80% AR build in MA

Watched a few YouTube videos and was amazed to discover this is possible. My gun safety class instructor said he was in the middle of an 80% AR build and I had no clue what he was talking about. I am pretty confident in my router skills and am excited to learn new things and love building.

My question is, with all the new AG interpretations, is an 80% build still legal? Do I have to register after it can fire? Can I go to the range it I have my Ltc? Did a lot of searching, still confused.

According to the Attorney General, all ARs are assault weapons and therefore illegal. Also since it would be built after 7/20/2016, the AG has not pinky-sworn to not prosecute you for it. Yes you are supposed to file an E-FA 10 when you complete the rifle, which is essentially you confessing to building an assault weapon. Why would an 80% build be legal when the finished product is clearly illegal according to the AG? Why would you do an 80% lower build in any State if you were going to register it?

Posting this question as your first post is highly suspicious.

Posting this question as your first post is highly suspicious.

Well when you put it like that I guess it is a silly question. From what I read you didn't have to register if you built it yourself, but I guess this varies by state. Forgive me, I am a noob. I am waiting for my Ltc in the mail and am doing nothing but research in my spare time. I saw a few videos and I love building things, I may have jumped the gun a bit ;). Thanks for the answers!

Well when you put it like that I guess it is a silly question. From what I read you didn't have to register if you built it yourself, but I guess this varies by state. Forgive me, I am a noob. I am waiting for my Ltc in the mail and am doing nothing but research in my spare time. I saw a few videos and I love building things, I may have jumped the gun a bit ;). Thanks for the answers!

You have to "register" it with the state (MA law) within 7 days of it being able to go "bang"

But since Healey has declared that even lower receivers are "assault weapons" because they can interchange parts with M-16s, (no joke, that's her logic) as soon as you drill that first hole in that 80% lower it's then an 82% lower, and considered a firearm by the ATF, and therefore a stripped lower by the state, and therefore an assault weapon, and therefore a felony to possess.

You have to "register" it with the state (MA law) within 7 days of it being able to go "bang"

But since Healey has declared that even lower receivers are "assault weapons" because they can interchange parts with M-16s, (no joke, that's her logic) as soon as you drill that first hole in that 80% lower it's then an 82% lower, and considered a firearm by the ATF, and therefore a stripped lower by the state, and therefore an assault weapon, and therefore a felony to possess.

Well that's good to know, I guess all the videos I watched did not take our AGs new "interpretations" into account. Thanks for all the quick responses. This board has been very helpful for a newbie like myself.

Really dont know what I'm being accused of here, just an honest question. There is a lot of contradicting information out there.

Nothing personal, bad timing, sensitive subject, new member, plus your choice of words or the way you formulated your questions, they read like someone who is not familiar with guns and is just repeating stuff inaccuracy's and all.

Dean

Ryguy you should go Green (become a member) and read a lot before posting. All you'll find around here are upstanding, law abiding, and responsible gun owners.

The laws are pretty clear in terms of what the state expects of you.

Thanks for clearing it up. I am pretty new to guns, shot at a few ranges as a kid, but am really getting back into it now. Apparently I should do some more reading before posting, I honestly didn't mean to rustle any feathers. I definitely want to do everything by the books, hence me asking questions. I am a single father and just wanted to be able to protect my family and get my licence before more bans and restrictions passed in MA. I plan on going to the range a lot and taking more classes. I guess you tube can be misleading sometimes.[thinking]

I guess you tube can be misleading sometimes.

What you saw on you tube is legit in all but a handful of states, even OK in MA right up until 7/20. 80% building is still alive and well in 45 or so states. It is even alive and well in MA except for AR/AK etc. There are lot of folks doing 10-22 and 1911 80% builds.

Oh, and the best part is that the determination that stripped lowers = firearms in MA is codified within her webpage's FAQ! That's what passes for law these days in MA, a webpage FAQ. We are a banana republic. Prior to the FAQ legislation, a firearm had be capable of firing a shot.

Soooo....is an FAQ = the law? It's up to you.

Oh, and Hi Maura! [wave][kiss]. Did you program the "Support For the Ban" tab or did the other internet support guy do it?

Really dont know what I'm being accused of here, just an honest question. There is a lot of contradicting information out there.

Protip: Nobody with a brain registers an 80% lower. Ever. That kinda defeats THE ENTIRE PURPOSE of buying an 80% lower. [rofl] If you want it to be legal, "build it and keep it out of MA".

-Mike

What you saw on you tube is legit in all but a handful of states, even OK in MA right up until 7/20. 80% building is still alive and well in 45 or so states. It is even alive and well in MA except for AR/AK etc. There are lot of folks doing 10-22 and 1911 80% builds.

There are people probably building AR's off 80%'s in MA right now, as I type this, whether the AG or anyone else likes it or not. I have no use for the things (huge waste of time) but I can see why others do.

-Mike

Watched a few YouTube videos and was amazed to discover this is possible.

Oh, and for what it's worth, that's why this entire thing is stupidity at it's best. At some point it's just a hunk of ****ing aluminum. The line has got to be somewhere between a raw material and finished product. You drill holes in it, put some springs and roll pins in it and voila, you've got a babykilling weapon of war. Congrats, you a felon.

Yeah, from the small amount of research I've done, the laws seem to be anything but clear. Maybe sarcasm?

The laws are pretty clear in terms of what the state expects of you.
[rofl] [laugh2] [rofl]

right?

I don't think there's a person in this state who can say for sure which detachable mag. semi-auto's are legal to own - unless they are pre-94 and you already own them.
And even at that, as far as I know, the jury is still out if you're allowed to buy a pre-94 at this time. <- please someone correct me it i'm wrong.

hope that helps the OP understand the situation at the current time.

There are people probably building AR's off 80%'s in MA right now, as I type this, whether the AG or anyone else likes it or not. I have no use for the things (huge waste of time) but I can see why others do.

-Mike

How long do you think it takes to finish a lower?? To me, the short amount of time it takes to complete one is well worth it. Of course, I'm not using a trim router (or drill press setup), but a real milling machine, to do this.

How long do you think it takes to finish a lower?? To me, the short amount of time it takes to complete one is well worth it. Of course, I'm not using a trim router (or drill press setup), but a real milling machine, to do this.

Whatever it is, it's still longer than I even want to think about doing it. I have friends that have all that shit too, and I still don't want to do it. I also have two normal lowers waiting in my safe that have been there for awhile. One of them has been sitting there since around sandy hook time or so.

-Mike

Last edited:
When they WERE legal to build, you DID have to EFA10 them. In the serial number field, put N/A.

Now that ALL ARs are illegal, you can't build one unless you EFA10'd it within seven days of 7/20.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Couldn't one just get an 80% lower, complete it and make sure you have a fixed stock and a non-threaded barrel to make it technically not an "assault rifle" in the state of Mass? I'm probably wrong but I'm sure someone here will school me.

Back
Top Bottom