• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% lower ar15 i think i screwed up

Once you use a mill you will never go back. Having something to reference would be a great help.
One of the reasons I bought the milling machine I did (did a balance transfer with the card I put it on to get 18 months 0% interest) was so that I could also [easily] finish lowers. Along with lots of other things. Of course, I also spent about 1/3 again on a set of DROs for it (didn't get a $400 'accurate drill press' mill). Believe I have just four months left for that to be paid off.

IMO, if you have the space, and like to make things, get a good milling machine. I wouldn't bother with a mill, or lathe [now] that I can lift/move by myself without using mechanical advantage (shop crane at the very least). Basically, you want MASS (not the PRM) to make it rigid enough to handle what you're doing.

I should be at about an hour to finish each of the 80% lowers I have on deck. That includes accurately positioning for the side holes (drill under size, then ream to size). Using a jig that's NOT set up for nibbling with a drill.

+1 A mini mill is better than a drill press however as you said you need mass not speed.
It does take longer on a mini mill because you need to run slower to overcome the lack of mass and rigidity.
Speed ranges are important too. I picked one with six speeds. Three on a low gear rating, three on a high rating. I didn't go variable since I wanted to eliminate electronics controlling the spindle speed. I had a lathe with variable and it got screwed up in a move. Even once repaired, it was never quite right. Basically, I use the low speed range (90, 210, 340) for steel and the high (670, 1180, 1970) for aluminum. Which I pick depends on several factors.
BTW, power feed on the longitudinal is the balls. On knee mills, a table Z power feed also helps out in a big way. My mill came with the longitudinal power feed. :D

Unfortunately I'm not financially sound enough for one

There is always something on Craigslist. You have to look every day, and be the first one to make contact for the too good to be true deals.
Tooling is a whole nother expense. I would be willing to donate enough tooling to get you started.
A caliper is a must whether you have a mill or not!

There is always something on Craigslist. You have to look every day, and be the first one to make contact for the too good to be true deals.
Tooling is a whole nother expense. I would be willing to donate enough tooling to get you started.
A caliper is a must whether you have a mill or not!
I do have a caliper, but its with all my tools in storage.
I snagged another on amazon as well.

I do have tools, I was a mechanic for 12 years.
Just not mills and such like that .

We all loved to have mills and nice tooling BUT its also satisfying pulling it off with something less than a mill.
One of my friends who is mechanically defected pulled off a 80% with a cheap drill and a cheap vise. He did how ever get some nice sharp drill bits.

screwing up is easy , finding a fix or way out of the mess is where it gets fun

Let me buy this $1,000 mill to make a $49 part. ;).

If you have a mill for other reasons, then it's gravy. But most guys do NOT have a mill. Or access to one. Unless you are planning on arming your neighborhood, buying any mill for AR finishing is financially wasteful.

easy jig gen 2 or 3 with a router is a whole lot easier...

FYI, they discontinued the gen 2, they only have the gen 3 now, unless you can find one used. Too bad I bought the tool kit for the gen 2 while waiting for my gen 2 jig on backorder only to have it cancelled since they are discontinued. (the tool kit for gen 2 will not work on the gen 3) So I now have a 5D Tactical jig I've been waiting 4 weeks with probably another 4 to go, Figured if I'm gonna have to wait I'd at least spend the money on a local business. If you have an easy jig gen 2 and need a new tool kit I've got one.

Did you call them and ask them if you could exchange the toolkit for the current gen?

If you have a mill for other reasons, then it's gravy. But most guys do NOT have a mill. Or access to one. Unless you are planning on arming your neighborhood, buying any mill for AR finishing is financially wasteful.

You're fiscally correct.

I have a lot of wrenches and associated hand tools because I've owned and worked on motorcycles and cars for forty years.
I have power tools because I've worked as a handyman/carpenter/re-modeler.

I have a drill press and a small mill because they were my father's, (and the associated bits, calipers, micrometers).

I'm at a stage in my life where I have disposable income and choice in how I dispose of it.
I have a Defense Distributed Ghost Gunner because I wanted one.
I'm slightly OCD and the lowers I'd finished on my mill weren't as good as I'd like; now they are.

I can afford to be financially wasteful, to a degree - and the reason I work is so that I can have the things I want. IMG_1528.JPG

Believe me if I had $1000+ To play with I might by a mill to finish out a lower. I dont have enough intetest in ARs to do a 80% lower.
I spent silly money tooling up to install a M1 garand barrel myself.

You're fiscally correct.

I have a lot of wrenches and associated hand tools because I've owned and worked on motorcycles and cars for forty years.
I have power tools because I've worked as a handyman/carpenter/re-modeler.

I have a drill press and a small mill because they were my father's, (and the associated bits, calipers, micrometers).

I'm at a stage in my life where I have disposable income and choice in how I dispose of it.
I have a Defense Distributed Ghost Gunner because I wanted one.
I'm slightly OCD and the lowers I'd finished on my mill weren't as good as I'd like; now they are.

I can afford to be financially wasteful, to a degree - and the reason I work is so that I can have the things I want.View attachment 395206
[bow]

Did you call them and ask them if you could exchange the toolkit for the current gen?
I had ordered the jig from Brownell’s as I get my C&R discount and they don’t list the gen 3 jig as option. I ordered the tool kit direct from 80% arms. They did say that I could ship back the gen 2 tool kit for a gen 3 but that was 3+ weeks after I asked, and being an impatient person I had already ordered a new jig and tool tool kit from 5D tactical by the time they replied.

Hey. I’m just trying to stop someone from making a huge mistake.

Back in1999, I bought all this stuff for Y2K. Had I had a brain, I wouldn’t have. Would have saved me $1,000 or more. Stupid stuff that really made no sense for preparedness but people were talking about it online.

Yes but having the ability to do it yourself and learning a new skill has its rewards too. It's not for everyone but well worth the investment to those who know the true intrinsic value.

Oh I concur. But most guys are gonna do it JUST for the AR. And they'll finish one or two lowers and be done.

The whole removing-metal thing scares the tar out of me. Something about sharp edges and slicing my body to ribbons. LOL

Oh I concur. But most guys are gonna do it JUST for the AR. And they'll finish one or two lowers and be done.

The whole removing-metal thing scares the tar out of me. Something about sharp edges and slicing my body to ribbons. LOL
Man, I have made comps, charging handles, lightened bolt carriers, turned down barrels, made scope mounts, custom parts for reloading equipment, and that's just the gun related stuff.
Your imagination is the only limitation on what you can make.
Its a whole nuther side hobby.

Back
Top Bottom