• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% ar milling

I've destroyed 2 lowers already. If anyone in central mass has some time and some milling equipment pm me.

It would be much appreciated

Drill presses are horrible for what you are doing. Even if your using one of those X-Y milling vises a drill press is a poor idea.
If you are going to drill the pin/selector holes with a drill press make sure your table is zeroed out or they will be crooked.
Why not get a Modulus Arms jig?

Last edited:
Drill presses are horrible for what you are doing. Even if your using one of those X-Y milling vises a drill press is a poor idea.
If you are going to drill the pin/selector holes with a drill press make sure your table is zeroed out or they will be crooked.
Why not get a Modulus Arms jig?

Drill press works fine. As long as you have a decent press.... And yes you have to zero the table before you do anything always...

I'm using a ridgid floor stand drill press. There just seems to be some deflection between all the components that cause the troubles.
I did get some PM's from people willing to help so hopefully I can get a few of these made.

Thanks everyone.

dude, you are building AR, the toughest choice should be what color you are building in and what fruity cock-tail will you drink while making it.

fg_02.jpg~original

If it's the Tactical Machine jig, I found they sell a router tooling kit for$35.
http://www.tacticalmachining.com/80-jigs/80-ar15-jigs/80-ar-15-router-tooling-html.html

Yeah, now all they need is a jig that will work with a router.

- - - Updated - - -

dude, you are building AR, the toughest choice should be what color you are building in and what fruity cock-tail will you drink while making it.

fg_02.jpg~original

I saw that thread on another forum. Have you been stepping out on us comrade? lol

Drill press works fine. As long as you have a decent press....

I guess that depends on your definition of fine. Have you seen one? it can be done but it ain't pretty. I take too much pride in my work to go that route.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using a ridgid floor stand drill press. There just seems to be some deflection between all the components that cause the troubles.

Exactly. They are not designed for lateral loading, strictly vertical.

Yeah, now all they need is a jig that will work with a router.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw that thread on another forum. Have you been stepping out on us comrade? lol

arfcom just seemed logical and non-regional. Everyone needs more AR freedom across the states. [laugh]

I was wondering how that would work.

It wouldn't surprise me if the had one on the drawing board. The router based jig has been the fastest growing segment over the last year.
I understand that there is already a third one on the market. I hear that it is some mickey mouse affair that is really just a regular jig with some kind of spacers

Any pics of the carnage?

I'd be interested to see what you're breaking... maybe some folks could give you some pointers based on the pics?

Back
Top Bottom