80% help

Can you provide any sort of link/reference to that please? A friend of mine is collecting parts now and we're planning on him completing his 80% on my milling machine. It's been my understanding that so long as he does all of the work, (no nod/wink here - I'm serious), that we were okay with the ATF. We figured that he's mechanically inclined enough that I can teach him the basics on a block of scrap and then supervise him while he spins the dials, and so long as I'm not doing any of the work - that we were good to go.

The problem is everyone interprets something they read on the interwebs.

The only way to KNOW is to write a letter to ATF asking for a written response as to whether what you specifically want to do is legal.

They're perfectly happy to put you in jail if you don't follow every exacting little rule, but they will actually work WITH you to figure out how to stay legal.

The problem is, of course now they know exactly what you're doing and many people are allergic to that. Including me. I'm outlining, not justifying their position. Still, given the downside, I tend to stay on the safe path, galling as it sometimes is.

Can you provide any sort of link/reference to that please? A friend of mine is collecting parts now and we're planning on him completing his 80% on my milling machine. It's been my understanding that so long as he does all of the work, (no nod/wink here - I'm serious), that we were okay with the ATF. We figured that he's mechanically inclined enough that I can teach him the basics on a block of scrap and then supervise him while he spins the dials, and so long as I'm not doing any of the work - that we were good to go.

I will find you a link to where I was reading that. The BATFE began tightening its requirements in response to "build parties" and the "crowdsourcing" of tools. Apparently in CA it was this thing where guys would show up at a location with a stripped lower and secure it in a CNC machine and press the "Run" button and walk out with a machined lower.

ETA: I need to withdraw the assertion as unfounded. After carefully reviewing the 2015 ATF opinion, I'm inclined to think that my assertion inre: private individuals loaning tooling was wrong because the scenario we are discussing does not involve COMMERCE of any kind, you are just letting a friend use your privately owned/non-commercial (correct?) equipment free of charge or barter--but the opinion that I just read was published in 2015, and other (Obama era) opinions have been released later which have been a lot more strict in their interpretations. I recall having read in several places that the "private individual for personal use" classification gets voided by using another person's space and equipment--especially if the equipment serves a commercial enterprise--but I can't source the legal basis for it regarding non-commercial association.

Where it gets tricky is that while you are not involved in COMMERCE, you (the individual) ARE involved on MANUFACTURING, albeit for personal use.

Anyway--I'll remove my post.

Here are some good links on the legalities of 80% receivers:

The Legal Brief: Ultimate Guide to 80% Lowers (Go to 6:40 inre: loaning tools)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXRj6KydI6o

Another good link:
ATF Answers Questions on 80 percent lower receivers

All the best.

Last edited:
This is probably a stupid question but how could I learn to use a mill? If ever has the oppuotunity, I’d probably look at it like a millennial looks at a job application.

This is probably a stupid question but how could I learn to use a mill? If ever has the oppuotunity, I’d probably look at it like a millennial looks at a job application.

Not stupid. I have the same question. I have no desire to become a machinist but I DO like to know how to do things.

Grizzly sells a knee mill in the $1.2k range that is basic yet worlds beyond the Hazard Freight options.

Back
Top Bottom