80% AR build in MA

Couldn't one just get an 80% lower, complete it and make sure you have a fixed stock and a non-threaded barrel to make it technically not an "assault rifle" in the state of Mass? I'm probably wrong but I'm sure someone here will school me.

Under the word of law, yes.

Under Mad Mauras bullshit non-law edicts, no.

Currently the best option is a pinned 10rd magazine. Make sure it's in place before you install the upper.

Under the word of law, yes.

Under Mad Mauras bullshit non-law edicts, no.

Currently the best option is a pinned 10rd magazine. Make sure it's in place before you install the upper.

Or comply with the law, ignore her bullshit edict, and go on with your life. It's all about risk tolerance.

Also, you could build it as a bolt action. AWB doesn't apply to either non-semiautomatic or non-detachable magazine firearms. Either way lets you have all the evil features, too.

Or comply with the law, ignore her bullshit edict, and go on with your life. It's all about risk tolerance.

Also, you could build it as a bolt action. AWB doesn't apply to either non-semiautomatic or non-detachable magazine firearms. Either way lets you have all the evil features, too.

+1

Bolt, lever, or pump gets around the ban, and the bullshit edict.

Having scratch built many ARs since the ban, I'm of the mindset to use a virgin lower for a non-semi build, and an 80% for a pinned mag build. I says this because if you add a pinned mag to an existing lower, I could see a prosecutor saying it was "modified" and therefore may be "readily modified' back. But that's just me.. We're all up the creek regardless, felons-in-waiting.

Yes you can build whatever you want, just be prepared to build your legal warchest too (just in case)

If a home hobbiest pins the magazine to an 80% lower, does this make the firearm legal in Mass?

IANAL, but I would say yes. You've created a fixed magazine rifle now. An easier way is to just buy one already fixed. There are multiple dealers already selling several brands of fixed magazine lowers. Some are even manufactured locally by our FFL 07-holding NESers.

You can see some examples in the fixed-mag pistol thread here.

If a home hobbiest pins the magazine to an 80% lower, does this make the firearm legal in Mass?
I believe it needs to be “manufactured” that way, pinned, if it is then it’s deemed okay. Doing it at home will not fly, as it was altered, not manufactured.

If a lower is “manufactured” to accept a detachable magazine then it’s no good according to the AWB.

Incidentally I purchased one of the fixed mag lowers from a manufacturer here in MA, they only refer to it as MA OK, not legal, if that tells you anything. I don’t think anyone knows for sure.

I believe it needs to be “manufactured” that way, pinned, if it is then it’s deemed okay. Doing it at home will not fly, as it was altered, not manufactured.

If a lower is “manufactured” to accept a detachable magazine then it’s no good according to the AWB.

Incidentally I purchased one of the fixed mag lowers from a manufacturer here in MA, they only refer to it as MA OK, not legal, if that tells you anything. I don’t think anyone knows for sure.

IANAL, but if it's an 80%, you are absolutely manufacturing it as it's not a firearm when it shows up at your doorstep. Pinning would be part of the manufacturing process.

Buying a completed lower and pinning the magazine is questionable, but since that also is not a firearm under MA law, I don't see how it can violate MGL. This is where your own risk tolerance comes in. If you can find a dealer who will transfer a completed lower for you, then buy or do not buy as you see fit. Keep in mind those same lowers can be manufactured into manual action firearms as well.

As for fixed mag lowers being "MA OK," take a look at Dark Storm Industries DS-15 fixed magazine lowers. They aren't drilled for a mag catch, so if you need the extra assurance that might just make you sleep better at night.

IANAL, but if it's an 80%, you are absolutely manufacturing it as it's not a firearm when it shows up at your doorstep. Pinning would be part of the manufacturing process.

I agree, but without an FFL are you allowed to manufacture, legally? To the posters original question
would pinning at home be legal? IANAL either but I think not.

As for fixed mag lowers being "MA OK," take a look at Dark Storm Industries DS-15 fixed magazine lowers. They aren't drilled for a mag catch, so if you need the extra assurance that might just make you sleep better at night.

Lol, I’m sleeping just fine. This is interesting though, I wasn’t aware of this option from DSI, I’ll have to take a look.

I agree, but without an FFL are you allowed to manufacture, legally? To the posters original question
would pinning at home be legal? IANAL either but I think not.

Lol, I’m sleeping just fine. This is interesting though, I wasn’t aware of this option from DSI, I’ll have to take a look.

According to the ATF a license is not required to make a firearm solely for personal use.

Does an individual need a license to make a firearm for personal use? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

Is there a law in Mass that prevents people from legally building their own firearms?

OP going to jail!

Just put a bolt action upper on it and call it a day. If you happen to have another fully built ready to roll mil-spec upper all by it's lonesome in the safe beside it, well no law is broken until you mate the two.

OP going to jail!

Just put a bolt action upper on it and call it a day. If you happen to have another fully built ready to roll mil-spec upper all by it's lonesome in the safe beside it, well no law is broken until you mate the two.

If you are referring to me. I bought a Mass Compliant lower.

OP going to jail!

Seems to be easy to convert the upper, by removing the gas block and tube.
So the question is, could I legally complete an 80% lower for use on a bolt action upper?

;)

Last edited:
Assault weapons are also defined as:

1. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any two of the following:
    • A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    • A folding or telescoping stock.
    • A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    • A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
    • A bayonet lug.

As long as you keep it to only 1 of the above it is not considered an assualt rifle. Check with you local police to make sure which is what I did.

I am doing a build but I need to find a drill press and a jig. Anyone know where I can find or borrow either?

^QFT!

one would have to be using some hard drugs to "check with local police" regarding their rifle's legality. that might be the worst idea i have heard in years.
Got stopped by MSP once with Garands in the back of a wagon and he asked me, “OK, what are the transport rules for these?”

Got stopped by MSP once with Garands in the back of a wagon and he asked me, “OK, what are the transport rules for these?”
Sounds about right. I support our men and women in blue. But I find we are more knowledgeable when it come to firearm laws, and we are also better shots ;)

Assault weapons are also defined as:

1. A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any two of the following:
    • A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
    • A folding or telescoping stock.
    • A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
    • A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
    • A bayonet lug.

As long as you keep it to only 1 of the above it is not considered an assualt rifle.

It was just that simple pre 7/20/2016 Not so anymore. I suggest you do a little more research to bring you up to speed on current AG interpretations of the law.

It was just that simple pre 7/20/2016 Not so anymore. I suggest you do a little more research to bring you up to speed on current AG interpretations of the law.
Or if you don't care about the AGs made up interpretation, you can just follow the actual laws instead. It all depends on your risk tolerance.

Back
Top Bottom