• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

7mm mauser

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I just ordered brass, dies and cast bullets for a new reloading project. This state is such a pain in the ass but I'm a stubborn SOB and got it all even though I had to go to a different vendor for each item.

What brand of bullets? I’ve enjoyed this guy Norm Purcella (thanks to @NavelOfficer) who makes cast and coated gas checked bullets. Pretty accurate with trailboss out of my A3 and K31.

I ordered them from Norm, also on the advice of Navel Officer. I've tried Trailboss in other calibers but my usual cast bullet rifle powder is 5744. I'll try that and 2400.

Range report! Interested to see how they work.

I may have to cook up some trail boss loads for the K31. Will have to work on a cast boolit that will work with the short K31 throat.

Range report! Interested to see how they work.

I may have to cook up some trail boss loads for the K31. Will have to work on a cast boolit that will work with the short K31 throat.
I’m using Norm’s coated gas checked 170 gr silhouette bullet over 13 gr of trailboss at 2.73". I was getting good accuracy out to 120 yards and it works with the short throat. Of course it varies gun to gun so you’ll have to play around.
FEEFE4FF-0C1D-482A-9120-A57EB3C98216.jpeg

I have a really nice custom XP-100 pistol that I picked up on the forum a couple years ago. Caliber is 7BR. Brass for this is unobtainium so lighter cast loads might be a really good idea for some range fun.

Gerry, you wouldn't happen to know what mold Norm's might use?

have any of those flat nose cast bullets left ? give them a try? I sized mine to 309" for the swiss loads.
NOE bullet molds had a K31specific mold at one point. NOE 311-180-FN

If interested, I have at least three boxes (might be partial boxes, ie. < 100 count) of .284" diameter jacketed bullets.
Let me find them...

...okay, 95ct. Hornady#2835 154g RN, 88 ct. Speer#1620 120g Soft Point, 44 ct. Speer #1617 115g HP.
It's possible that I have a few cast bullets in my stash, too (this will take more involved digging).
I don't shoot anything in 7mm and I'm not reloading them for anyone else, so you could convince me to part with these.

Have you tried the Lyman 311359? That should be stubby enough for the K31.
Rifle Bullet Moulds
I've used the other M1 Carbine bullet (311410) for powderpuff loads; it is a plain-based bullet. I haven't cast the 311359 in ages.

Attachments

• 311410.jpg
    311410.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 3
Thanks @NavelOfficer . Now that you mention stubby carbine bullets, I have a mold and a few of the NOE Ranch Dogs cast. Same as below pictured, but IIRC mine is not the tumble lube version.

meplat03t.jpg

Apologies to OP for the thread drift.

The plated FN .30-30 bullets from xtreme or Berrys will work, but the flat nose doesn't always allow smooth, rapid feeding.
30-30

Attachments

• 7.5Swz(1).jpg
    7.5Swz(1).jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 7
The discussion wandered a bit to a bullet that might be suitable for the 7.5x55 swiss but my rolling block is a model 1901 in 7mm mauser.

Yes, sorry about that.
Your Rolling Block should be a blast, especially in a fine caliber like 7x57mm.
A friend brought over an Argentine contract in .43 Spanish one time. Sadly, .43 Spanish isn't as common as 7mm Mauser and our shooting was limited to the dozen or so berdan-primed reloads that I had. Still a hoot to shoot, but didn't get much trigger time.

That's OK. This whole discussion is about reloading problems and solutions. I was looking for a .43 Spanish in good shape but found this 7mm. It is a pleasure to shoot.

I shot a coated gc 170 grain cast with the following:
10 grains of Unique shot great
18 grains of 4759 shot pretty bad
20 grains of 5744 shot awful
If I had to guess I'd say that the small bore and fast twist doesn't like cast bullets except at low velocity.

I'll try IMR 4227 and see how it shoots compared to Unique. I'll try 2400 as soon as I can find some.

FWIW, I've run less than perfect cast bullets (Lyman #266469) sans gas checks out of my Swedish m96 with less than 7.0 grains of W473AA. They shoot better than I can. Generally, plain-based cast bullets should be held to under 1200 feet per second.
I don't recall how fast I've tried to push gas-checked varieties, so I can't comment much about that. P6260020.JPG

I shot a coated gc 170 grain cast with the following:
10 grains of Unique shot great
18 grains of 4759 shot pretty bad
20 grains of 5744 shot awful
If I had to guess I'd say that the small bore and fast twist doesn't like cast bullets except at low velocity.

I'll try IMR 4227 and see how it shoots compared to Unique. I'll try 2400 as soon as I can find some.
Is it worth trying trailboss?

I have Trailboss and may try it but it would have to shoot very well to beat the Unique loads.
Yeah I'll be surprised if they outshoot the Unique loads. Of course TB is worth using if you want the least amount of recoil etc.

Harvard was crowded for a week day but I found a place to shoot the rolling block. I shot 10 grains of Unique and 18 grains of IMR 4227. The 4227 shot significantly better than the Unique. I'll still try the 2400 when I can find some but I think I've found the load I was looking for.

Isn't 4198 a stick powder? I try to stay away from stick powders especially in this rolling block. The stick powders I've used have gotten into the action and made it very difficult to operate.

I loaded some more IMR4227 in the 7mm mauser Rolling Block. 18 gr shot well, 19 gr was not very good and 20gr was the best. The load was a Norm Purcella 170 grain cast gc coated bullet sized .285. groups were fired from the bench at 100 yards and all groups were 9 rounds because that's how much empty brass I had. The 20 grain group was 3 1/4 inches which was slightly better than the 18 grain load and much better than the 19 grain. With open sights and old eyes that's about as well as I can do. I'll try 20 grains again with the bullet seated as far out as the die will allow. Norm doesn't offer other sizing options but said he could apply another coat and not re size to see how much it increases the diameter. I haven't slugged the bore yet so I'm not sure I even need a larger bullet.

I loaded some more IMR4227 in the 7mm mauser Rolling Block. 18 gr shot well, 19 gr was not very good and 20gr was the best. The load was a Norm Purcella 170 grain cast gc coated bullet sized .285. groups were fired from the bench at 100 yards and all groups were 9 rounds because that's how much empty brass I had. The 20 grain group was 3 1/4 inches which was slightly better than the 18 grain load and much better than the 19 grain. With open sights and old eyes that's about as well as I can do. I'll try 20 grains again with the bullet seated as far out as the die will allow. Norm doesn't offer other sizing options but said he could apply another coat and not re size to see how much it increases the diameter. I haven't slugged the bore yet so I'm not sure I even need a larger bullet.
3moa is with iron sights is very respectful.

The IMR4227 and the 2400 shot about the same at 100 yards. Each put 10 rounds in a bit under 4". I loaded some as far out as the die will allow and will try them tomorrow. I may try a tang sight.

It's probably not news to most of you, but I haven't ordered for quite awhile.
Norm has a website, if you weren't aware...

The second time I ordered was from his new website. His 7mm coated bullets work well in the rolling block. I can't decide between 2400 and IMR4227. Accuracy is the same and both meter better and are more accurate than 5744.

Back
Top Bottom