• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% AR build/build party in Nahsua, NH --LAST CALL--

Try sodium bisulfate next time... Looks like I'll still need to treat the solution with baking soda before disposing of it. But that should be pretty easy. There were no acrid fumes from the sodium bisulfate solution. I plan on doing a test with some 6061 aluminum soon, to see what I get without any dye added (for color).

the build is on hold for a bit, but otherwise the lower is completed

At least your lower is machined and treated so you don't have to wait on that. I need to machine the rest of my lowers still (thinking about selling one of them before machining it). Knowing that I don't need to depend on anyone else to make it ready for parts is priceless. I bet I can get several anodizing sessions out of each solution mix. I do need to get to HD and get some more PH Down though. Want to have more on hand for later. Especially since it's a pool chemical and they probably won't have it on the shelves during the winter months.

what does Ph down do? neutralize the acid? you can do it with baking soda it may just take a lot of it to neutralize a bucket of sodium bisulfate. Or you can use lye (KOH). its also a strong base.

what does Ph down do? neutralize the acid? you can do it with baking soda it may just take a lot of it to neutralize a bucket of sodium bisulfate. Or you can use lye (KOH). its also a strong base.

PH Down is an acid (sodium bisulfate is the active ingredient, over 90% concentration). It's used in pools and such. I have lye (sodium hydroxide, or NaOH) for the etch bath. I might just add some more water to the anodizing bath solution and pour it down the drain. [rofl2] Although it might be a good idea to hit it with some baking soda first. I think I have some of that on hand. Amazing what you can easily get for chemicals either from local stores or online these days. I'll probably be ordering up some more NaOH soon. I got 2# of it last time. Got around half of it left still.

Decided to add the trigger guard to the lower. Got the barrel and muzzle device ordered and they should be here tomorrow (Friday)... Since the order is coming via USPS, I'll be surprised if it shows up before the EOD on Saturday.

One step closer:
View attachment 78893

How long is the barrel? That rig you have there would look pretty slick if they were contained within the handguard. Nice looking pistol either way and the finish looks nice to me, especially for a homemade chemistry set.

Going with a 10.5" barrel (9" handguard)... The end of the muzzle device should only be a couple of inches beyond the end of the hand guard. The muzzle brake doesn't work as well when it's covered up by the handguard. Even partially covered impacts its performance.

Once I have the barrel installed, I'll post up another picture. I also changed the dust cover for the correct one (Dave knows what I'm talking about). I'll show that next time. [smile]

Putting out a call to all the burly types that came up to process their lowers at my place. I'm working on lining up a mill of my own (old model, but should be up to the tasks I will put it to). Since it's a floor model (about 6.5' tall) I'll be looking for some assistance to get it into the basement. I'm already working with another fellow NES member to get it up here (on a trailer). But, we'll need help getting the sections into the basement and then assembled.

IF I get this here, then I can start working on getting DRO's for it, and people will be able to make more stripper dust.

IF you can help out, and have some free weekends this month, PM me.

Back
Top Bottom