80% lower for can cannon.

I have been looking at getting a xproduct can cannon. Just wondering if I mill out a poly80 lower and slap that bad boy on if it would be legal in our great state?

If the ATF defines it as a shotgun, and MA law agrees, then no. The barrel is too short and it’s considered an SBS. Illegal in ma.

If the ATF defines it as a shotgun, and MA law agrees, then no. The barrel is too short and it’s considered an SBS. Illegal in ma.

that article is from 2015, ATF can change their minds at least twice a year, I am not sure it's what it is now.

I am also not sure how well a poly would do with that thing on, honestly, I guess it depends on heaviness of the can. Still, it's kind of a waste on an autorifle that you still technically load from the muzzle.

Go primitive ignition, then it's not even a firearm by feds.

So as long as you have a SBR lower, it's OK then??? I mean, the tax WAS paid at that point. Do they want DOUBLE taxation because one of hte uppers is considered a shotgun versus a rifle? (No, it wouldn't surprise me if they did. LOL)

What if the shroud was extended to 18"

the barrel is still over .50 so probably some other weird ATF ruling applies, you can never be sure with those faggots.

There are some exemptions for signaling and line throwing devices, may if you can attach a line to the can it magically becomes legit.

That's an old article. Can Cannon’s website currently says ATF declares it neither a firearm nor destructive device.

MA law doesn't agree on anything so good luck with that... [laugh] imho this is no different than a 37mm baton round, or a dude using a grenade launcher the launch dummy grenades I don't think any of that is regulated under mgl if there's no explosive involved in the projectile.

@Boris and @PappyM3 Didnt realize the article was that old. I’m wondering if the law only applies to putting the can upper on your own lower? If that’s the case I bet the ones sold online are permanently attached to the lower. Like @drgrant said that laws in ma seem to always differ from the federal ones so who really knows. If it were me, I’d buy it either way just because I’m so sick of this state and their dumb regulations lol. (Not that I’ve ever done that or advise doing that of course [smile])

OP, get a Yugo SKS. Adapt the cans to use the evil grenade launcher.

With the SKS you get:

1. A rifle that is not a POS.
2. A rifle that turns into a spear. Or a spear that shoots. Or a spear that launches grenades. However you want to look at it.
3. A grenade launcher.
4. An increase in testosterone.
5. Bigger arms and better sex life thanks to #4.
6. Become immune to the effects of Vodka.

@Boris and @PappyM3 Didnt realize the article was that old. I’m wondering if the law only applies to putting the can upper on your own lower? If that’s the case I bet the ones sold online are permanently attached to the lower. Like @drgrant said that laws in ma seem to always differ from the federal ones so who really knows. If it were me, I’d buy it either way just because I’m so sick of this state and their dumb regulations lol. (Not that I’ve ever done that or advise doing that of course [smile])

No, it seems that people are buying this can cannon upper and putting it on whatever lower they want. Federally it doesn’t seem to be regulated anymore.

In MA, it does appear that it may fall under the definition of “firearm”. It’s definitely not a rifle or shotgun though. And it’s not a pistol, even though there is no pistol definition in MA.

I have no idea what's legal, especially in Massachusetts; but I can tell you that the soda can launcher is a LOT of fun to shoot. I think I posted pics here a year or two ago when a guy brought one to one of our Sunday pin shoots at Ledyard.

No, it seems that people are buying this can cannon upper and putting it on whatever lower they want. Federally it doesn’t seem to be regulated anymore.

In MA, it does appear that it may fall under the definition of “firearm”. It’s definitely not a rifle or shotgun though. And it’s not a pistol, even though there is no pistol definition in MA.

Oh ok, so federally it’s no problem. This is such a weird product legally speaking I can’t figure out what it falls under in MA. On one hand, (according to Maura) you can’t buy or have a new ar15 lower. If you follow that, the can cannon would have to be put on a pre ban lower. On the other hand, ma law says it isn’t a firearm until it fires a round making the lower legal to have. The ATF says the can cannon upper isn’t regulated and ok to put on a lower, but the lower is still federally a firearm. The question is, in ma is a tennis ball/soda can a round? If no, it’s not a firearm and ok to have. It fires a blank that propels and object (whatever that may be). So what does that mean for concrete nail guns using a .22 blank? This whole thing raises some interesting questions regarding mass law.

That's an old article. Can Cannon’s website currently says ATF declares it neither a firearm nor destructive device.

THIS!

Can cannon was slightly redesigned to eliminate the ATF problem. IANAL but not a firearm so whatever lower you use should be OK.

Oh ok, so federally it’s no problem. This is such a weird product legally speaking I can’t figure out what it falls under in MA. On one hand, (according to Maura) you can’t buy or have a new ar15 lower. If you follow that, the can cannon would have to be put on a pre ban lower. On the other hand, ma law says it isn’t a firearm until it fires a round making the lower legal to have. The ATF says the can cannon upper isn’t regulated and ok to put on a lower, but the lower is still federally a firearm. The question is, in ma is a tennis ball/soda can a round? If no, it’s not a firearm and ok to have. It fires a blank that propels and object (whatever that may be). So what does that mean for concrete nail guns using a .22 blank? This whole thing raises some interesting questions regarding mass law.

Maura is completely wrong that a lower by itself is an AR-15 copy or duplicate.That part of her decree is easily disproven in MGL.

And a can canon on a lower is in no way an AR copy or duplicate.

You’re totally fine putting it on a normal lower, neck even a collapsible stock lower. It does not meet the definition of a rifle in MA. It is not a pistol in MA. And it does not meet the definitions of a rifle or pistol in federal USC. It in no way is subject to the AWB.

Maybe there’s some obscure MA law that would apply to it, but normal firearms laws do not aside from it being a “firearm” and needing an LTC when put on a lower.

Maura is completely wrong that a lower by itself is an AR-15 copy or duplicate.That part of her decree is easily disproven in MGL.

And a can canon on a lower is in no way an AR copy or duplicate.

You’re totally fine putting it on a normal lower, neck even a collapsible stock lower. It does not meet the definition of a rifle in MA. It is not a pistol in MA. And it does not meet the definitions of a rifle or pistol in federal USC. It in no way is subject to the AWB.

Oh trust me, I am not a subscriber to Maura’s enforcement order by any means. I’m just interested in where this would fall under the law. Like my previous post says I’d buy one regardless lol. I just enjoy the discussion. However, If you follow Maura’s enforcement, then technically what the OP wants to do she won’t be too happy about. That being said, I doubt anyone would ever have a problem owning one. I just enjoy pondering the legality of various items and how they get classified when it’s a grey area.

last thing, it must be something federally because of the ar15 lower. Those are a firearm (federally) regardless of what’s on top. The ATF may make an exception for this particular upper so you don’t need to SBR/SBS, but the lower still requires an FFL and the recipient to be legally allowed to own a firearm. The savior in this is that ma doesn’t consider the lower a firearm creating a hole in Maura‘s interpretation.

honestly, this is not something that you'd bring to the range every time you go and frankly some ranges would frown or ban it outright. If you get nabbed for something, can cannon will be your least worries unless you want to open carry it around.

You can dispose with all the faggotry and just get the real thing, not a firearm, would probably go through a car when mounted on something more sturdy than your shoulder, otherwise chalk rounds are fun.

Like said above, that was a 2015 article, and X Products had Can Cannon owners send back part of the launcher to be "Modified" making it legal in the ATF's eyes. There is a letter that goes with it after the mod.

Ok let's say it's not a firearm or destructive device. How about paired with a finished poly80 lower would you need to register it?
honestly, this is not something that you'd bring to the range every time you go and frankly some ranges would frown or ban it outright. If you get nabbed for something, can cannon will be your least worries unless you want to open carry it around.

You can dispose with all the faggotry and just get the real thing, not a firearm, would probably go through a car when mounted on something more sturdy than your shoulder, otherwise chalk rounds are fun.

I shoot at private owned property with a lot of land so this wouldn't be an issue for me. Most of my worries would be with the poly80 lower I've always wanted to try and finish one.

Ok let's say it's not a firearm or destructive device. How about paired with a finished poly80 lower would you need to register it?

I shoot at private owned property with a lot of land so this wouldn't be an issue for me. Most of my worries would be with the poly80 lower I've always wanted to try and finish one.

According to the feds, the can cannon is not a firearm or destructive device. The lower is, whether that be a rifle or pistol, however it was built. Can cannon + lower is just the same as if you only had a lower as far as I’m tracking. But that’s federal.

In MA, the lower alone is not a firearm(or rifle). However, when adding the can cannon upper, it may make it a “firearm” according to MA law. I say“firearm” specifically because it does not meet the definitions of a rifle or shotgun. it also shouldn’t fall under the AWB feature restrictions because it’s not a rifle or pistol. And probably not semiautomatic either.

So ultimately, yes, just build a polymer80 lower, and when it can fire that can “shot”, register it. You should be able to have a collapsible stock too.

According to the feds, the can cannon is not a firearm or destructive device. The lower is, whether that be a rifle or pistol, however it was built. Can cannon + lower is just the same as if you only had a lower as far as I’m tracking. But that’s federal.

In MA, the lower alone is not a firearm(or rifle). However, when adding the can cannon upper, it may make it a “firearm” according to MA law. I say“firearm” specifically because it does not meet the definitions of a rifle or shotgun. it also shouldn’t fall under the AWB feature restrictions because it’s not a rifle or pistol. And probably not semiautomatic either.

So ultimately, yes, just build a polymer80 lower, and when it can fire that can “shot”, register it. You should be able to have a collapsible stock too.
[/QUOT

What caliber would I register it as? Budweiser 16oz?

What caliber would I register it as? Budweiser 16oz?
Ha. Sounds good.

Seriously though, for MGL, I’m just speculating that it might be classified as a firearm in that the can may be considered a “shot”. I mean, heck, stun guns are listed in the firearms definition if they are capable of firing a shot or bullet.

Yes. Old version is a no no....new version with bullet stop is a go with the feds. Pic of the new version. I'm sure there are lots of opinions on this, but you decide.

can-cannon-kit-black__04808.1576279379.jpg

Back
Top Bottom