• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% AR Lower build

and it costs $600, probably more now. I'm sure 80% have gone up in price too.

I mean, if you were able to organize a group buy where the cost for the jig and tools is split up, it's worth it, but most people don't care to bother putting money down for something that isn't a guarantee.
I used the Easy Jig 3, the entire setup was ~$300, with a bit set thrown in. It's not about cost, ready to go lowers have always been cheaper (especially if you bought blemished ones). For me, it's now knowing my AR better than I know my wife. If something breaks, it's not a mystery. It's a couple of pins, replace it, and get back to shooting.

I have about five 80% lowers that have not been Milled yet.
Two Billet and Three Forged. I have assisted or been present
during the Milling of about 75 Lowers.

I am getting my Weekends back after the Woman at work quit last Sunday.
So know I can come in on my days off to work on my Baby Bridgeport Clone.

Golddiggie and I have the process down to around 1 hour to process a lower.
With a new person that can go longer depending on their abilities.

Malodave

This finally came in after 8 months.

Can you edit the ‘G-code’ with a text editor for example? If so, it’s easy to extend some milling, make some deeper.........

I’ve never played with this machine, but I used to make circuit boards (the green things, not assembling components) and our CNC machines ran on a version G-code. X-Y-Z axis and some odd commands for arcs.

Watch the machine run, make a note of each change in direction (that would be a line of code) just sayin’ could be fun

Can you edit the ‘G-code’ with a text editor for example? If so, it’s easy to extend some milling, make some deeper.........

I’ve never played with this machine, but I used to make circuit boards (the green things, not assembling components) and our CNC machines ran on a version G-code. X-Y-Z axis and some odd commands for arcs.

Watch the machine run, make a note of each change in direction (that would be a line of code) just sayin’ could be fun
Yes and no. It really is a CNC mill. The interface isn't quite the same as anything in industry.
I have a GG1 that I need to learn to drive, just been too lazy to really poke at it

You can modify the code, I dont know how far but I know from reading comments in the GG group people do.

Last edited:
So is it as easy as "you push one button, and out comes a finished lower"? Or there is some settings tinkering beforehand?
There are step by step instructions in the software. Showing you how to place the lower in the jig and where to lock it down in the mill. I am going to have my 7 year old daughter mill one to show everyone how easy it is, and to make the Karens on FB heads explode when they see her holding the finished product.

There are step by step instructions in the software. Showing you how to place the lower in the jig and where to lock it down in the mill. I am going to have my 7 year old daughter mill one to show everyone how easy it is, and to make the Karens on FB heads explode when they see her holding the finished product.

that is cool but a 5D jig with a press and hand router will allow for perfect completion of a lower so I can’t see using a mill and software to accomplish the same task. If the mill is starting with a block of aluminum it makes sense but from an 80% there’s relatively little left to complete. Not trying to piss on your picnic. Agree Karen head explosion makes it all worthwhile.

that is cool but a 5D jig with a press and hand router will allow for perfect completion of a lower so I can’t see using a mill and software to accomplish the same task. If the mill is starting with a block of aluminum it makes sense but from an 80% there’s relatively little left to complete. Not trying to piss on your picnic. Agree Karen head explosion makes it all worthwhile.
I dont have time for that shit. I plan on making hundreds of lowers. [smile]

I've completed 80% lowers using a jig and using a GG2. It's a lot easier with the GG, and gave me a commercial looking product when I was done as compared to the somewhat "homemade" look of the ones done using a jig.

I use a jig and drill press for the trigger and safety holes because their alignment is fairly critical.

Couple other benefits to the GG - you can engrave lowers with it and it's not limited to AR-15's. You can do AR-10's, 1911's and the one Derek just got, (the GG3), you can do AK's. There's an active user/developer community and there's probably more in the pipeline.

I'm looking for a jig to borrow for a couple of days... Any interest, or know anyone who might have one to lend?
I'd be leery of loaning mine out. If I knew you well, maybe. My BIL didn't drill straight and muffed up one of the sides of my jig. It's part of the deal though, technically you have to do the work yourself. That's my understanding, not a lawyer, don't have a dog, but still don't want people showing up to my house. I wouldn't have a fun time in prison.

I have 5d jig I would let go of someone wants it. Never used. Bought cuz panic buy, and I don’t want it.

Back
Top Bottom