lower machining dilemma..

The plus I see with any milling machine is that at that point you technically don't need any jigs. So factor that into the price of the machine and you're not spending THAT much more, especially with some of the higher end Jigs that are $200+

@akma
So from what i have seen the 80% arms jig does the same as what the OP has seen. One side being thinner than the other. Kinda lame, i would have liked to see equal sides as well. But it is much cheaper than a full mill. And you only need a router
The plus I see with any milling machine is that at that point you technically don't need any jigs. So factor that into the price of the machine and you're not spending THAT much more, especially with some of the higher end Jigs that are $200+

@Queen Bee I have seen that before but never knew if it was the jig, the lower, how it was locked up, or a combo of the above.
@84ta406 True. It would be iffy trying to mill next to the cutout plate without hitting it with the endmill. Maybe use the cutout just for scribing the layout lines. It would show if you are centered too or at least let you correct it if it's not.

@akma
So from what i have seen the 80% arms jig does the same as what the OP has seen. One side being thinner than the other. Kinda lame, i would have liked to see equal sides as well. But it is much cheaper than a full mill. And you only need a router

Hi,
I’m not sure if I missed something. Where did you get the info that using the 80% arms jigs has offset problems too? I thought it uses the buffer tube threads to center it in the jig. In doing so that should eliminate any offset issues regardless of overall thickness of the lower, no?

Hi,
I’m not sure if I missed something. Where did you get the info that using the 80% arms jigs has offset problems too? I thought it uses the buffer tube threads to center it in the jig. In doing so that should eliminate any offset issues regardless of overall thickness of the lower, no?

Picking up the pivot in front and the threads ensures it is close enough to work well (unless there was a very sloppy setup when the buffer thread was machined)

Hi,

The picture earlier in this thread of 80% Ams jig is a GEN2, the Gen1 doesn't have the buffer tube indexing.

For anyone looking for a mill. There’s what looks to be like a really clean Bridgeport and a South Bend heavy 10 Lathe on Craigslist. Looks like they’re in a showroom.

Just for clarity, I don’t know this seller or the machines condition. So please, do your due diligence. But it is a steal if they’re decent.

Back
Top Bottom