• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

80% AR build/build party in Greater Boston area

I've been anxiously awaiting a Boston area build party as a result of getting in on Winter's lower GB... seems a lot of us interested in the area and no thread yet. Here's a thread to hopefully get a local build going this spring. I'm just here to coordinate and have little to offer in way of machinery or hosting... a few bits/etc and probably the same amount of web-knowledge as others.

With any luck maybe we can convince some of the veterans to come point laugh at us with tips if we feed them a beer.

Who's interested (again, even if you want to just watch and give us recommendations us newbies would appreciate it)?
What do you have to offer (see the other threads for needs)?
Who's got space/machines to host?

-Peace

I am not seeing much for build parties. I am willing to drive a couple of hours and I have a jig. The two build parties so far have no tooling or expertise that I can see.

I have a heavy horizontal mill that uses Brown & Sharpe #10 taper and several adapters. Also have a floor mount drill press and compressed air. Recently got the mill going and ordered a lot of end mills.

My idea is to offer a deal like Ares does, only cheaper. I will get the system going using my own tools and 80% lowers. Then I will offer the use of my equipment for a fee of $50, which will include help from me. A second lower will be $35 without help. Of course help will be in the form of instruction. All actual cutting must be done by the owner of the lower.

Ares charges $65 per lower for a similar service. The gear is not cheap so I am looking for a way to have it pay for itself. I am in NH, an hour and a half North of Boston.

PM me if interested.

As I posted in the general 80% build party thread, i can't host but I am willing to do what needs to be done to get this rolling

I can bring some food or kick in cash or something, I have literally nothing to offer in terms of experience or tools though.

I'll be out of town for the next week and a half, so any idea when we're going to do this thing?

I've been working people outside NES website and I think we may (80% sure now) have a location in the Boston area outfitted with the major items we will need. Could still use some veteran experience around the table if nothing more to drink and laugh at us. Will probably have to limit it to 5-6 people at a time. I will wait until all distributions are done and jig(s) are in hand. Keep subscribed to the thread for updates... and if anyone else pops in with a venue for us that would be great! I suppose Champe/Ares option still is on the table for those interested in traveling or paying a little more.

I did mention most people were fine tossing a few bucks his way, contributing with bits/tools, and/or bringing food/drink. He's also interested in a lower or three and ammo. I figure we can figure something out. More to come, but I figure we can't do much until these are in our hands!

Hey guys, any progress on this? I'd really like to get my lower finished and the LPK installed. Winter is saying we need a party before he'll give us the lowers (ridiculous), so let's just get one organized. Please, does anyone have tools and is willing to host? I can definitely bring some food or something and cash.

I think it's any build parties would be getting theirs first, then anyone not in one would get theirs. Of course he needs to get them first [hmmm]

I've mentioned to him that we're unable to plan our party until he pushes lowers out. Also, I think I've got to get my hands on another 10 or 15 for our host... let me know if anyone knows of an extra we can work with!

I built mine @ Golddiggies and could attend this one as well. I can bring my roll pin holders and starter punches if there is interest.

I cannot stress enough to bring LPKs with you to test fit your parts to check if they need additional milling.

Not sure when you guys want to do this. I do not have my lower yet (did not get it from the GB) but I am willing to host a Build Party at my place in Arlington. I have a Bay and a half Detached garage with a compressor and a drill press and vice. No other large tooling though. I would love to wait until my lower comes in but I'm not exactly sure when that will happen. I picked mine up from Fealty Arms. If you guys can wait that long I will probably set one up for the middle of June (but that's probably to late).

Edit: I also have a decent sized yard with a swing set and a grill if anyone wants to have their family come later on in the day for a BBQ

Last edited:
We're finding that with what we've been given (for lowers and crap jigs) that just a drill press won't cover. The jigs we got [from winter] (supposed to be getting the actual jigs at some point, no idea when) they'll work for a couple of lowers before the side holes go completely FUBAR and are useless. The top plates are just about as useless too.

If anyone wants to attend a build session up in Nashua, PM me. Or post on my group buy thread. We have raw lowers, but not sure how many 'extra' units we will have (after taking care of those already committed to coming up).

If some of you want to come up and observe how things are going, just let me know. That would at least give you an idea of what's involved.

Back
Top Bottom